Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Sonray
Banned
Alternators Bumblebee

Here is something im really proud of, Alt Bumblebee.

Yes i know i know, basically everyone has made one so i tried to do something new and original just to make it stand out from the rest a bit.

So i heavily modified the front end to look less like a Subaru and thus making it look like a bit more than a straight repaint, added Lamboghini style doors (thanks to everyone at www.sector70.com ((especially Wheeljack)) for helping me figure out how to do this), as well as new rims and some extra details to the interior.

I gave him a kick ass Daytona yellow paint job with racing stripes as a tribute to movie BB, and then i painted the headlights black to make the front end look like the face of an actual bumble bee. (see if you can notice the "ghost insignias" inside the headlights). And the mean looking muscle-bound cartoon bumble bees on the sides are hand painted on with enamels and a VERY steady hand for an extra touch of coolness. All topped off with a cheeky smirk on the head mod that i made.

Overall im very pleased with this and he looks excellent next to my other alts.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Optimus_Prime
Teensformer
Re: Alternators Bumblebee

You chose a good mold to use! Looks great!

Old 06-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

love it

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
Old 06-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Nocturn
Previously Dead

That is something you should really be proud of. Actually changing the Alt Mode = Win.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
Ozrein
Stunticon

Very nice. Really like the little changes and details.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Tech Spec
Canadian Slag

Those cartoon bees on the sides are awesome and love the rims on that bad boy too
Old 06-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Nemesis Predaking
Wears Sunglasses at Night

The yellow looks good, However the paint on stripes & headlights look chunky & uneven.
The lack of details on Bot mode is also something that stand out to me.
I would have expected much more from you given your TFTM customs

You know you're an old nerd when you feel the effects of inflation on action figures.
Youtube Twitter

Last edited by Nemesis Predaking; 06-15-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Sonray
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Predaking View Post
The yellow looks good, However the paint on stripes & headlights look chunky & uneven.
The lack of details on Bot mode is also something that stand out to me.
I would have expected much more from you given your TFTM customs
Its an alt, theres not much room for painted details, especially considering they are G1 based, how many alts have you seen with heaps of movie toy repaint-like detail? The lack of which is intentional on this.

I dont see how you think the paint on the stripes looks chunky cos its not, its as smooth as glass. The headlights though i agree with, but nothings perfect.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
Nemesis Predaking
Wears Sunglasses at Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonray View Post
Its an alt, theres not much room for painted details, especially considering they are G1 based, how many alts have you seen with heaps of movie toy repaint-like detail? The lack of which is intentional on this.

I dont see how you think the paint on the stripes looks chunky cos its not, its as smooth as glass. The headlights though i agree with, but nothings perfect.
Yes your right there is not much room for details, but with what room you have you could have easily put some black on the lower arm & lower torso or even taken your white from the bee's wings & added some small details to the upper arms & upper legs. As far as your stripes they look chunky because of the fact that they are uneven. They are not uniform & seems to have small chunks missing along the edges. Whether or not you paint them by hand makes no difference.

As far as "how many alts have you seen with heaps of movie toy repaint-like detail?" I never said it should look like a TFTM repaint. I simply said with your previous custom's I would expected more out of you on this one.

I fail to understand how you can point out everyone else flaws with there own customs, but if somebody (like myself) says something even remotely negative about your work. You cannot view it as constructive criticism. You once said to me about my Classics Dirge custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonRay
Some areas look rough and splotchy, the paint isnt very well applied in those areas, but they are tiny areas so only anal detail-freaks like me will notice.
Well call me an anal detail-freak as well now too.
Take what people say as constructive criticism & not as a slam agaisnt you or your work. You may find that you won't be banned from site anymore.

You know you're an old nerd when you feel the effects of inflation on action figures.
Youtube Twitter
Old 06-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
Sonray
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Predaking View Post
Yes your right there is not much room for details, but with what room you have you could have easily put some black on the lower arm & lower torso or even taken your white from the bee's wings & added some small details to the upper arms & upper legs. As far as your stripes they look chunky because of the fact that they are uneven. They are not uniform & seems to have small chunks missing along the edges. Whether or not you paint them by hand makes no difference.

As far as "how many alts have you seen with heaps of movie toy repaint-like detail?" I never said it should look like a TFTM repaint. I simply said with your previous custom's I would expected more out of you on this one.

I fail to understand how you can point out everyone else flaws with there own customs, but if somebody (like myself) says something even remotely negative about your work. You cannot view it as constructive criticism. You once said to me about my Classics Dirge custom.

Well call me an anal detail-freak as well now too.
Take what people say as constructive criticism & not as a slam agaisnt you or your work. You may find that you won't be banned from site anymore.

Listen buddy, i dont need "constructive criticism" when it sounds like someone nit-picking at tiny flaws.
I put a lot of work into this and i think its awesome and i love it, so im going to defend it.
I havnt seen anyone do racing stripes as well as i have before, certainly not you so if you can do better id like to see.
And the fact that they are hand painted DOES make a difference, because if you use a computer to make decals then obviously they will look perfect, but thats a lazy and lame way to do things and just makes your work look like soul-less mass-produced crap. (excluding small details like number plates and badges etc etc)
If a person can make stuff look awesome all by their self with their own skills and hands then that says a lot for their work and their abilities as an artist.

The stripes are fine all things considered, i too see a very tiny difference in the lines here and there as ive done racing stripes on a real cars before so i have an eye for this stuff and i KNOW they are a bit off, but i dont care. I could have fixed them but i was tired of working on the same project and i wanted to wrap it up. Besides small flaws is what doing things by hand is all about. EVERY custom has them.

You try and make racing stripes and see if you get them perfect the first time! Hell you wouldn't even had mentioned them if i hadn't of gone for the more complicated and stylish pin-striped look!

Just to clarify i didnt add more detail to the bot mode as i wanted to keep a G1 look like all alts are, so you need to keep things simple. Maybe you think it would look better with more details but i dont, but you dont need to basically say that its a poor custom job because of a personal distaste for my choice of paint apps.

Its an alt, not a movie toy, different molds call for different details to be highlighted and if i had put as much detail onto an alt as i do a movie toy this would have looked stupid, then you would have moaned...sorry, given "constructive critique" about that too i bet.

And dont even start the BS about being banned as you know nothing about the circumstances. But one fact i can share is it had nothing to do with disagreements with peoples "constructive critique".

The problem we have is the way you came across, you (and others) need to learn how to give constructive critique properly without just sounding like a condescending ass who's just nit picking peoples work apart.

I can take constructive critique and i even welcome it but not when its given out in a "oh this looks stupid you should have done this and those dont look right neither" kind of stuck up attitude.
Closed Thread