Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
kakit
Machine War
Transformers Displays in Other Countries

Well we all know what Canadian Transformer displays at TRU or Walmart, and they're not too different from those at the US stores, but I thought I'd share the Hong Kong experience with some pics from their TRUs.

A few things to note first, HK TRUs sell a lot more Japanese product. As you'll see, Henkei is everywhere, last summer I went Classics was everywhere. Seems as though HK fans get the best of both worlds and at reasonable prices. One big pull for tourists is the fact that HK has no sales tax, you heard me =P Also business is done a little differently, on weekends they have small seminars in TRUs to teach kids how to build their Gundam kits or even one that I walked into today had Animated figures out for kids to try out! Anyway, enough of me blabbering and here are some pics!

Those above are all Toys R Us, one of the larger ones at Ocean Terminal (Tsim Sha Tsui Station) and Tai Koo Sing Jong Sum (Tai koo Station). Hunted at Po Lam's TRU too but they didn't have any spectacular display. Seems like the Ultimate Bumblebee isn't selling too well either huh? Also, never knew the Road Bots so large.

These pictures are from a smaller hobby store that I always visit when I go back to Hong Kong. Got my MP Megatron from them =D Store is called Animate United, not much in terms of Animated and stuff but more so in Henkei.

One thing to note is the equal love of Gundams =P These are from a Japanese department store called Jusco. They had Henkei stuff too and the Classics Magnus vs Prime two pack. What I want to note is the SDCC Universe Nemesis Prime is available there! It was also available at Apita (another Japanese dept store) They had a great display but they don't allow photography in their store.

Bad Seller: X-Warlock
kakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Autovolt 127
Animated
Re: Transformers Displays in Other Countries

Nemesis Prime OHHHHHHHHHHH@!!!!!!!!! why doesn't hasbro ever release one in Canada.

I'm starting hate living in Canada more and more every day......
Add me on Discord: Autovolt#7759
Autovolt 127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Nice pics, I like their displays! What does the prices translate into CDN dollars?

Did you bring back any extra stuff?
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Nice, I see that single-packed Battle-Damaged Voyager Movie Prime that never made it out to Western countries... I still need that...
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
lars573
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCommander View Post
What does the prices translate into CDN dollars?
1.00 CAD=7.31681 HKD

So the movie leaders were $34.03 CAD
Henkei voyagers were $31.30
Universe voyagers were $29.93

But the big question is are there VAT's that you have to pay at the cash. Some countries include them in the retail price of the product.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Lysist
Alternator

Hey Kakit,

Props for posting these! it is really cool to see them and get an idea of what it looks like on the other side of the Pacific! Awesome, but I will always thing that our stores are super ghetto now.
Lysist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Icetron

Wow, very cool. I'm so jealous of their displays. Now I really can't wait till I get some time to go visit HK.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
pud333
Animated

Interesting. Products prominently displayed, everything stacked and neat, nothing strewn about anywhere... Whenever I'm in a TRU, it's a disaster area. Are Canadian customers really that much more messy and inconsiderate? I don't get it.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Aernaroth
Metroplex

I wish we still had those glass display dioramas here like when I was a kid, but then again, they eat up a lot of space.

Still, It'd be nice to see stuff like that again.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
kakit
Machine War

No problem guys =D I'll be going by Wan Chai today, if I see any small toy stores with displays I'll be sure to take pictures. But not guaranteed cause some stores don't allow pictures for whatever reason.

@ Lars: Not sure wat VATs are but that price you see is how much you pay. That's it. lol

@ Cobra Commander: Only got 3 figs, just the ones available in Canada, Onslaught, Powerglide and Oilslick. Wasn't greedy to pick up all the Nemesis Primes or Henkei lol saving that space for clothes haha

Bad Seller: X-Warlock
kakit is offline   Reply With Quote