Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews > Transformers Video Reviews

Old 09-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #31
B13
I.Prefer.Decepticons
Re: Generations Leader Jetfire - Baltmatrix

Hi everyone,

I understand what you’re saying imfallenalgel! You’re review represents all the reasons why I won’t purchase this release. I believe it’s too expensive for its quality, especially when compared to other offers. I don’t believe that you’re confusing plastic quality and construction techniques as Pascal said. Keep in mind that people have different social skills and will attack your judgment (or just laugh at you) if they disagree with you, even if no one holds “the truth”. You’re new here and already releasing good and detailed reviews and comparisons; keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
Well I got mine last night.

First impression: cheap

The cheapest plastic I have ever seen for a transformers. I have dollar store knock-offs that have better plastic. No metal either.

It feels that if you do one thing wrong, you could and probably will end up with snapped parts.

Then, while it has some details in some ways, it lacks actual valid details. The hands do not move at all, the feet have no articulation.

Compared to the G1 (Macross) version, about the same size (I'll have to take it out and compare them next to each other), but the G1 is so very solid, built with metal parts, great plastic, the transformation doesn't have robots parts showing.

This one's only grace is the ratchet articulation for the hips/knees and shoulders/elbows. But again, due to the cheap plastic, I can see tic-tic-tic-SNAP happening easily.

The red chrome is a gimmick and doesn't really look that great.

The transformation is scary as there's not a step where you aren't going to fear that something will snap, and unless you only look at the robot or the top of plane mode, the undercarriage in plane mode is horrible.

I have both the G1 and the Voyager 2006 version and when the Voyager came out, the only thing I didn't like was the arms hanging on the side (plane mode undercarriage), but at least it does have a guardian/gerwalk mode.

The difference in quality between the three, is:

G1 was a solid toy. Strong thick plastic and metal. The accessories are a bit fragile and tricky at times but looks great. Once geared up, he looks a lot stronger, armored and extra weapons.

2006 Voyager is just as solid, a great update in just about every way except the undercarriage of the transformation of plane. The accessories are very solid, and extremely nice. He already looks very armored without the extra parts, with them he gives the impression of being unstoppable.

This one feels like a cheap model kit that's already put together.

The lack of "gadgets".. the non-retractable landing gear (wheels) in the back looks like sore thumbs sticking out, especially in robot mode (with wheels sticking on the side of the legs), somewhat concealed if you put on the leg cannons/armor. The front landing gear needs to be at an angle for the wheel to touch the ground, and looks like it could snap at any moment.

The articulations do work but are for the most part a very poor/cheap design. Every part of the arms and legs are empty, barely using a honeycomb approach.

The hands are not able to rotate, for a figure of this size is sad (the hands are part of the arm single piece. Sure, G1's hands didn't rotate, but the design of sliding inwards to hide them was the reason.

Even Voyager 2006's back boosters had the sliding pop-out cannons that are amazing.

Yes, in robot mode, as a display, he looks great (if you ignore all the emptiness of the parts and other faults), no denying that, and in plane, the top looks fine too. (but best to not even look at the undercarriage)

This version is just cheap, cheap plastic, cheap in design, cheap in details, etc.

My take is: this feels like it was designed to be a standard size figure (4-5 inch) and they decided to stretch it into a large size (and fells like they didn't want to use enough plastic/material to do it right).

Heck, I'd have to say that my G2 Cyberjet collection (that are barely 3-4 inch tall) are better designed (by a LOT).

I'm seriously debating about repacking him and getting my money back, which, after waiting so long for it, and my love for the jets/planes, means a lot and breaks my heart.
B13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #32
Pascal
Banned

You know, I could write some highly detailed but ultimately inaccurate 10-page review if I wanted too. Look on TFW. 40+ pages about this toy, not a single complaint about plastic quality, just some regarding the hollowed out limbs. That speaks for itself.

Btw, chrome removal was a complete success, looks way better now that all the red weapons match the red paint apps on the figure.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #33
Pascal
Banned

Red is actually a bit darker in person.

Maybe I'll add some black paint apps to replicate what can be seen on the box, I'll see.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #34
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

So it's actually red plastic under the red chrome?

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #35
Pascal
Banned

Yes... Actually, it's something like red coloring over regular chrome over some sticky residue over red plastic!
Old 09-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #36
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original

How much fun was it to get that all off?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #37
Pascal
Banned

Pretty easy: I let the parts soak all day in a small plastic container filled with degreaser and the chrome completely came off by itself. Rinse, dry and you're ready to go.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #38
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original

Awesome thanks!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #39
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Pretty easy: I let the parts soak all day in a small plastic container filled with degreaser and the chrome completely came off by itself. Rinse, dry and you're ready to go.
Is it the super clean brand on #327 of the TFW2005 post? I saw you want to paint it black there too.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #40
Pascal
Banned

No, I used Power Green!