Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 04-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Gaetznes
Cassetticon
Need A little Help/Advice Thermo-Plastics

Ok Really Long Story Short. Been Making Molds and Cast of G1 Parts for a while. Goal to Make Characters that other wise didn't get a toy back in the day, or just want to battle danmage a figure up with out destroying the original. Problem: Every Epoxy I've tried (I don't have a vacuum chamber to degas the plastic), I keep getting air bubbles? For the sake of battle danmage its ok. But i've been reading up on thermo-plastics. Does anyone here have any experince/advice/warnings about going down this road to achive making a casting?

The focus is that most Thermo Plastics are clear, so I can dye them any colours I like.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
sarmick01
Canadian Slag
Re: Need A little Help/Advice Thermo-Plastics

Are you injecting the mold, or just putting the stuff in and squishing it together?
sarmick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
joshimus
Metroplex

I would think just make the figure and use a dremel to make battle damage would suffice as well as not damage the original mold. That's what I would do IF I did my own casts.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Darth Wave
Alternator

hmmm... one person you could contact is Darkov, over at TFW2005. He does a lot of casting and may be able to answer some of your questions.
Darth Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Hobbyist Prime
King of the Scratchbuild
Hobbyist Prime's Ebay Auctions

I personally have had really good results in the past using thermoplastics but I would still recommend degassing the cast! vacuum chambers are easy to make all you need is some thick Plexiglas (1/4 inch will work) that you can get cheap from someplace that sells scrap pieces, some clear caulking, two latches, two clasps (like on a toolbox) and a shopvac.
Hobbyist Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

I have talked to Darkov, and he has been a great help when I started trying the mold making last year. I figure from what everyone is saying here. Keep doing what i'm doing but use a Vacuum Chamber. I've been using epoxys that " are self degassing" cough cough lies....

But what i'm curious about is the methods of using Thermoplastics. With regards to injecting it, i'm going to say no. I'm currently using a platinum based silcone. So its to flexable to take the presure generated by injection. I'd have to make new molds with a tin based silcone, which isn't an issue, if I were to do that. Or as it's been put I could "squishing it together". I'm seeing a potential of many problems going this way. But hey I find all this fun
Old 04-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
chans formers
raff ow roud

a good trick is to place your filled mold on top of a sub woofer,throw in a "bass" cd and watch the bubbles rise up.run dmc,public enemy,easy-e,they work real good.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

These are techniques for minimizing air in your casts which include planning the orientation and channels to minimize opportunity for trapped air, and pouring a thin stream from a height (with you mold on the ground ideally and your pour about three feet up). The aim of the latter is to have a stream thinner than the diameter of any bubbles, which forces them to pop before they enter the mold. Of course always remember to pour into the lowest part of the mold.

I've also found at least one place that sells a combination pressure pot/vacuum chamber that you can use for both degassing AND casting under pressure.

Disclaimer: I don't cast yet, but I've done lots of research on the subject in anticipation of future casting opportunities.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Not to jack the thread, but its related, aside from Darkov does anyone else commision? I know Bellyboy does but from pics his stuff doesnt seem as good as Darkovs. Darkov has slowed down his output recently due to work. Would love to see more Headmaster stuff cast and sold cheaper then orig.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
I've also found at least one place that sells a combination pressure pot/vacuum chamber that you can use for both degassing AND casting under pressure.
By any chance is this place Tapplastics.com?
or is it someplace in Canada?