Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Cybertron.ca Marketplace > Transformers On Ebay

Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
Protoman
The Legend
Re: Do people here still use Ebay?

Selling, almost never.

Buying, like a mofo.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #12
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshimus View Post
I ask this only because a few months back I used ebay to sell off some stuff. I did not know of their new final value fees on shipping so I was surprsied to see it and lost money because of it. It was only a few auctions so not the end of the world but it has certainly put me off of using ebay.
I've been reading up on it and apparently Ebay feels that buyers like "free" shipping so they are trying to encourage buyers to buy yet somehow punish the sellers and not seem to care.
So anyway, just out of curiosity, since I am looking to sell more stuff, is ebay even worth it anymore when I pay final value fee on the total AND shipping? It doesn't seem like it to me.
Ebay doesn't have any intention of improving their marketplace, they've made clear they want to grow into a logistics and financial services company via Paypal and other investments they've made.

Gentlemen, it will be our honour and our pleasure to fix a lot of this when the ShelfLife marketplace goes live in April.

On top of our constantly improving (and free) collection management tools, the marketplace will allow for automatic matching of buyers and sellers far beyond anything Ebay has every allowed us to do. Fees will be FREE for buyers and for your first 2 sales per month, and 50% below Ebay fees beyond that. You'll be able to subscribe to catalogues, have vendors fulfill entire sets for you and save massively on shipping.

More to the point ShelfLife is by collectors, for collectors and we're still small enough to make your recommendations and requests a serious priority.

Work with us to build our ultimate playground and you won't be sorry.

For those that don't know, our beta test is now open, so anyone can use the site simply signing up over at ShelfLifex.com.

Tell us how you want things to work, and we'll get to it if it makes sense for the collective....

At your service,

James & Team ShelfLife

faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 AM   #13
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Sigh........

Nope, ebay has always been too much of a pain in the arse for me. I would consider buying off it but I would never sell anything there.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 AM   #14
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

I'd be in that boat as well, but I've literally been able to find anything I want cheaper through message boards & classifieds, and there's also a much stronger sense of reliability that way too. It can take a bit longer to find things, but Shelflife (good plug was good haha) will probably fill that gap, and yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Buying: Sometimes, but only after exhausting every other alternative.
Selling: No chance in hell. Not worth the hassle.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

In the last year I have bought Iphone cases and Bow Ties. Shipping is too much for anything else...
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
Pascal
Banned

I just bought xc skis for my daughter yesterday. The only place I could find skis her size!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Buying wise yes, because I was able to find a Japanese Armada Tidal Wave that I doubt would pop up on the sale forums.

Selling wise, I haven't yet, but there are some stuff I've been meaning to. I should look into that

Last edited by ConvoyGTR; 03-16-2012 at 04:21 PM.
ConvoyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #19
Summit
Banned

That's not the reason they charge final value, it's because people would sell a Fortress Maximus for $1 but $900 for shipping because Ebay used to only charge a percentage for the selling price. It was a way to get around paying the Ebay fees so they had to punish all of us to stop this.

I still use it to buy but I don't use the North American sites, they're a rip off. In other parts of the world Transformers aren't as collectible so I use ebay.co.uk for most of my stuff, it's super cheap. And a lot of the time I use ebay.nl (Netherlands) as well, that's where I got my Full Tilt gun for $51 shipped and my Fast Track gun for $16. And if it's something with a unique name I'll use global.ebay.com to search worldwide.
Summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
Mike
Robot Master
Mike's Ebay Auctions

I don't sell on Ebay anymore due to the following reasons

1 - Shipping from Canada is crazy and no one wants to pay to have something shipped from Canada, when they can get from the US from much cheaper.

2 - If you have no Credit Card (which I don't) PayPal started locking funds untill after you've shipped an item if its over like $50 dollars or some number. So if you can't even use the money you made to ship the item, unless you have your own cash on hand.

3 - the fee's have just become so high, its not worth selling anything on there unless you got it for free or next to nothingm

4 - Kijiji

I still buy every now and then, but I can't even do that anymore now, since PayPal messed up my account and I no longer have access to it. I've tried everything, including phoning them and getting their reps to try and fix it but they don't know whats going on either, so I'm stuck with a broken account I can't use, and I can't even start a new one, cuz my bank account and phone number are attatched to the broken one, and they won't remove it for me. Great service!!
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote