Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2
Canada Customs Duty on Plastic -_-

I got my Amiami package today and was hit with customs, it's been happening more frequently lately, oh well. And on top of tax and the handling fee, I get a $8 duty charge. The classification for the duty was "3923909090 14 PLASTICS." I couldn't find a lot of info, but what I found is that number is used for industrial plastic equipment. The Amiami packing slip lists the items as "plastic model and plastic figurine." What I got was a AM Final Battle Megatron, SRC Gunbuster, and a Revoltech Iron Man. Normal stuff.

Clearly it's a misidentification of the packing slip or Customs seeing a chance for easy money.... Maybe I should be lucky Customs didn't just charge me on the number value alone not realizing it's in yen and not dollars, as I've heard that happening before. Also, the handling fee is $9.95. Don't remember, but was it always that high? Man, in total it was $33 bucks charged.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
shabooya
Banned
Re: Canada Customs Duty on Plastic -_-

Order online and roll that dice...
shabooya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
pandaprime
aficionado!

ouch. the "handling fee" used to be $8.50

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

I've never had a handling fee like that before on anything I've ordered figure wise. o_O

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabooya View Post
Order online and roll that dice...
Been buying online for years, I'm fine with rolling the dice. But to get charged duty becuz customs couldn't tell the difference between industrial plastic and plastic toys and/or wanted to skim a bit more over the top knowingly is just idiotic.

And was wondering if anyone else has ever been charged duty on plastic.

And I kinda have to buy online. I don't know a place where I can get the stuff I like locally, but also mainly its cheaper online on some stuff.

Last edited by ConvoyGTR; 03-07-2013 at 01:08 AM.
ConvoyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
T9S4N
Machine War

I was planning on getting a large amount from Hobby link, this kind of makes me second guess it now...

does it matter whether you choose EMS of FEDEX? For instance, does one get hit with customs more often, or is it all even across the board?
T9S4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
protoform_ironhide
Commander

I don't know. I seem to get ding by custom everything I order something from HLJ, but I don't really check what they charge me though... I am always expecting to pay somekind of fees when I order from them. Not cheap.. not cheap at all.
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

I've never had to worry about custom charges. If the value is under $20 you shouldn't anyways. I always import with HLJ. Use EMS as my shipping. Never have a problem.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #9
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T9S4N View Post
I was planning on getting a large amount from Hobby link, this kind of makes me second guess it now...

does it matter whether you choose EMS of FEDEX? For instance, does one get hit with customs more often, or is it all even across the board?
I find I have a bit better luck shipping with EMS than SAL. But Customs can ding you all the same, just seems your chances are better.

I strongly do not recommend using FedEX, UPS, DHL, or whatever courier company service. Why? Brokerage fees. You won't be customs, but instead the courier company itself will charge you all sorts of additional fees like gas, delivery, etc, that can sometimes be as much as the package itself. I had something shipped from the States and the only shipping option was UPS and the brokerage fee I was billed was like $80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
I've never had to worry about custom charges. If the value is under $20 you shouldn't anyways. I always import with HLJ. Use EMS as my shipping. Never have a problem.
Ya, officially I think the value they allow is like $15 or $20. Personally, I find I'm okay till $50ish then yes, EMS is the way to go.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
justprime
Animated

I know here in Ont we get charged what used to be provincial sales tax as its been rolled into the New HST thanks to that dick in qweens park, since it wasn't bought here in this province thats taxation with out representation the Feds shouldnt be grabbing the full amount in my opinion just another way were getting it put to us.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada customs sucks