Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 AM   #261
prime13
mendōkusei...
Re: Customizing Q&A Thread

Hello. I am looking for good places to buy styrene and a good bonding adhesive and Primer.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:52 AM   #262
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMnky View Post
I'm looking to replace the head on my Alternity Megs, I don't care about the engine cover plate thingy, but I was hoping to find something more Beast Megs looking to match the Reprolabel set I got him... Any suggestions?
have you tried looking at cybertron deluxe beast megatron?i think his head would fit pretty good with a bit of shaving here and there and the face/likeness is there already
Old 01-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #263
CyberMnky
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
have you tried looking at cybertron deluxe beast megatron?i think his head would fit pretty good with a bit of shaving here and there and the face/likeness is there already
Thanks for the suggestion, Thanks to Nocturn already getting one hooked up.

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #264
dak
Master Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime13 View Post
Hello. I am looking for good places to buy styrene and a good bonding adhesive and Primer.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
not sure what's out where you live, but a hobby store for styrene and brush paints, Canadian tire for sprays and adhesives.
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #265
SamiWCP
Alternator

The latest custom I'll be doing for someone is a Ttransmetal 2 Tigerhawk..This guy doesn't look like he's gonna be a lot of fun to take apart..But anyways, the guy wants the parts of the figure that are blue chrome to be painted gold...When repainting a figure--is chromed paint an issue? Does it take to spray paints as well as anything else or should I strip it? And if so, how do you go about removing chromed or metallic paints?
SamiWCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #266
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

well that depends on what paint you use.

For Anubus' car body I used this:

It does the job of looking like actual gold, just don't use enamel sealer on it; the gold gets defused slightly.

This is about all I can suggest as I'm not an expert on chrome paint
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #267
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiWCP View Post
The latest custom I'll be doing for someone is a Ttransmetal 2 Tigerhawk..This guy doesn't look like he's gonna be a lot of fun to take apart..But anyways, the guy wants the parts of the figure that are blue chrome to be painted gold...When repainting a figure--is chromed paint an issue? Does it take to spray paints as well as anything else or should I strip it? And if so, how do you go about removing chromed or metallic paints?
that vacuum metallized coating on him(met. blue parts) is a total bit#h to try spraying.it has a tendency to "spider crack/vein the minute you hit it with any kind of enamel,be it base,primer or clear.if there's any kind of cracks in the "metallized" surface,the reducers in the paint itself will seep underneath the metalized parts and pretty much ruin your new coat of paint.even if you were lucky enough to get a nice coat to stick to it,then you have to worry about the metallized coating itself flaking of which is unfortunately widespread among the beastwars/beastmachines figs.the best bet is to use a fine/semi coarse wire brush and strip it all off,then you shouldn't have any adhesion problems with your new paint.(i only know this because i repainted beastmachines ultra jetstorm 3 times total to make the botcon version.the first 2 times there was alot of cursing going on in both chinese and vietnamese,till i stripped off all the vacuum metalized coatings the third time)
Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #268
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

oh removing...

*facepalms* -_-; gotta read the whole topic before I reply
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #269
TTT
OutOfCommissionToys.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiWCP View Post
Strip off the chrome first, light sanding(nail file) and rubbing alc. to assist in recessed areas works great for me.(more sanding than anything else)

Last edited by TTT; 01-27-2010 at 10:00 PM.
TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #270
SamiWCP
Alternator

And for the first time I have to admit failure. While my heart really wasn't into doing repaints again..And I should have researched who this figure was before I agreed to it, and noticed all that vacuum sealed chrome and metallic paints etc..It was just too much to try and remove it..not to mention that silly figure is nothing but frikking spring loaded parts and pins etc..ugh. Headache. I've never failed at a repaint before..but this time I have to call it. Blah. Anyone have a spare Tigerhawk body for sale?
SamiWCP is offline   Reply With Quote