Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy
Buying from US members (TFW)

Is it safe to buy from our border neighbors? Has anybody bought figures or anything from US members, is it worth it with the exchange rate, the Canadian dollar taking a hit and with customs? I have been thinking buying figures from US residents. I have also noticed in TFW sales thread that a lot of members prefer to sell to US residents, does this has anything to do with shipping? but usually isn't the buyer who covers shipping? why are they so afraid?
Old 12-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
timcrook
Cybertron
Re: Buying from US members (TFW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
Is it safe to buy from our border neighbors? Has anybody bought figures or anything from US members, is it worth it with the exchange rate, the Canadian dollar taking a hit and with customs? I have been thinking buying figures from US residents. I have also noticed in TFW sales thread that a lot of members prefer to sell to US residents, does this has anything to do with shipping? but usually isn't the buyer who covers shipping? why are they so afraid?
There is only a chance of getting charged custom fees from businesses only, not private fourum/eBay sales (unless the seller uses ebay's G.S.P.).
Old 12-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
Bountyan
Cybertron

I do it all the time. I've never gotten a custom fee either. Most people mark the package down and make it a gift so it doesn't incur customs.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

But shipping would be more higher since it's coming from the US vs in country (Canada) shipping no?
Old 12-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #5
NINirvana
Optimal.

I've bought frm TFW and had no problems. Paying in USD sucks but that's not their fault or problem.
NINirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
Armagear
Scamper

Especially with the area I'm in, there are times shipping ended up cheaper somehow. So it depends I would say. I get surprised all the time heh. So far I also have not been hit with any extra charges. *fingers crossed*

When in doubt, Kick It
Armagear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
Oreobuilder
Cybertron

Some things to keep in mind:

- Shipping will be higher. However, prices in the BST section are sometimes cheaper that eBay, BBTS or other places, so there will be some deals.
- As others have mentioned, if you buy from individuals, there are no customs fees.
- Check the members feedback before making a deal with them.
- There are several reasons US sellers prefer to ship only to the US- extra forms to fill out, having to actually go the post office to ship rather than having them pick up the parcel at their home, etc. That being said, sometimes, if you ask, a US only seller accepts to ship to Canada. If they say no, move on to the next one.

Hope this helps.

OB
Oreobuilder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #8
Pascal
Banned

Shipping is not necessarily higher if you choose USPS First Class. Depending on location, shipping within Canada is sometimes more expensive than to/from the US.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #9
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus
Thumbs up Re: Buying from US members (TFW)

Quote:
- Ironwave - "is it safe to buy from our border neighbours?"... that depends on who you are buying for. Always, always check their feedback, just as you would on the cybertron.ca. Ideally they should have more than 1 positive feedback post.

-Is it worth it?
OB had some great insight here
The prices on tfw, with the amount of sellers, and the diversity of what they are selling, can be great.

- yup, buyers usually cover shipping

- Why they don't ship to canada... again ob had some great points. More paperwork being the main thing. But in my opinion they just think shipping to canada is waaay more work, which it isn't.

-That being said, I've had great experience dealing with our friends to the south... good luck!
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #10
Larkhainan
Robot in Disguise

You can be charged customs on items shipped from the US. They calculate based on the stated value on the box, plus $10 fee. "Gift" covers like $30. You basically always run this risk. It's not that high, but it does happen.

I used to ship stuff from an american friend of mine who I met through the community every six to eight months, but I haven't lately since he just brought my box o' stuff to tfcon this year and I didn't ask for anything until black friday.
Quote:
But shipping would be more higher since it's coming from the US vs in country (Canada) shipping no?
It was usually cheaper to ship from the US than to ship from Toronto for me, but that might have changed with the exchange rate.

Dollar dropping 18 points oh what a feelin'~~
Larkhainan is offline   Reply With Quote