Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 08-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
The GMfan Adventures @ TFcon 2012

The GMfan Adventures @ TFcon 2012

I'm sure both people that read this long wall of text every year were wondering where the hell this was and here's the upfront excuse...this TFcon KILLED ME...I've been mentally and physically exhausted for the last few days and I'm sure people will say "it's cuz you're getting older" but fuck you I'm saying it's cuz I DID TFCON RIGHT!

Now typically, I have an hour by hour report from the Friday to the Monday morning but this year was just so widespread I'm gonna just ramble incessantly and focus on things that really stuck out to me (also because some of those evenings were a haze...).

My TFcon started on the Saturday before the show when my bestest buddy Jeremy (Gogdog) came into Pearson International where he was promptly whisked away for the "Canadian Experience" I had promised him for the past few months. The "Canadian Experience" consisted of a 3 hour drive to Ryan's (soundwaveCA) lake Huron shore front cottage, North West of TO, for 2 nights as well as a pit stop at Ian's (Cheers Ian) in Kitchener for his engagement party which happened to just work out. Also at the cottage was the youngest Meema and his girlfriend, as well as Duncan (DAK) and his lady Chantel. After a laughter, booze, fresh water swimming, and cigar filled weekend we drove home on Monday afternoon and had dinner back in Mississauga at the Beaver and Bulldog where my brother Jay (350Zed Jay...he just joined the boards on Tuesday :P), Mike (Aernaroth), and Chris (Vangelus) had met us. Jeremy took off with Chris afterwards to stay at his place and I awoke to a new day.

Tuesday was my mad dash day to get started on the Third Party Preview Panel (you read that right...STARTED...4 days before the show *headdesk*) as my other TFcon operations duties, trophy making, event planning, and food/drink prep had otherwise kept me busy till then...that and waiting for all my juicy new images but...more on that later. Originally I had planned on taking Jeremy to the zoo but other plans popped up for him downtown and kinda worked out well for my panel as it was done in the nick of time. I did eventually meet up with Chris and Jeremy and took them out to dinner to an all you can eat sushi place near Erin Mills and Dundas (excellent place 168 Sushi, check it) where Mike met up with us again and we proceeded to decide to watch the Dark Knight Rises at Mississauga Coliseum after eats (my bro joined us for that too) and we all went our respective ways after.

Wednesday heralded the day I had planned to take Jeremy to Niagara Falls but due to the late night viewing of DKR he decided to crash because I had to get up early in order to pick up Derrick J Wyatt and Mindy (artoni) from the Buffalo Airport. After getting stuck at the boarder for a fuckin hour (yay sunburn on one side of the body) I finally pick them up and wouldn't you know it? The clear bridge that was seen when entering the US back to Canada was now an hour wait on the return trip (FAAAACK)...Anyways we check Derrick in to the hotel, have a nice lunch at the hotel's Quest bar, and after, left Derrick to crash while Mindy and I went to Square One to do some shopping for the weekend. We came back to the hotel to grab Derrick and went out to dinner and met my brother at Genghis Khan's Mongolian Grill near Don Mills and Lawrence (my favourite restaurant OMG). After dinner took Derrick back to the hotel and the rest of us crashed at home.

Thursday...CRUNCH TIME! Had to put the finishing touches on my panel as well as get everything together I needed to bring for the weekend. Packed up the detolf display cases I used for the third party product preview in the evening, picked up Jeremy at Kipling station and went to the hotel again so Jeremy could check in and I would drop off my material before we'd head to the airport to pick up the one...the only...SCOTT MCNEILLLLL. What an awesome guy. I'm glad we clicked so well together, just a total bro that understands the requirement to always have a wild party every day...he gets me....*sniffle*Picked him up with Jeremy and Mindy and after he checks in we started running into other people we knew and decided to stay at the Quest bar yet again and have some drinks and food. Scott still praises the beef melt there FYI...it was pretty f'n good...then again most of the food I've had there was...but more to come on that. After the evening of fun we go back our ways as tomorrow is finally TFCON FRIDAY!!!

(What a long fuckin prologue to get to the real meat of this meal)

TFcon 2012 Day One - Friday, July 27

Good morning star shine...it's TFcon morning! Time to load up a sports car to the gills and haul it over to the hotel. I get there around 1pm because Scott wanted to do a shopping run and so did I so we hit up LCBO near Square One and WM for more drinks to mix with and sports drinks to increase our electrolytes and decrease morning after headaches (pro tip #1). Get back around 2pm and the rest of my TFcon staff crew is rolling in slowly. I check out that the dealer room is being set up, registration is good to go, all our exclusives etc. boring logistics crap. After a few hours of running around doing that and saying hi, man hugging, and dry humping old friends that were showing up, 5 o'clock rolls around and it's time to start letting people pick up their weekend passes and new exclusive robits and pint glasses. Couple more hours pass by and now it's time for the opening ceremonies. Not gonna lie...Colin wasn't as dry as I thought he was gonna be :P He is capable of loosening up but the public does see it often enough. Course after sitting through the 20 minutes of him, Ian, Daniel (Rockman Bruce), and I had to storm the stage unknown to Colin....I think he was legitimately concerned how quickly we'd turn the ceremonies to a rated R/18A deal again. We just wanted to give our own personal congrats to Colin and leave the ceremonies on a high note to hype that fuckin crowd for the BEST TFCON EVER!!!

After we got off stage Chris and Ben took stage for their panel and I went to the bar with fellow staff Mike, Phil (Decepticon Army), Michelle (Oasis), and Jon (Ultra Maverick) for some food because I had realized I had yet to eat a damn thing till that point. Scotty eventually comes down and joins us and...as is tradition...the board member meet up with drinks at the bar and outdoor cigar party commenced til 2am. BTW those custom made TFcon drinks were thanks mostly to Shaan the restaurant manger but picked by Ian, Gord (Code of Honor) and myself. After the fun downstairs started to dwindle, Ian, Daniel, Josh Perez and I returned to our room with Scott and good friends from TFW to put the most important TFcon Staff Member to work, the Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville Mixer (Pro tip #2 ....get this machine). At around 4:30am-ish we decided to call it a night for within about 3 hours the majority of us had to get up for....

TFcon 2012 Day Two - Saturday, July 28

Holy hell was there a party here last night?!...I get up and I'm stepping on plastic cups, and more plastic cups and fuck they're everywhere...climb into the shower, pull on my purple staff shirt, plug into my hive mind and get my ass a coffee...well...my first one...eventually Jamie (Sanethoughinsane) gets me my next one while I setup the third party preview display, fix the 3D art trophies (some dropping led to paint scratches...), and made a quick run through the dealer room before doors open (you can hate me for that but I'm lucky if I get a chance sometimes to get in there once doors open as I'm usually off working on something during show hours). At around 10am I feel my buzz from last night wearing off so I require a "refueling" (Pro tip #3 it will only hurt once you stop drinking...so keep truckin!) . Talked to the Fansproject guys and grabbed some more images for my panel (ya...apparently it still wasn't done...hours before it was to be presented...). More running around, making sure things are in order, people are where they need to be, doing what they need to do and if not how to fix it ASAP.

Round noon it was the Charity Auction where I was hoping to win some cool Transformers swag but people were just being so gracious (BTW we damn near doubled our goal for make a wish...give yourselves a pat on the back folks who won, and thanks from us again). Next thing I know I had to give Ian the signal to wrap up for Scotty's panel...Scotty...where the hell is Scotty!? Quickly find him and bring him in for his panel. I watch it for a bit before I run off and get more things prepped for my panel, that Neil and Wally are up and good to go for their panel at 2pm, and keeping on top of all things required for the show to function. Met up with Scott after his panel, stepped out for a quick breather and brought him in for his autograph session. Stuck around for the first half hour and realized I needed to get up and finish the rest of my panel and get some food in me (cuz oh ya...my breakfast was 2 coffees) before I get in front of a large crowd and talk for an hour. I left Scott in the good hands of some volunteers and my brother, who at this point has become Scott's "Fun Coordinator" :P

3pm rolls up and its Third Party Panel time!!! I was super stoked to show off all the new goodies...holy hell when I had those Ferocicons pics sent to me...I was just waiting to see the crowd's reaction...I knew it was gonna be HUGE. Right before the panel I got the Fansproject images and plugged them into the presentation...GAH! Soooo much awesome in the pipeline. Now I don't consider myself much of a public speaker...but here I was now, on a stage in front of a PACKED panel room...people were STANDING at the back. I was not expecting it to be that full so when I had my reveals ready...there was a liiiiittle smirk on face right before I hit that clicker. The crowds went WILD!...it was NUTS! I could not believe the excitement in that room and still can't! It was great. I'm glad that madness I had to go through to pull it off was well worth it (which reminds me...I still need to read the online responses to that...). Again...a HUGE thanks to all the Third Party Companies that contributed and Robot Kingdom for the hook ups.

Next was the costume contest to which our very own Chris Ho would host with Ian. I gathered their prizes and certificates while the final rounds of judging for the 3D and 2D art contests was in session in a secret part of the hotel (the registration tables). At 4:45pm we made our announcements and the 3D winners walked away happy with the trophies I had just fixed and fastened with their plates that morning and 2D some original art, a Dan Gilvezan book, and a poster. After that I check in with Jay and Scotty to see how the signing is going and as expected, Scott still had a good line up to get through and decided to make sure he spoke with all his fans before leaving for the script reading audition. Again...what a bro.

Now I knew the stories of the notorious Wally Burr...but I figured he'd comply with our hour block for auditions...damn I'm stupid...at 5:30 they still were on the first audition and there were still FIVE MORE TO GO!!! GAH. Panic mode initiated...get things on the ball and started the script read SLIGHTLY later previously aimed for. During the script read, I quickly go back to the room with Ben for a cold one and change cuz my staff shirt was just grossly clinging to me (and yes...my evening wear was a 1986 David Bowie shirt from the movie labyrinth, complete with jailbait Jennifer Connelly), chatted for a bit and headed back down and rallied all the Cybertron.ca and TFW2005 people we could for our annual board photo shot (LINK:http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...e=1&permPage=1).

After the photo shoot, the TFcon staff and guests secluded themselves for some pizza and pop (not soda). A well required refueling was needed before we began the ever exciting FACTION FEUD!!! Hosted by Chris Ho for the second year, I was able to fulfill that nutcase's request, and don him with his cape he so desired. I sat in for most of the feud popping in and out to top up my drink and once that had finished the majority of people came over to the Quest bar for one hell of a crazy party night, complete with more booze, more nachos, and more cigars. Top drawer. Eventually the bar made last call. Another pitcher to myself later, a closed bar even later, a grope on Cat (Black Cat) good night, and we left to once again start up the Margaritaville Mixer in our room where I think I finally went past that point of remembering what happened the rest of that night but apparently trying to turn "on" an "off" Ian results in a sternum punch...passed out around 5am and eventually I wake up to....

TFcon 2012 Day Three - Sunday, July 29

mmmmMMMmmmmrrrrrrrrmmmmm....there's more cups round here then yesterday morning....WTF happened last night??...what did she look like?!....*look at clock*...oh piss...9:30am?! Dealer room opens at 10...crud...back in shower, red shirt day...where the F is my headset and coffee?!?! *headdesk* Check in on custom class...things were goin good...head over to the convention centre, make sure everything is on track, and make another run around our new Sunday dealer room...starting to feel the drain...get some electrolytes in me and sit down near the R2 units with Cat and crash for a bit. Eventually I run into Derrick and realize I've hardly seen him since the show started. He mentions how he has heard good things about the nachos at the bar...bar you say?...welllll...I was feeling cognitive again...LETS GET SOME BEER AND NACHOS!

So round 12 Derrick and I make our way to the Quest bar and have some nachos...I keep forgetting there's more there than 2 people can handle...f they are good. Get a text from Scotty and let him know where to find us. We all chat a little and share some chow before he goes onto his panel at 1 which Cat and I coordinated the intro of Scott along with Neil and Wally from the back walls of the panel room. After they came out I stayed at the side and listened in...I dunno why but I really like that panel, as you hear some awesome stories about how these people got to where they are and I always think that's more interesting than them repeating lines they've already said before. After that the guests returned to the autograph room while Ian and Chris took the stage again for the Sunday costume contest.

I finally took this opportunity to take a good walk in the dealer room and get some merch...most of what I had up to that point was impulse glance buys and pre-made deals so I wanted to actually BROWSE a little...get that ol'TFcon feel before I became the grizzled beast before you. Around this time (2ish) I was surprised to find out my father decided to pop in and see what the show was like...over the years he's met a bunch of the staff but never has he seen what we do so it was nice to show him around a little and he was legitimately surprised at the size of the show and what we pull off...can't blame him...still surprises me some years :P I let him wander and take some pics (he's a photo nut and collector...his knowledge of that stuff reminds me where I get my capacity for TF knowledge...) while I check out how things are around the show.

I swing over to the panel room where Derrick's panel is in the middle of being done...a little upset over missing part of this as the idea for it came from me and I wanted to sit in on it but I'm kinda used to missing panels and having to watch them on youtube after the show :P watched the ending video he played and got ready for the organizers panel...I was on Colin's left (his right to the audience) with Phil on my other side and Ian on Colin's right. Once again people showed up and ruined it being the "panel that never was" where we got some constructive feedback (which we're already discussing...hasn't even been a week since the show ended....) and interesting questions we were glad to answer. After we had no more questions we let Jeremy, Chris, and Aaron take the stage for the live WTF@TFW recording while the TFcon staff met up in front of the hotel for our traditional staff photo.

TFcon 2012...technically done for most...I still had to tear down the third party displays, move all my crap behind registration I had been collecting over the weekend to my room, and make sure everything was in order. Once I was done my stuff I had some time to play with Colin's kids for a bit since I was too busy to most of the weekend...they find me to be a source of entertainment...kids are simple....throw some pillows at them, they laugh, they like ya...parenting can't be that hard....right?! O_o.... after the crap job of making sure what needs to go where is where it needs to be was over we could finally sit down to our awesome staff dinner...4 Tom Collins and a delicious medium rare steak later I was ready to change out of my janky t-shirt and into my evening wear when suddenly EVERYONE wants to go in the pool...

Well what do you know...the one year people wanna use the pool is the one year while packing my bag, looked at my bathing suit and said..."Fuck it. Never use it anyways..."...a Walmart run and $10 later fixed that. God damn is that water slide AWESOME. That marked the first time I was ever able to use the pool at a convention we ran....it was a magical moment for me. I think that's when I knew this TFcon had been a success...we got to relax and enjoy the finer things more! After the slide closed...like 20 of us just horsed around the pool...3 cannon balls in a row later...a wave pool. (PS: *Flex* HEEEHAAAYYY ....*flex*HEEEERRKKIITTT) Once sobriety started to set in again, the executive decision was made to return to the bar...

At this point, I'm feeling like I'm running on empty....but the party had to go on!!! So I switched it up from my typical Moosehead/rum n' coke combo to doin strictly the TFcon cocktails till last call where I quickly downed another pitcher with Ben and Scotty, while down at the other end of the bar Josh and Derrick were drawing up a storm all night. Finally it was time for the final TFcon Margaritaville Mixer bash...I get back and the room is packed...I'm like Stephen Hawking at this point, mentally there but not physically...I take a quick piss, grab a pillow, throw it on the corner of the balcony and let everyone know if they want me that's where they can find me. Ben comes out and I just look at him and ask if I look like utter defeat or sheer victory because I wasn't sure then, and I'm still not 100%. You be the judge after reading thus far.

Scotty shows up a little later, at this point Ian is "off" again...so I have to muster up the strength to keep the party going and make another 4 or 5 rounds of drinks....eventually people start to peter out again around 5am...I climb into bed, Ian rolls over, we fist bump without words knowing we had done well, flick off the light, and call it a night....to which Josh IMMEDIATELY begins snoring...amazing.

TFcon 2012 Epilogue

It was a rough morning...I don't get hangovers but I think the show physically and mentally drained me to a point it had never done before...I'm gonna make this quick since it's probably the most boring part of the tale. We eventually pack our things, say by to the friends we could, I drop my shit off at home with Jeremy and we come back to take Derrick and Mindy back to Buffalo...Jeremy and I have our long awaited Frisky Dingo marathon (those who don't know what that is...download it and enjoy. You're welcome for bringing it into your lives) and while I take him back to Chris's so he can pack before I take him to the airport Tuesday morning, I find a screw in my brand new expensive low profile tires...wonderful. Not even a month old. Even sadder was picking up Jeremy Tuesday, taking him to the airport and saying good bye. The rest of Tuesday is spend sleeping.

If I could sum up the post-TFcon awakening in one quote: "Part of me thinks..." (ya...that was it in its entirety. Brilliant)

I'm gonna thank everyone who made this an awesome weekend...the fans, who without, there would be no show. To my friends from Cybertron.ca and TFW, you all know who you are, I'm so fuckin exhausted if you want to see your name here stop being so selfish!! Joking aside a special thanks to those though that made this their first and (from what I've heard from all of you) hopefully not your last since we need to drink and smoke some more. To our dealers that fill that huge space, to Ryan for his cars, to our guest auctioneers, and to our photographers for capturing the event. A shout out to the third party companies that made us exclusives (iGear, Headrobots, and PerfectEffect) and the others that showed some wicked new products at the show, we wanna do it again next year, we'll be in touch Another thanks to Hasbro Canada for showing up and being totally awesome. An enormous amount of love to our guests, all of them be they actor, artist, or director...I MISS SCOTT SO MUCH. Bros forever buddy! *man hug* BIG THANKS to the Delta Meadowvale and specifically Shaan and the Quest bar for going above and beyond this year for us. The fans loved everything you did...so does my tab. A HUGE HUGE HUGE thanks to our volunteers, who without would have made our jobs a LOT harder than ever. We really did appreciate it and I want you to know that! Finally I thank the rest of the TFcon staff, for without the rest of you we could not have put on one of the best Transformers conventions I have ever been to. It was a blast.

Ladies and Gentlemen your TFcon 2012 Staff

Much love to these people.
MWUAH! (it was a wet one)

<3 Chris
-TFcon Operations Manager

Obligatory haul image

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.

Last edited by GMfan; 08-03-2012 at 08:41 AM.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises
Re: The GMfan Adventures @ TFcon 2012

You guys made this Con so great that it made up whatever I felt for missing it last year.A lot of love,dedication,and loss of many fluids came to represent the greatness of the 10th Anniversary.This is the fourth TFCon I've been in and I've grown to have many adventurers with you guys,to the extent that I see you as friends and family.

Of all the Cons I ever go to since I started,this one always stand out the most,be it the acessible,spaceous,diverse Dealer Room,the memorable (If you do remember) Quest Bar with the greatest menu by far (Love those damn Waspinators!),and interacting with the Guests outside of Panels (Bless Scott and Wally for coping with me).

But most importantly it's the people,the Fans,us.We knew each other since the beginning and have went beyond since then,becoming friends from all over the area and being part of one Convention we never regret going to.We've become a welcoming,friendly Fandom (Especially to our new American friends,including you Jeremy ) that makes us miss being there the moment we start packing up and go back to our daily lives.We are what this Fandom should be,to be awesome to each other and party on.

I love you all and thank you all for making the 10th Anniversary.To TFCon!

See you all next year muchachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!

Last edited by TMIIWonkoNemises; 08-03-2012 at 02:27 AM.
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
Beechy
The Veteran.

You can get a better picture angle if you get on your knees.
Beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
Cliffjumper69
primebein's rival
Cliffjumper69's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Cliffjumper69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechy View Post
You can get a better picture angle if you get on your knees.
OH NO HE DIDN'T!!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I appreciate all the hard work the staff does!

TFCon menu (both drinks and food) was a huge success and much appreciated.

Panels were great, my first customizing class was superb.

On of my TFCon memories is Friday night and four Americans (Jeremy, Peaugh, Artoni, and one other) huddled around one of the new Canadian $50 bills, looking amazed while discussing the cooler features of it.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
vectorsigma2
Machine War

and thats why we love Chris and all the people who put this weekend together! Love you guys in a manly kinda way?
vectorsigma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Hobbyist Prime
King of the Scratchbuild
Hobbyist Prime's Ebay Auctions

As one of the ones who made this TFCon a first I would like to officially Thank all of you for a truly great experience. Although I didn't have a room this year and missed what sounds like some really cool stuff, what I didn't miss will stay with me forever and I am going to make damn sure I make it to every one after this even if it means getting a second job to get all those 3rd party figs (FEROCICONS OMFG!!!!!!).

As a side note, finally being able to meet so many of you in person and just hang out was worth the price of admission!

Last edited by Hobbyist Prime; 08-03-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Hobbyist Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
350Zed Jay
Mini-Con

Haha pretty good wrap up. All in all i was truly happy to be more involved in this years TFCon. Sooo many stories to tell and just had a blast. Gunna make a post bout the experience i had in some more depth but evidently being an electrician and holding onto a social life leaves little "me" time.
350Zed Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

Chris, this stuff is in your DNA. One helix is the convention organizing and the other helix is partying like a rock star.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
StarwarsTF
seek&destroy

Good times GM!
StarwarsTF is offline   Reply With Quote