Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
GotBot
Nexus Maximus
The Toys R Us issues and what it means for collectors

This time is briefly discuss and evaluate the the recent Toys R Us news and whether or not it maters. And, if so, then how does it affect collectors and are there other obvious day-to-day things they should probably consider doing/improving upon. Thanks for your time and support. Please, let me know what you think about it all too!
https://youtu.be/YybkVJCf-vU
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:55 PM   #2
Hoffman
Generation 1
Re: The Toys R Us issues and what it means for collectors

It does not mater.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

If they can successfully restructure they might just survive.
I understand why they are reducing their stores in the US, they have a lot more competition.
Up here it's really just Walmart as most other stores have closed or reduced/eliminated there toy sections.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
It does not mater.
That's fair, especially if you don't use them for your collecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkamanraiden View Post
If they can successfully restructure they might just survive.
I understand why they are reducing their stores in the US, they have a lot more competition.
Up here it's really just Walmart as most other stores have closed or reduced/eliminated there toy sections.
Totally agree, and while this doesn't affect us now, if it DOESN'T turn around, could this spell trouble down the road? And if that happens then are we cool with really being left with basically a one stop shop option, that being Walmart?
Old 01-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

It would be very bad for hasbro if tru does fold. I wonder what other retailers would they try to diversify out too since so many have closed in Canada. Mastermind would be an interesting choice since they are more of a niche store but they continue to expand across Canada.
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
chaingunsofdoom
Wrecker

I will just drop this link here since research seemed lacking:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300573539.html

That's the first report where TRU Canada is separated from the US TRU numbers because of the court proceedings.

They're making money. Unless the Canada branch gets "Blockbustered" they will continue along fine after restructuring. (If you recall several years ago when Blockbuster Canada was closed, they were making profits but closed down to help offset the US operations.)

As for some other points, TRU offers free shipping at $49. It's better than nothing. If your item is under, then add a cart filler to get free shipping.

Unless Canada Post hands out sweetheart deals like we know they have with Amazon, someone has to pay that $10-15-20 to ship your box to your home.

And finally... the TRU website in 2017 was leaps and bounds better than WM's. Stock distribution issues in stores? Sure. Second year in a row where their Hasbro coupons have outdone anything WM has had.

Last edited by chaingunsofdoom; 01-28-2018 at 02:57 PM.
chaingunsofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonoid View Post
It would be very bad for hasbro if tru does fold. I wonder what other retailers would they try to diversify out too since so many have closed in Canada. Mastermind would be an interesting choice since they are more of a niche store but they continue to expand across Canada.
I wondered the exact same thing and keep thinking maybe Marshall's, Winner, Rossy, Hart and EB. As noted below, this isn't a concern for us now but doesn't hurt to speculate about options down the road just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaingunsofdoom View Post
I will just drop this link here since research seemed lacking:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300573539.html

That's the first report where TRU Canada is separated from the US TRU numbers because of the court proceedings.

They're making money. Unless the Canada branch gets "Blockbustered" they will continue along fine after restructuring. (If you recall several years ago when Blockbuster Canada was closed, they were making profits but closed down to help offset the US operations.)

As for some other points, TRU offers free shipping at $49. It's better than nothing. If your item is under, then add a cart filler to get free shipping.

Unless Canada Post hands out sweetheart deals like we know they have with Amazon, someone has to pay that $10-15-20 to ship your box to your home.

And finally... the TRU website in 2017 was leaps and bounds better than WM's. Stock distribution issues in stores? Sure. Second year in a row where their Hasbro coupons have outdone anything WM has had.
It wasn't so much research lacking as it was I could only do so much in 15 mins, but more importantly, I was hoping folks would share info, insights and thoughts exactly like yours to have a discussion to make everyone a little more informed. So, thank you very much for sharing this. It is one of the most well constructed and informative comments anyone could have added.
I do fear that if things don't eventually turn around elsewhere that Canada COULD get Blockbustered, but hopefully not and hopefully would not be a concern for years to come.
You are right about the shipping. Interesting though how when Target was open neither Wal-Mart nor TRU had a minimum purchase for that. Just saying, not everyone wants to add a cart filler, but you do make another excellent point though. It most definitely is better than nothing.
As for the online, I personally have found them and Wal-Mart fine. Never personally had any issues with either. But, this past year I heard innumerable complaints from TRU orders, especially with TR waves 4 and 5 and exclusives. I never read similar complaints of Wal-Mart, so just going on what I saw. Agreed about the Hasbro coupons though.
chaingunsofdoom, again, I applaud you for adding some tremendous value here and making me, and probably others, a little smarter. Very thought provoking. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
dho10
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonoid View Post
It may be a ways away but a distribution chain that people rarely talk or even think about is Chapters/Indigo. It has the size and economies of scale. It already carries Hasbro items namely their board games.
dho10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

Keep the name calling out of this thread. There's no need for it.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dho10 View Post
It may be a ways away but a distribution chain that people rarely talk or even think about is Chapters/Indigo. It has the size and economies of scale. It already carries Hasbro items namely their board games.
Oh yeah! A brilliant choice. I write and read books, I adore plastics robots. Match made in heaven.