Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-05-2008, 01:19 AM   #1
RedOktobre
Alternator
RedOktobre's Re-Paint Discussion Thread

Hello fellow collectors!

Let's talk about re-paints, shall we?

Originally, I was not a big fan of re-paints. I felt that they were a waste of money. They're strictly another "money grab" by good old Hasbro. For Hasbro, it's cheaper to manufacture existing figures than to design new ones.

However, being your typical addicted TF collector, I have my share of favourite characters, figures, and molds. Low and behold, it wasn't long before I started to violate my own initial principles. I started the awful bad habit of buying repaints of specific characters and figures:, Optimus Prime, Bumbleebee, Megatron (to name a few).

I have noticed that Hasbro's repaints have improved by adding something "new" to the repainted figure. For example, Final Battle Jazz has a different gun, Evac has a different "passenger", and so forth.

Lately, I had my eyes on the desert repaint of Scorponok in the "Desert Attack Battle Scene".

I would like to hear anyone's thoughts, feelings, opinions, and (God forbid) criticisms.

View my collection on Youtube at the raginroninreview channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxoEydL-p6s

Sales Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...800#post360800

Feedback: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=2648

Disclaimer:
All statements or views expressed by the board member, "RedOktobre", are purely personal opinions which may or may not be substantiated by relevant facts. Any perceived insult resulting from opinions asserted by the said board member is absolutely unintentional.
RedOktobre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:28 AM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: RedOktobre's Re-Paint Discussion Thread

I don't buy repaints, but I do buy remolded figures like Final Battle Jazz (new gun + parts molded differently to simulate battle damage), Evac (new head, new hands, lifeboat), Thundercracker (new head), Premium Prime (new head, sword, G1 transformation sound), CC Bumblebee (battlemask), etc. But straight repaints, no way.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:40 AM   #3
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

I only buy repaint based on certain criteria....
first is the repaint a character I don't already have?
second is the repaint better then the original paint job? (ex 1st energon SS vs 2nd version with G1 colours)
third is the price below retail?

sometimes that third one really gets bumped up to the top of the hierachy if the price is really good.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
miasboytoy
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
third is the price below retail?

sometimes that third one really gets bumped up to the top of the hierachy if the price is really good.
can anyone refuse a tf at a discounted or clearance price =oP
miasboytoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 AM   #5
Pascal
Banned

I forgot to mention that I buy a repaint only if it's superior to the original deco (like Salvage and Overcast)... if it's the case, then I will get rid of the original (adios Dropkick and Dreadwing) so I only have the better incarnation of a particular mold.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:15 AM   #6
dak
Master Creator

would you buy a repaint like Classics Cliffjumper from classics Bumblebee?
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 AM   #7
Pascal
Banned

No since there's no remolding. But if it came with the upgrade kit (new head, spoilers, etc.), then yes.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:01 AM   #8
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

For straight-up repaints, usually for Ultra Magnus, Nemesis Prime, Black Primes, or other Convoy/Megatron figures.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:12 AM   #9
pud333
Animated

I used to rant against repaints all the time, and I still sort of go off on them cause I think Hasbro has gone repaint crazy, but that being said, I have eaten some of my own words in the past few weeks. 99 percent of the time I won't bother with a repaint, but every once in a while there's something I will buy, like the Battle damaged BB, or Revoltech Ultra Magnus (technically not Hasbro, but whatever).

Basically what it comes down to is what sort of attachment I have to those figures being repainted. CC BB is just a great figure I love from the movie, and Ultra Magnus was my first real transformer purchase as a kid, so that particular paint job has a sentimental value to me. However, I won't buy every repaint. I mean, I love Barricade from the movie, but that Recon thing is just awful.

I used to have the view that repaints were just a money grab, which they still are, but every collector has different tastes and likes, so who am I to condemn that? I figure no one is forcing me to buy it.

Last edited by pud333; 03-05-2008 at 03:16 AM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 AM   #10
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

Are the Alt/BT moulds considered repaints or remoulds since the only thing that usually changes is the colour and the head?

Personally, excluding from the Prime/Convoy/Nemesis/Magnus variants, I'm not into repaints; the only repaints I own are the yellow and orange G2 Constructicons.

I'm not too fond of Hasbro's recent attempts at repaints and it has nothing to do with poor QC or what-have-you. I don't like the fact that repaints are now tweaked just enough so that they are different enough from the original released figure; slightly different heads, different weaponry, etc. It makes harder to not take notice (which I suppose is the whole purpose) whereas before with just the simple repaints, you can bypass that nth repaint of Armada Demolishor without much thought. It's like Hasbro watched that Simpsons episode with "Lisa Lionheart" and are branding repaints as "Malibu Stacy's... with a different hat"..
cannabisprime is offline   Reply With Quote