Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
Soundwaves
Robot Master
Boardie Question - At what point are you a scalper?

The Pit of Judgement set that recently came out got me thinking about this.

Local Boardie has it up on CL for $230.00

I'm sure it cost a pretty penny to get it delivered, etc but this still seems excessive.

It is a limited figure, high demand.

But to me, still scalping.

Maybe because in this instance I know this guy has done similar with other items and it's not a one off.

Also, the fact that he's hiding behind CL's anonymity and does not have it posted here on his for sale thread.

How exactly do we define a scalper vs. someone who is just trying to get full value out of a hobby that they spend lots on?

Last edited by Soundwaves; 10-15-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: schpellikng
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions
Re: Boardie Question - At what point are you a scalper?

Honestly who cares? You like you buy, you don't like the price you move on. Things are only worth what you want to spend. Not you specifically just people in general
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.

scalper
noun [ C ]
US informal uk
/ˈskæl.pər/ us
/ˈskæl.pɚ/ (UK tout)

someone who buys things, such as theatre tickets, at the usual prices and then sells them, when they are difficult to get, at much higher prices

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...nglish/scalper

frequency of a definition doesn't alter the definition. Murder a bit or a lot, still a murderer.
UsernamePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
Soundwaves
Robot Master

There is a lot of hate and vitriol directed at "Scalpers".

Is this just something we all do given the opportunity but have a hard time justifying when it's on the other foot?

The dictionary definition is not really what Im trying to discuss, more the semantics in regards to this hobby or collecting in general.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

It's shite, inn't?

Especially cos if you're aware enough to know what to scalp, you're somewhat invested in the hobby.

It's not quite as fair as "if you don't like the price, don't get it." Often we're talking about shit that goes quickly, is hard to find or limited release, and piles of dickheads buy it up just to charge double the price on people who genuinely want to enjoy it.

There's a philosophical difference in that vs, say, goofballs taking the newest retail stuff and trying to get a premium for it. You "don't have to buy it" from them because the newest Siege/ER is going to be easier to find. You just might be in a rush.

I'll argue further than that there is a philosophical/ethical difference on that vs the high prices we see for items like Titan Metroplex. In that case, Metroplex was easily accessible for a lengthy period of time. We are seeing demand AFTER the fact. When they aren't available anymore. Do I think often Metroplex is overpriced? Of course I do. But now, we're talking about a toy that *was* easily accessible that people still want. Lots of folks who have him aren't selling. And probably, some of these 400-500 dollar sellers aren't getting that.

If you want UW Computron, he hasn't been available for years now at retail. So you're buying from a person.

The Pit was available for approximately 15 fuckin' minutes. To lose out on that, and then see people who got it solely to flip for their own profit?

That's shitty ethics and morals. They suck, and they're a pox on fandom. Exclusive items that people want, you snap up some of the tiny amount, then turn around just to sell them? Screw you.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
905soundwave
Robot in Disguise

iPhones. Xbox. PS5. Transformers are probably not the big money makers for a quick payday. In the past the iPhone and consoles were a quick several hundred profit so long as you flipped it within reasonable time. It also goes both ways. There’s been so many Star Wars black series that were a dud. I’m looking at you Rose and Cassian. Pretty sure scalpers or “dealers” loaded up on retro reissue G1 Hot Rod and trailerless Prime and you know how those went. It’s still a gamble. I remember reading about people who could not dump their PS4 fast enough. Hockey cards. Comics. Beanie Babies. The good news is Transformers (and especially GIJoe) never completely collapsed like those.
905soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:06 PM   #7
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

I don't know anything about the specifics here but in general my beef with scalpers is not that they sell for high prices, it's the artificial restricting of supply. Eg I can't buy the figure because they bought them all, leaving me to either skip the figure or pay their markup.

In that light, someone who legit buys a figure but later changes their mind can sell for whatever they want.

In the same principle, someone who buys a bunch of a common figure (leaving plenty of supply for the rest of us) and hangs onto them to make some dough by providing them for sale much later at a markup - no problem. They didn't restrict supply.

However; someone who buys up a bunch of hard-to-get figures leaving none for others, just to insert themselves into the transaction for a big markup... yeah that's a jerk.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
Soundwaves
Robot Master

We have some well spoken (written) members on this board, this much is obvious.

Totally agree on the "take it or leave it" mentality.

I don't think people flipping TF's are out there fliffping everyhting they can. More just within the hobby.

Sometimes I feel like Cybertron.ca is really just a roadmap for scalpers.

I still post sightings though.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
ngnaw
Armada

Guy guy guy it's simple... The problem one should look at is in the mirror. Scalpers are technically not by definition a scalper if they don't sell the product. So the issue lies with the one who is buying them at inflated prices thus making them a scalper price. If I want something so bad but can't get it at a good price then it's my problem to have discipline and not spend my money that way. It's not the scalpers problem... They are not a scalper if no one buys the stuff from them and they're stuck with the product. And if you weren't able to get the product, then that's your problem for being too slow, unlucky or wtv the reason may be...

and i'll give you a perfect example. Back in the Shopkins day, my niece was into it and I helped her get her whole collection. At the same time, the USA were sold out of Season 1 packs. I made a killing on ebay but at auction not buy it now... The item cost me 23 bucks CAD I sold them on average for $100 CAD after exchange... Was I a scalper then??? Your opinion can be posted but I know I wasn't scalping. The buyers were dictating the price...

Last edited by ngnaw; 10-15-2020 at 06:50 PM.
ngnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #10
Icetron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Honestly who cares? You like you buy, you don't like the price you move on. Things are only worth what you want to spend. Not you specifically just people in general
Agreed, I just complain about people scalping but if someone wants to pay it's a free market. That's basic economics, if there is limited supply, someone will buy it if they want it regardless of the price.