Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Cybertron.ca Marketplace > Transformers On Ebay

Old 07-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus
Ebay Tips

Would any of you Ebay Veterans have any tips.. It looks like my summer cleaning is going to become a refocusing of my collection. And some items seem to be selling for crazy sums on Ebay. And who doesn't want to make as much as possible when selling stuff.

I've never sold anything on Ebay before. But, I have heard some of the horror stories. Hopefully more exceptions than the rule. About listing things and how to go about it to protect yourself.

The two main things I'm looking at parting with is the ROTF MISB Bruticus Maximus. I have a spare one, and it just sold recently for around a whopping $329. Not too mention loose Leader Class ROTF Megatron.

So, I'm interested in listing them as well as a collection of Netrunner CCG cards which seem to be selling much higher than I would have thought. Dealing with my Magic The Gathering Collection is going to take a lot more time.. And I will have more stuff to add to my sales thread here.

So, I'm looking for advice on traps and pitfalls to avoid.

Thanks

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Commandoclone87
Seeker
Re: Ebay Tips

Gonna have to do the same here. Only moved four figs since putting up my sales list and still got several dozen that need to be moved.

Don't get me started on Magic cards, got about 4000 - 5000 of them to go through so I can find the few hundred I want to keep and sell the rest.

Only advice I can come up with is to document everything (condition of figure, photos, shipping receipts, tracking numbers, etc...) just in the event that someone is trying to scam you.

I've even gotten into the habit of tracking packages I send out to see what date and time the package was picked up/dropped off so I know if the buyer actually got it.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
pulsedragon20
I win

*Research, research, research!
Look around ebay.ca and ebay.com for what other people are selling their items for. Don't just focus on the auction that ended the highest, look at several of them (I usually watch at least 10 items of the item I want to sell to get an average)

*Don't over price your items to begin with.
Sure ROTF Bruticus sold for $329 recently but that doesn't mean you should start the bid at $300 it would probably scare a lot of people away at first.

*Look at the bid history of already ended listings to see how people bid

**You don't have to do "auction style" listing, you can do "Buy it now" instead to see what offers you get (in this case you can list the item as high as you want, within reason, and "negotiate") or you can do BOTH (with or without a reserve price).
*BEWARE: if you have do "buy it now" or hybrid listing style, you will make a smaller margin*

*Be as accurate a possibly when you describe the item

*The shipping cost from Canada to anywhere in the world can get scary so make sure the buyer understands how much it would cost to ship the item(s). You can limit to where you are willing to ship your items (ex USA and Canada only)

*When you ship an item NEVER lose the receipt because you need it for proof and insurance (just in case)

***Pay attention to all the fees (ebay and paypal), auction listing (ebay and Paypal fees combined are around 25% on the grand total (item + shipping cost)) and "buy it now" listing (from what I remember it's at least 30% of the grand total)
pulsedragon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Wow, the fees really take a bite.. 25% to 30%..

I would not be selling to anywhere but the USA and Canada when it comes to Ebay. I haven't even cross posted my sales thread to TFW yet.

How do you give an indicattion on shipping costs?? Ebay figures that out for you roughly.. Or do the buyers need to contact you for a quote??

And yes, that $329 was the highest one. Lower ones were in the $200 range which is still a little crazy.

Unfortunately I live too far from the border, so I'm stuck with Canada Post or Couriers which would be more pricey.

And I would think off the top I need tracking, Signature and possibly insurance. Plus confirms address from Paypal. I assume Paypal tells you if their address is confirmed or not??

Old 07-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 View Post
Gonna have to do the same here. Only moved four figs since putting up my sales list and still got several dozen that need to be moved.

Don't get me started on Magic cards, got about 4000 - 5000 of them to go through so I can find the few hundred I want to keep and sell the rest.
As for here in the community I presume it's a bad time to sell, since everyone is saving for TFCon and SDCC.

As for Magic, I have probably a few thousand cards at least going back to 3rd and I am never going to play. I need the room and can use the cash. But, what a chore to wade through to get to the few hundred rares and uncommons that may be worth selling =(

Old 07-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Commandoclone87
Seeker

I know. Just gonna rebuild a few fun decks to play around with every once in a while and the rest, I'm going to sell as an entire lot. May highlight a few of the better rares and uncommons to prick some interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akroyer View Post
As for here in the community I presume it's a bad time to sell, since everyone is saving for TFCon and SDCC.

As for Magic, I have probably a few thousand cards at least going back to 3rd and I am never going to play. I need the room and can use the cash. But, what a chore to wade through to get to the few hundred rares and uncommons that may be worth selling =(
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Well, I tried to make a listing tonight and didn't have much luck. Hopefully I can get it to work tomorrow. I got caught in a loop between hitting list and confirming my identity and being taken back to the confirming the listing..

There seemed to be a few odd things, where the links weren't working right when I was trying to work on the listing. And then they went down to do maintenance or something. Hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow. I tried Firefox, Chrome and IE so I can't imagine all 3 browsers were having issues.

But after a couple hours working on this it was getting hard on the head. It's quite a maze trying to work through everything.