Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews > Transformers Video Reviews

Old 01-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
GotBot
Nexus Maximus
POTP Rodiumus Prime - pretty awful, unless you take another perspective

Transformers Power of the Primes Evolution Rodimus Prime is really not a good toy, at least not if you don`t alter your point of view. While there are many problems with him, there is also another way to look at it that might just make this guy a worthy update to the classic character.
https://youtu.be/qcUB5dZWgnE
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
oroboru
Machine War
Re: POTP Rodiumus Prime - pretty awful, unless you take another perspective

Hmm.. well, obviously your opinion is yours.

I would personally say this is an above average Transformer toy.

Personally, if I were a kid, I'd love the fact you have essentially two figures in one. It has a semi RiD Magnus feel in the sense it is a partial parts former, which some people have issues with. I personally have issues with it if there are breakage issues, which in this case only time will tell.

For many, this will probably be the biggest turn off for people.

My issues range from cosmetic to the typical QC. Paint app quality aside, my biggest gripe is that Hasbro cheaped out (or Takara.. or both) and got rid of the orange on the upper arms of the combined mode. It's not like you had to get special plastic, guys.. you were using it on Hot Rod already.

Other issues would be poor quality of plastic sprue removal, and the overall light weight feel of the figure itself, which results in the figure feeling somewhat fragile and as a result, we're somewhat afraid to rip limbs off and so on.

The limited articulation is somewhat disappointing, but being a mainline release, I don't typically sweat the details if the waist is missed. On a MP release, on the other hand, definitely is important.

In recent years, I've noticed that the actual quality of the plastic and joints and so on are pretty much the same on Takara vs. the Hasbro stuff, while it used to be far superior on the Takara releases. Obviously paint apps were better on Takara, but it doesn't appear that this will be an issue with at least part of the line that has been revealed in Japan.

Overall, as an upgrade to Rodimus Prime, it's not bad.. kind of a really shitty consolation prize to those that missed out on MP-9 but IMO looks a hell of a lot better than OP when combined.

I do, however, feel bad for the Takara collectors because if my theory of it being literally the same toy, QC and all, are true, then damn that's going to be a real expensive Japanese printed box. Who knows, though... maybe like with Trypticon, QC might be better?
oroboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

We are all entitled to our likes and dislikes and this guy, more than most, seems to be pretty polarizing, people either love him or hate him. I can respect a difference of opinion though, that`s cool, difference options for different tastes is always a good thing.. As a kid, I too would love two figures in one, I would not, however, love the fact that this guy is so fiddly and requires so much force that I would never have been able to successfully convert him. I know now the trailer would be tossed in a bag and the bot would stay in bot mode, once I got those shoulders out, assuming I didn`t break them off in the process. I am cool with him being a partsformer but after how smooth the combiner wars connections have been, I am baffled why they didn`t use something similar here. I saw a poor dude whose trailer was missing the back wheels. That is inexcusable QC.I agree with you about the missing upper arm orange too.Agreed as well about the articulation. Oddly, more than a waist, I wish his forward kick was a little higher. It is nice to have an update and I totally respect the engineering creativity that was attempted. Truth is, i think he could have been a win, a total win, with a few tweaks here and there. According to the wiki, Japan will be exactly the same , `down to the last factory applied sticker`. We shall see.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

I haven't own this figure yet. So asking your opinion here.

I wonder compare this with the FPJ armor + CHUG hot rod, which is a better version?

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post

I wonder compare this with the FPJ armor + CHUG hot rod, which is a better version?
FP IMO
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Aximili1
Generation 1

I like this Rodimus. It's not perfect and it could've been better. But I'm able to get him to look good in all modes and will be sealing the stickers for longevity. I'm happy with it as a classics Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime.
Aximili1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
Bountyan
Cybertron

I actually like it. Other than Rodimus Prime's shoulders, the visible fists in alt mode, and the other typical cheap crap Hasbro keeps doing (stickers, clipped unpainted wheels) I think it's good. I'm mostly going to be using the Hot Rod mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post

I have both and I prefer this. The aesthetic meshes better with other stuff and it looks more accurate than FP's. I still like FP's enough to not sell it but this is replacing it on my shelf.

Last edited by Bountyan; 01-03-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Bountyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 PM   #8
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

I like Rodimus more than Hotrod, but I don't hate the thing. It's not amazing, but it's not bad either.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #9
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenddkillaa View Post
Again, your reviews are terrible, horrendous in fact. Please quit.
Why do you speak such nonsense when you say nothing of value? I can't, and don't seek to, please all the people all the time. If you don't like my style, then either suggest ways to improve, in your opinion, or just plain don't watch - easy peasey. Not everyone likes everyone else's style and that's cool too, but I'm not going to quit because someone disagrees with how I approach a topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aximili1 View Post
I like this Rodimus. It's not perfect and it could've been better. But I'm able to get him to look good in all modes and will be sealing the stickers for longevity. I'm happy with it as a classics Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime.
I am glad you like him man. I don't know of there is any way to make the big robot look good without painting all the red into maroon to match. I get that some people don't mind it and I wish I was one of them, but combined I can't see anything but the mismatch on the arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I like Rodimus more than Hotrod, but I don't hate the thing. It's not amazing, but it's not bad either.
Glass half full lol? I feel like this guy has been so polarizing.

Last edited by GotBot; 01-03-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #10
Pascal
Banned

I think it's one of the best mainline leaders we've gotten in years outside of the movie lines. It's really fun. All it needs to be perfect are covers to hide the fists in truck mode.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote