Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2020, 09:07 PM   #11
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker
Re: Gamestop/EB puts profits over people

Interestingly enough EB makes most of it's profit from sales of used games. I wonder if their push to stay open was to get rid of all those copies of DOOM that will only be worth $40 by the time they can reopen. Less about making profits and more about mitigating losses. I bet the next big release won't have too many non-preordered copies lying around in stores.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:01 PM   #12
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernamePrime View Post
What I said is that Gamestop/EB puts profits over people. You're branching off into a whole new point by putting words into my mouth. If you want to talk about customers then create a new customer thread and talk away.
That would be counterproductive. Why make a new thread to discuss the many facets behind what happened? It was not just the single selfish act of EB/Gamestop keeping their stores open which led to the situation, the customers and their gross ignorance of proper social distancing is also a key factor in the issue.

A message board is built on frank and open discussion, if we all created the exact same thread to discuss the exact same thing we'd have a big headache inducing mess.

Moderators merge similar sounding threads for a reason. Once you start a discussion, short of having it locked by a moderator you can't really dictate what others will bring to the table to actively debate or otherwise comment on the situation brought forward by the original creator of the thread.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #13
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith27 View Post
So you're saying you don't blame the people that lined up to pick up their games at all? The company should have closed it's doors to save people from their own stupid selves?

Didn't you say you went out and picked up a copy? Is this self-loathing or?

I picked up two copies of AC, one for the wife. They were preordered months before anyone was worried about COVID. Wasn't going to shell out another $160 to get two copies elsewise. Had to go to the mall for groceries, anyway. Was there as the store was opening. The line was about 5 people. I was more at risk on the bus home.

I was required to sanitize my hands upon entering the store and was not permitted to peruse their new Earthrise stock. They had lines of tape on the floor to keep people from standing too close. Clearly, on the ground level, people are trying to make things safe.

While I acknowledge Gamestop/EB could have and maybe should have already been closed down, they're sitting on millions of these preorders. Knowing the company's financial hardships, you can't expect they'll jump at the chance to lose those sales. Hell, they're close enough to the edge of bankruptcy this could've been a finishing blow.

Now I'm not saying Gamestop has a moral leg to stand on here, nor am I trying to downplay the severity of the current pandemic, but they're a business. Capitalism rules their decisions.

I also find this kind of scapegoating is particularly unproductive. Sure, they should have been closed for public safety, but if beer and weed stores are staying open, I don't think it's fair to stamp on video game stores. People need something to do with all this quarantine time, and video games are far less destructive to your body than other "essential" retailers. People need to be allowed to have hobbies, things to do during this time. For one person that's a 6-pack every night, for another, it's a new game a week.

Attacking EB for wanting to remain open for one of it's biggest sales days of the year seems petty, especially when MOST of the stores in the mall the day I went were still open. Shoes, knives, nail salons... and unlike EB, they weren't doing anything extra to promote cleanliness and distancing.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:37 PM   #14
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
Didn't you say you went out and picked up a copy? Is this self-loathing or?
Nope. I went later in the day when there was no line. I only self-love. You can read into that what you will.