Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Gaetznes
Cassetticon
Got to love Advance Notice NO JOB for you in 6 to 9 Months

SO yeah, I work at zellers, so I knew this was coming even down to the little details like time range. Target just announced to Zellers that Walmart will be taking over the location I work at. Basically in 6 to 9 months it will transfered over to Walmart.

Now, under the agreement of HBC to Target, we get laid off and have the ability to be rehired by target.

Walmart, has suggested that they may not lay off us. That we may actually have a transfer of employment. However this does not guarantee, Wages, Benefits, Full time status, additonally other thing.

So its a mixed blessing. The "rumor" as I see it, is just a rumor till it actually happens. I wanted to be laid off, so I could go back to school. But if its a transfer of employment, means no lay off. Also, I don't want to work for the Occult. Others I work with are extremely happy as they are just years out from retirement. So good for them.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Smile Re: Got to love Advance Notice NO JOB for you in 6 to 9 Months

That's definetely a mixed blessing.

My suggestion to is to starting saving up for the "negative side". You're in a far better position than most people when the news hits, especially when they're told when they have only 2-4 paycheques left.

Psst....Wal-Mart has a better TF selection than Zellers...so it may not be completely bad.

Keep us posted please.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions
Re: Got to love Advance Notice NO JOB for you in 6 to 9 Months

Chances are...you will get a lay off and then will have to sign a paper if you intend to retain your job under Wal Mart. This happened to me with a previous employer. You have every right though to not sign and then you'll have the lay off.

My advice though...speak to your employment bureau for the DEFINATE low down of your rights when the situation occurs.

Oh ya, and thats odd they have given you so much notice. Most companies wait until the last second to sucker you into signing and giving you kniow time to actually think of your options.

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus

Last edited by UltraMarknus; 09-23-2011 at 10:15 AM.
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

There is a minimum of 6 months notice of termination of employment. When a company is being dissolved or sold off by law. In the manor that zellers has, is my understanding. It has to do with the legality of the lease being sold of, not the company. As the company of zellers will cease to exist no later then second quarter 2013, also my understanding.

However, I am always joking that we will walk to the door. All the windows will be papered and the doors will be locked. The managers will try to use there keys and the locks will have been changed. Oh the joy of life.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I intially was going top say to go onto unemployment insurance for a little while and take it easy, but that "transfer" deal might complicate that.

Still if you didn't want to work for Walmart I think you would still have a strong arguement for EI, esspecially if they change your wage/benefits/hours and the like.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Target hates your store so much that they're giving it to Wal-Mart??? WTF is up with that? Is there already another location near you that is going to become a Target?
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Target is dumping millions into reno's for one. Our store doesn't actually need one, since we just finished a full reno 2 years ago.

However, one of targets main issues was Floor space. Our stock room is twice the size of a standard store. However, the sales floor is several 100 sq feet to small for there minimum standard. So they would have to reno a newly reno'ed building, moving walls and such which is very expensive. Espeically if they wanted to move the boiler and air conditioning system.

Thirdly, there is another zellers less then 15 mins away which just need a cosmetic reno. Plus its actual sales floor is larger, and unlike ours no walls would have to be moved. They were already told back in may or june that they will become a target.

Fourthly, walmart has been trying to get a spot on my part of the city for 5 plus years, but at every turn the city, private owner or irving has shafted them. So if they need to pick up the crums of target to get into the west side, I guess thats what they will do.

The location I work at, is the only box department store in the entire area. Theres Canadian tire and Sobeys, but they don't count.

What I don't understand is we are one of the top grossing stores in all of atlantic canada. I mean, Number 1. We generally out perform stores double our size in cities 3 to 5 times larger then us.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

Have to agree that the fact you have that much notice is a good thing. It means you can prep for it, or even start job hunting elsewhere if you want.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Commandoclone87
Seeker

If you do take the layoff and want to go back to school, remember to ask your EI advisor about Training and Skills Development. They will help with schooling costs and will continue EI benefits untill you leave school.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote