Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #11
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind
Re: Do you care about small TF toy shop die ?

There are a few good "small" shops in Calgary that I usually go to. I have been going to Phoenix Comics for years and still love looking around at all the stuff and Chinook Hobby is aways good for stuff and does have great deals at times. But, if I had the choice, I would buy from one of the biggies as they are all closer and cheaper...
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #12
Nocturn
Previously Dead

I try to like the small stores, I really do. Problem is it's rare for them to have anything before retail, or cheaper. That said, both have happened, plus other collectors may sell to them, so it's useful for filling in some holes.

As it stands, Tommy is the only guy with product I want that I can't get elsewhere locally, so aside from a few oldies at Pheonix, other Pheonix, Comickazi, or Chinook Hobby, I end up supporting big box

And then I try to go TRU, because they're going under and frankly I'd much rather shop there than Wal-Mart
Old 08-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #13
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

- does your store have what I want?
- how fast do I get the toy?
- how much is it?
- brown man always needs his rebate.

that's all i care about.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

No small stores in my area carry any TF product I want.

Occasionally they'll have a piece (usually Horror related) but my local stores are very wary on what they bring in now because most got stuff with a TON of product after the "Collectible Toy Boom" earlier this decade.

So it's usually a non-issue for me. I tend to wait till I go to the local Action Figure shows to do the bulk of my shopping now.

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 08-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Yes, I definitely care...

There was a time when I was newer the scene that I lived for these types of shops...I bought tons of TFs from stores like this...but as time has gone on and I've gotten more and more used to pre-orders/online/ebay/boards--I find I almost HAVE TO to get reasonable prices and stay on top of things (and not miss out on super-desirables that boutiques can't seem to guarantee) so I am (unfortunately) finding I need these stores less and less.

In Ottawa, some of them buy exclusives from TRU and Walmart and sell them at a higher price. (bad)

I really liked (and still really like) going into these store though. There is a really nice experience seeing all the product, finding a gem (sometimes an older thing I didn't buy for some reason) and looking at other toylines. In fact, I find that now I tend to go to these stores looking for toys other than TFs, and often walking away with something cool that I didn't even know about in the first place. (good)

In short, I hope they stick around, and am always sad to see them gone.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #16
j3tang
Generation 1

There is a couple in my area that owns a store I love going into. They've got a few Transformer toys and a lot of designer vinyl that I used to be big on. But I gotta admit, there's more variety online from stores and forums and better prices. I buy stuff from the store on impulse but it doesn't happen a lot as the prices are just a little too much to bear for me.

ex. Alternity figures for $75, MP-03G for $160. These prices are before tax (but there's usually room for haggling or cash discount).

I just love popping into the store to see all the toy awesomeness.

Want List: ...

j3tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:18 AM   #17
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echotransformer View Post
Yes, I definitely care...

There was a time when I was newer the scene that I lived for these types of shops...I bought tons of TFs from stores like this...but as time has gone on and I've gotten more and more used to pre-orders/online/ebay/boards--I find I almost HAVE TO to get reasonable prices and stay on top of things (and not miss out on super-desirables that boutiques can't seem to guarantee) so I am (unfortunately) finding I need these stores less and less.

I really liked (and still really like) going into these store though. There is a really nice experience seeing all the product, finding a gem (sometimes an older thing I didn't buy for some reason) and looking at other toylines.

In short, I hope they stick around, and am always sad to see them gone.
Same. It's so much easier preordering because you know your guaranteed to get one, and on sites like Hobby Search and Ami Ami, you get a nice discount too. And I'm inherently lazy, so if a easier option comes up, I take it

But I also HATE paying for shipping and would rather get a chance to inspect what I'm buying first than hoping the fig i get in the mail has no factory errors.

I could of bought the FP Bruticus set at my local hobby shop but I don't know when they will get them in, how much and how many. So there is a chance of missing the shipment entirely and I would be SOL. Tfsource then whispers in my ear "click here, relax we've got your covered."

So, I guess my problem is my lack of faith in my local hobby shop of when they will have it in and how many they are going to have.

ConvoyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:06 AM   #18
SleeplessKnight
Robot in Disguise

I will happily pay more to buy a figure in a store. To me, it's important to be able to inspect each figure for the one with the best paint aps, notice visible QC issues and if I'm looking for something to keep MISB, I'd like to inspect the box as well for any dented bubbles, tears, bent cardboard or scuff marks.

And sure, it's easy to just order something off the web, but I really do enjoy driving to 4 different toys r us's, 6 different Walmarts, and 3 different indepentant retailers all in the same day to look for stuff. It's all about the thrill of the hunt!
SleeplessKnight is offline   Reply With Quote