Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #21
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag
Re: Beast Wars 15th Anniversary

Beast Wars was my childhood. Pure and simple.

It was such a great show. I can't help but think of how well developed every character was. You just get to know them so well that anybody who has watched the entirety of BW could take those characters, could take any of those characters and put them in any situation and you'd know what they'd do. Say for example the Maximals went out for pizza. What kind of toppings would they want? Rattrap would probably want cheese, maybe with some anchovies too. Rhinox would want veggie. Dinobot would want meat lovers. Optimus seems like either a classic pepperoni or a Hawaiian kind of guy, but wouldn't really be too fussy. Cheetor I think would want something with chicken on it. In the end I think they'd end up getting 3 pizzas. Cheetor and Rattrap would probably get 1 together, maybe a deluxe with chicken and anchovies. Optimus and Rhinox would share a veggie pizza. And Dinobot would get his own meat lovers, but when he went to the washroom Cheetor and/or Rattrap would sneak a slice of his. Then he'd come back and be like, "RAWR! Who took a piece of my pizza?! I had 4 slices and now I only have 3. It was you! Wasn't it, vermin?!"
"Eh! I don't know whatcha talkin' about, lizard lips. Looks to me like you can't count on those scaly toes of yours!"
"Grrr, you lie! I can smell the Italian sausage on your breathe, you thieving rodent!"
"Now Dinobot, hold on. So what if Rattrap took a piece of your pie? You have a whole pizza to yourself while the rest of us are sharing. Couldn't you share a little? It's just 1 slice."
"But it was the biggest slice, Optimus! With the most toppings on it! I was saving that one for last!"
"Enough, Dinobot! We'll discuss it back at base. We're in public place here. Don't make a scene."
"Hm. Lucky for you my code of honor also extends to table manners, rat."

And you could do the same with the Predacons. Imagine them at a video rental store. What kind of movie do you think they'd each want to rent for their movie night? Tarantulas would want to see some sort of horror movie, like Saw. Terrorsaur would probably want to watch a big budget action movie. Waspinator would want to watch a romantic comedy. Megatron, I think, would like an old classic like the Godfather. Blackarachnia would probably like some sort of dark romance movie. Maybe something with vampires. I'm tempted to say Twilight, but I think she's more of a Romeo and Juliet kind of girl. Tragic love stories like that. Inferno would probably dig one of those old black and white monsters/aliens attack movies. You know the ones with the "giant" insects rampaging all over town, which are really just real bugs crawling over a miniature set. Speaking of, Rampage? Easy. Frankenstein. Scorponok is tough though, mainly because he got the least character build up of anyone else, but I think he'd probably go for some sappy romance/bromance movie. After all, the poor guy just wants to be loved.

So am I right? The BW characters are so cemented, so realized, that it's like they're almost real people. You could probably right an entire Facebook profile on each of them just telling what their likes and dislikes would be. Like music. We know Primal likes the oldies. What do you guys think the rest of the Beasties like in terms of music? Favourite TV show? Favourite food? Favourite video game? Or anything else you can come up with.

Last edited by UltraPrimal; 09-17-2011 at 01:40 AM.
UltraPrimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #22
shockwing
Please, call me Bringer

its what intoduced me to Transformers, the problem was that I didnt know english since I was in a diffrent country, used to call Maximals-manimals and Predacons-Prettycons.
Dinobot was the only name I remember as a kid since he has the simplist name and is my favourite and everybody else I called by what ever they transform into
shockwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:54 AM   #23
sikkbones
Banned

Trukk not Munky....

i'm trolling lol.. but someone had to say it already....

but this was the show that held my intrest in transformers during my mid 20s when i was too old and sophisticated to colect kids toys... then i had a little boy... and yeah, that whole attitude didnt last long...
sikkbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #24
ekf.kurt
Generation 1
Send a message via MSN to ekf.kurt

Beast Wars cemented my love for Transformers. I was too young to really grasp G1 when it was on (I was 1 in 1984), but Beasties hit at just the right time for me. I watched religiously right through to the end of Beast Machines, and watched the reruns as often as I could.
It still holds up as my favorite Transformers Fiction.

Newest Post - Seeing Double (August 8th, 2013)
Wanted: Masterpiece Soundwave/Beast Hunters Predacons/Classics Skywarp
PS3!! Add me: SourBackBacon
ekf.kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #25
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

I loved Beasties when it came on, and I can vaguley remember some of the toys on the shelf. But as much as I used to have a G1 collection back in the day, this wasn't enough to get me back in. It would take another 12 years or so before I bought my first transformer since the 80s.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #26
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

I didn't even know that a "new" transformer show was starting...I was looking for something to watch until Xena came on at 9 pm....flippin through the channels and ended on YTV...
"Up next, Beasties" what the hell is that? oh well...I've got an hour to kill. left it on....No intro...just right into the action.
Are those CG robots???? MEGATRON???? what is this??? I must have watched the whole thing with my mouth open...by the end I had such a case of dry mouth I ate half a box of Popsicles, lol. I taped it the next time they aired it so I could watch it again and see the credits. Finally a good Transformers show that could wash the bad taste of G2 away.
I remembered those "beast wars" toys after watching it and began to search them out. I wish they would bring over the anime Beast wars shows from Japan and have our cast do the voices, that would be Prime.
Matrix_Holder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #27
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
I didn't even know that a "new" transformer show was starting...I was looking for something to watch until Xena came on at 9 pm....flippin through the channels and ended on YTV...
"Up next, Beasties" what the hell is that? oh well...I've got an hour to kill. left it on....No intro...just right into the action.
Are those CG robots???? MEGATRON???? what is this??? I must have watched the whole thing with my mouth open...by the end I had such a case of dry mouth I ate half a box of Popsicles, lol. I taped it the next time they aired it so I could watch it again and see the credits. Finally a good Transformers show that could wash the bad taste of G2 away.
I remembered those "beast wars" toys after watching it and began to search them out. I wish they would bring over the anime Beast wars shows from Japan and have our cast do the voices, that would be Prime.
DUDE. I have almost the same story! I was a TF fan from birth, almost, in 81, and bought G2, and saw the BW toys when they first hit stores but wasn't interested. I kept hearing this YTV credits tag"Animals in new CGI adventure from the creators of REBOOT, it's Beasties." Sounded lame. One day I'm on my bed, zoning out watching YTV, and I hear "UP NEXT... BEASTIES." The hell? Eh. I'll watch it.

Credits start. Okay. Music's decent but it's a bunch of animals in CGI.

"BEEEEASTIES."

And beneath that word:

"Transformers."

Mind was blown and allllll of a sudden I was VERY into this. Wowwwwww... and it turned into the single-best media concept of Transformers to date (I love G1 but look, the show and comics are really not very good. BW was extremely well-written and rewarding). Hyperbole aside, after the whimper of G2 and TFs almost disappearing it was amazing to have them come back.

How many other Canadians had the same reaction of "Eh, Beasties?" If they'd called it "Beast Wars" I would have responded with "Isn't that the new Transformers?" But I had no idea. And that made the first viewing even more amazing. =)

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #28
Icetron

BW is my childhood for TFs. I knew nothing about Transformers as a kid (90s kid) so it wasn't until the 2007 movie came out when I realized I already loved Transformers (in the form of BW) since I was a kid. The show means a lot to me, I actually bought most of my favourite characters/toys when I started collecting in 2007. I don't think I'll be selling most of them.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #29
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Raised on G1, so when I first saw the bot to animal toys I laughed my ass off and said the typical, "WTF were they thinking?" Didn't give it too much thought afterwards since I wasn't collecting anymore. Then a friend from work mentioned the show, and I scoffed. He described the show a bit and claimed the writing was really good. Long story short, after watching about three episodes, I was hunting stores for toys again. Kept me hunting until the end of RID. The CGI is primitive, but damn if the writing isn't still the best Transformers has ever seen. (Disclaimer: I'm only upto Ep10 on Prime)
Old 09-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #30
Big Filipino
Protectobot

I loved the shows but pretty much stayed away from the toys. I really enjoyed the animated and the story lines. This series pretty much ranks up there behind G1 and maybe a tie with Animated for second best. Hard decision.
Big Filipino is offline   Reply With Quote