Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #11
bishop
Generation 2
Re: Collection ideas

Delta magnus is really nice, probably the most underrated MP repaint. Then, MP10 and a Datsun/Lambor. Print out a background and it would make a terrific display.

For Decepticon, MP megs is very nice but a bit pricy. Soundwave and one of Starscream, Skywarp or Thundercracker would make a nice trio.

Good luck and take your time, don't rush! You can always have the opportunity to find good deals, if you are patient.
bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #12
Hoffman
Generation 1

Go for things that really stand out for you. If you try and decide by character, it's easy to end up with stuff in your collection that really isn't up to par.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
79transam
Machine War

I would offer a counter opinion about official holding their value.
I think that used to be true, but today with the markets flooded by reissue after reissue, inconsistencies in pricing from asia and japan to north america, I don't think many have the opportunity to get back what they spent on official
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:40 PM   #14
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

I will sell my Classics/CHUGs first. Hopefully I can get a lot for them.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #15
Deception
Crossover

be a man. just buy everything. BE A MAN
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #16
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

I am just curious. When you go to a restaurant or café, do you ask other patrons what you should eat or drink? When you go to a supermarket or grocery store, do you ask other shoppers what you should buy for dinner?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #17
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
I am just curious. When you go to a restaurant or café, do you ask other patrons what you should eat or drink? When you go to a supermarket or grocery store, do you ask other shoppers what you should buy for dinner?
No why? why I am not allowed to ask other members their opinion? if you don't like the thread and the questions asked, then don't comment, as simple as that. Nobody is asking you to comment.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:37 AM   #18
CanBot
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
No why? why I am not allowed to ask other members their opinion? if you don't like the thread and the questions asked, then don't comment, as simple as that. Nobody is asking you to comment.
I wouldn't get too worked up over this particular response, Ironwave. Remember that collecting is a hobby itself, and just as there are many things to collect, there are just as many people out there with their own ideas and viewpoints.

"Why ask why"...people approach the hobby in different ways. We're all affected by the opinions of others, to some small degree...perhaps some say they are not, and that's their right, but I don't see it. If you're a healthy, functioning adult in society, then you have to give at least a partial shit of the opinions of others. I'm getting away from the point, however.

Just as the poster could choose 'not' to ask why the opinions of others is important to you, you had the choice to respond in a variety of ways. I take it you didn't like being called out with the question, and that's fair.

The simple 'answer' is to collect what you like. What YOU like. This can be a lot more difficult than people admit. Collectors can go deep down the rabbit hole, much like I am digging here. The reasons you collect, what you like, your budget...all that stuff. You sound like you've come to a point that I did a couple years ago: go MP, for the most part. I had my reasons. I'm sure you have yours. Some people will keep collecting very simple; others, not so much. I'm sure if people knew the reasons I collect what I do, how I go about it, the questions I pose to myself, the things I read about TFs on the various boards...first, it might bore them, or maybe some would find it compelling, to some degree.

My only advice is this: nobody knows you like you do. Ask yourself honestly: Why do I collect Transformers? From there, a stark honest answer will help you shape the direction of your collection (nice rhyme, eh?). Ultimately, it's a strength when you can choose for yourself exactly what you want to own. But maybe in the beginning it's helpful for others to provide a framework, or at least opinions on how you could start.

I can only offer my own experiences as modest advice, but I can say in the years I've been doing this, to look back at the first MP I owned...the feelings I had in researching MPs, the fair amount of disappointment when finally getting it, the shifting of what I wanted in the beginning versus where it is today...all sorts of things that I'm sure you'll figure out for yourself in the long run.

Once you get a grip on that early stuff, then you can learn more about yourself and how this all fits into the bigger picture.

Or you can just buy everything Hey, at least that's a simple criteria

Good luck in any case!
Old 06-15-2017, 01:55 AM   #19
79transam
Machine War

I ask people in restaurants what's good there. You never know, that regular might have some insight into an awesome chefs salad.

Actually sometimes I just ask the server for whatevers on special and hold the onions.

It's pretty logical to ask for insight into a hobby before jumping in, especially when you are somewhat aware that many hefty purchases can lead to elation or disappointed regrets
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:06 AM   #20
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

If I were to start with (official) Masterpieces I will go for MP10 Prime and MP36 Megatron. Unless you simply loathe these two leaders they are must have. Then I will go for US ver. MP Soundwave because it is a better value then the Japanese counterpart. Ultra Magnus and Delta Magnus are nice too. Oh, the G2 Lambor/Sideswipe looks cooler than the G1 ver. with a different weapons set. Should also consider one of the MP11 base Seekers, too.

If you want to dip into Masterpiece-ish 3rd parties the Fans Toys Phoenix/not-Skyfire is a nice to have (I am on the verge of getting one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
I will sell my Classics/CHUGs first. Hopefully I can get a lot for them.
Good luck! These were made in abandonce (dispite inconsistence stock levels reported in the Sighting threads) so unless you have exclusives, etc. you are not going to be a happy camper. Be patience while selling.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote