Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #31
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: Looking at 3rd Parties, what haven't Has/Tak caught on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
While this is true, I don't think we're that small of a percentage anymore. And I know there are quite a few out there who agree with me, many of whom are on certain podcasts.
There's WAY more kids around the world then hardcore Transformers collectors, let alone hardcore collectors willing to shell out big bucks for awesome products because lets face it...there's a lot of cheap people in this fandom...it's that simple.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #32
Undrave
Canadian Slag

One thing I think HasTak could learn from 3rd Party is that it's okay to design a Transformer with a more blocky mechanical look. No need to go all Movie style organic all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullray View Post
I don't thing Hasbro is overall concerned with the combine gestalt feature as the driving factor when it comes to this set. Parents purchasing the product in general are not aware of the combining features of the set. Or if they do then they react in a manner of "that's kinda neat". So to purchase individual stand alone pieces out of Walmart or TRU parents would have to shell out on the average $18/figure x 5 plus tax. That is the $100+ range for a complete set. If you do not hold the interest of the child for more than 10 seconds these days why would they go back and get the next piece and so on. I think it was wise of Hasbro to create an engaging piece to keep kids entertained. Well thats IMO anyways. I'd say maybe some 3rd party will come up with some fantastic add-on but thats my adult collector coming through and parents and kids don't know who or what 3rd party are for the most part.
I think you missed the point. The point was that there was no need to do the whole Scramble City thing with the limbs on FOC Bruticus. They should have just focused on making them able to turn into one good limb instead of having them being four different mediocre limb. Not all of them needed to include a hand for Bruticus for exemple. Doing that would probably have freed up some ressources and made the end product more interesting.

Like mentionned they really should have played up the combiner gimmick and have a gift set ready for X-mas!
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #33
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Or a voyager onslaught, would help

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #34
Woundave
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
There's WAY more kids around the world then hardcore Transformers collectors, let alone hardcore collectors willing to shell out big bucks for awesome products because lets face it...there's a lot of cheap people in this fandom...it's that simple.

There's a difference between cheap and has a limited budget and isn't willing to spend 600$ on Hercules.

I got 2 two young kids and a wife that's still in school, if I'm going to spend 500 over the.next year I would rather have several full.shelves and some reprolabels on some figs than 3 masterpiece figs looking all lonely or 1 third party combiner.

Just the way I see.it, but not being able to sink thousands of dollars into a hobby doesnt make someone cheap.
Woundave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #35
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundave View Post
There's a difference between cheap and has a limited budget and isn't willing to spend 600$ on Hercules.

I got 2 two young kids and a wife that's still in school, if I'm going to spend 500 over the.next year I would rather have several full.shelves and some reprolabels on some figs than 3 masterpiece figs looking all lonely or 1 third party combiner.

Just the way I see.it, but not being able to sink thousands of dollars into a hobby doesnt make someone cheap.
Exactly.

And I agree with you GM; there are FAR more kids than collectors, but I don't think the margins are so far apart as Hasbro would have us believe. I think that if we, as in ALL TF collectors, decided to stop buying from them tomorrow, the loss in profits would be felt. I'm not going to be so arrogant as to say that Hasbro would go under without us, not at all. But I'm sure it would be enough of a loss that they would sit up and take notice. Perhaps even be a little concerned.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #36
Nullray
IGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post
One thing I think HasTak could learn from 3rd Party is that it's okay to design a Transformer with a more blocky mechanical look. No need to go all Movie style organic all the time.

I think you missed the point. The point was that there was no need to do the whole Scramble City thing with the limbs on FOC Bruticus. They should have just focused on making them able to turn into one good limb instead of having them being four different mediocre limb. Not all of them needed to include a hand for Bruticus for exemple. Doing that would probably have freed up some ressources and made the end product more interesting.

Like mentionned they really should have played up the combiner gimmick and have a gift set ready for X-mas!

Well in all fairness. There has been multiple "Gift sets" released for this mold and I didn't like any of them to be honest. SDCC had first shot and then there was the shared G2 BBTS Bruticus gift sets. Gimmicks are present in all different lines to market the products. I agree with GMFan. People are mainly cheap or frugal and don't want put out huge coin for something that is probably going to be gifted to a lucky child.
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #37
joshimus
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post

That's just it, they could have simplified bruticus without making the limbs so interchangable and making the figure, imo mind you, a better figure as a whole...but they didnt. Thats why i dont want foc bruticus. I was disappointed with how it turned out. On that note, kids dont give a shit so... End result is either re-buy on a good sale price and modify myself or dont own them which is the more likely outcome.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote