Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
DuG
Titanium
CBC news article about IDW Transformers Comics

Saw this on CBC.ca this morning.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/entertai...-idw-1.4203312
DuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt
Re: CBC news article about IDW Transformers Comics

It frustrates me to no end when stories like this focus 100% on writers and ignore artists completely.

With that said, if the article brings new readership to IDW's books, all the better.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
79transam
Machine War

Well it does contrast Bayverse garbage in the way that his movies were written by a 12yr old and have terrible story.
The point of his article is that IDW Transformers is a story. A deep, complex, multifaceted range of characters and elements to bring you into their world.
I think the pictures they added bring light to the artists very well. Pictures speak louder than words. So 100% focus on the writers may not be that keen of an observation, given that the article contains enough art from the pages to show off the pencils, inks, colors and writing.

Last edited by 79transam; 07-16-2017 at 01:59 PM.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
Msol
Titanium

Great article, thanks for sharing!
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

Don't get me wrong, it's a great article from a mainstream publication and I hope it attracts a lot of new readers to IDW because the comics are terrific. They're absolutely the anti-Bayverse in terms of character development, subject matter, and intricate storytelling.

My comment came from a trend I've noticed where articles about comics tend to focus on the writers and take the artists for granted. In a visual medium, the art has a fundamental impact on the story. If you need an example of how important that is, compare an issue drawn by Milne to one drawn by Ramondelli.

Not taking anything away from the writers, of course.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
79transam
Machine War

I think it may be hard to incorporate the several people it takes to do the art in a news article about the story.

Not to take away from the work the artists do, but from a writers perspective, how would you determine who gets mention? How would you keep it relevant to the article? It might throw the article off to interject a paragraph about how the inks and pencillers convey the story for example.

I do believe the pictures themselves would be well suited for an excerpt to give merit to the artists involved.
That way the story isn't thrown off and at the same time, the credit goes to where it is deserved.

I definitely see what you're saying Ken. I concur.

Last edited by 79transam; 07-16-2017 at 04:05 PM.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
Don't get me wrong, it's a great article from a mainstream publication and I hope it attracts a lot of new readers to IDW because the comics are terrific. They're absolutely the anti-Bayverse in terms of character development, subject matter, and intricate storytelling.

My comment came from a trend I've noticed where articles about comics tend to focus on the writers and take the artists for granted. In a visual medium, the art has a fundamental impact on the story. If you need an example of how important that is, compare an issue drawn by Milne to one drawn by Ramondelli.

Not taking anything away from the writers, of course.
Yep.

And don't pretend Alex Milne wasn't a huge part of MTMTE's success.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #8
Msol
Titanium

Sure, but I'd say the big reason MTMTE got all that critical acclaim was due to the ideas Roberts brought to the table. IDW was nothing to a lot of people until LSoTW. I miss Milne dearly (and Josh Burcham's colouring) but he wasn't nearly as beloved for his work prior to MTMTE.
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Completely off topic of the article but I feel like comic writers often don't get the credit they deserve.

Look at stuff like the convention circuit. You almost never see comic writers featured, and those that are get outnumbered by comic artists umpteen to one.

There are financial reasons for this, but really look at most guest lineups for major shows. A lot more artists than writers.

I've always enjoyed how TFcon makes sure to include guests like Furman, Roberts and Barber along with the wealth of amazing artists. Most shows that can do that don't.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote