Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 11-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #41
timcrook
Cybertron
Re: Masterpiece Dinobot Color Prototype Images

Regarding the high price, I think they are seeing what fans of bw are willing to pay. Saying it is parts count or paint isn't a legit reason imo because hasbro mp movie Optimus and Bee together ($260 cad) is still cheaper than this ($260usd).
Old 11-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #42
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by predahank View Post
the proper term is "rage quit" lol
lol!

This is one reason I'm glad to have sold off 80% of my collection. I can justify a couple big purchases a year, rather than get those big ones and all the little ones.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #43
Pgianos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
lol!

This is one reason I'm glad to have sold off 80% of my collection. I can justify a couple big purchases a year, rather than get those big ones and all the little ones.
Word to big Bird.
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #44
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post
Regarding the high price, I think they are seeing what fans of bw are willing to pay. Saying it is parts count or paint isn't a legit reason imo because hasbro mp movie Optimus and Bee together ($260 cad) is still cheaper than this ($260usd).
The interview talked at lengths about the difficulties with the design and engineering, making it as show-accurate as possible. Also that BW figures/characters present an additional challenge, as it is a "double-action-figure", in that is needs to be poseable and expressive in both modes. Whereas most (re: all) G1 MP turn from a splendid robot into a fancy brick. Like the car mode might have opening doors or hood or whatever but it's essentially static; unmoving; a block. It also removes the crutch of being able to hide all the robot bits on the underside like so many cars do, the belly of an animal is far more visible. The fans wouldn't have accepted a kibbl-y velociraptor statue for $200, so we got a panel-y mobile one for $300.

Bee and Prime have set, static alt modes, they turn from a robot to a block in the shape of the vehicle they're meant to represent. When you transform them, they kinda just.... sit there. Being a successful (and cheap) transformer is a lot easier when one of your modes doesn't have to do anything. MPM Bee retails for $130 CAD and is about the size of a deluxe. Dinobot looks to be Leader-sized or bigger. There's probably three times the plastic in Dinobot than Bee. Prime is a more comparable size, but his truck mode is literally just a truck. It rolls, and doesn't even integrate his weapons like the ROTF leader (which is bigger, and in my opinion, better, for half the price, but I digress). So comparing Dinobot to the MPM's, it's clear to me that both more effeort was needed for Dinobot to succeed, and it seems than even more effort was given for Dinobot as the designers went above and beyond to give love to this character and this figure.

Keeping in mind, especially in the first season, BW characters spent A LOT of time in their animal modes, and talked and interacted with each other, when I think of Dinobot I think of him sneering as a dino before as a robot. To give us a stiff, unmoving velociraptor would be a disservice to the character and undeserving of the title of "Masterpiece".

That being said, it still costs too fucking much, but understanding the difficulties in creating this figure make the price a little easier to comprehend
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:49 PM   #45
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post
Can't really use Bayverse MP as comparison. There have been so many different version of Bayverse Prime and Bee. The latest MP maybe the best versions of their characters' designs but their basic design/transformation had been done and redone for the last 10 years while MP BW is almost completely one-off.