Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian
Theory on Sideswipe vs. Tracks name in ROTF

It just occured to me the other day why Michael Bay and co. didn't use the name "Tracks" for the corvette in the new movie.

We all know that in the G1 series Tracks was the corvette and the movie design for Sideswipe does bear a pretty decent resemblance to G1 Tracks. I think a large number of fans were pretty confused when his name was announced as Sideswipe when there was a fitting G1 name readily available.

Then I realized the other day Mudflap's car mode is a chevy TRAX.

They probably just didn't want to confuse the public and the licensors, and hence went with the Sideswipe name. Just a cool sounding name plucked randomly from the TF Universe.

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: Theory on Sideswipe vs. Tracks name in ROTF

Could be! I hope we get a Tracks repaint out of that Sideswipe mold. Especially since the next remold is called Swerve and that Swerve was a Tracks remold in the Alternators series.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

I don't even think Tracks's name was in the running...they probably had Sideswipe pinned when the CG was done as its based off the character's "attributes"....he side swipes :P

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
dak
Master Creator

Being a Tracks fan, i'm ok with sideswipe taking the corvette. because this isn't G1, i'm cool with change. I'd accept Tracks as a Lambo.
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
I don't even think Tracks's name was in the running...they probably had Sideswipe pinned when the CG was done as its based off the character's "attributes"....he side swipes :P
Yeah I think so too. I don't think the alt modes, in the movie, determing what character it will be. They're all GM cars so it would be pretty limiting. Besides in G1, Side swipe was a kick ass warrior and Tracks was a chrome polishing fop. Which do you think kids, big and small, will like better?

As for his attributes, better that he side swipes than swipes sides. Can you imagine a character that goes around stealing car doors? ... Ok lame joke... hahha.
Sun Swipe Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Malcontent
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
I have to agree with this, I remember when the UK TF magazine previewed a "new" animated character for it's comic that was obviously based on movie designs, and the character was named Sideswipe. Eventually, the character was renamed to something that wasn't very memorable.

I'll try to find a picture of this character.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Pascal
Banned

We don't know anything about this. Writers and Bay can say all the BS they want, they will always come up with slightly different stories every time it's time to explain this and that. Not even mentionning all the stuff they won't say. Pretty sure the Tracks got considered at some point, even if for just 5 seconds, if only for the facts that Tracks was THE Corvette in G1.

Last edited by Pascal; 06-22-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
I have to agree with this, I remember when the UK TF magazine previewed a "new" animated character for it's comic that was obviously based on movie designs, and the character was named Sideswipe. Eventually, the character was renamed to something that wasn't very memorable.

I'll try to find a picture of this character.
Afterburn

Not a Wyatt creation...

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
Articuplex
Generation 1

On TFA, if anyone remembers, from episode "This is Why I hate Machines" a character that looks like a TFA version of Tracks made a comeo, he got a little freaked out about an organic. I hope there will be TFA figures of the g1 characters we've seen on TFA issued, like Rodimus, RC, Tracks, Wheeljax, Perceptor, Brawn, ... etc. Here's hopin cause the series is/being cancelled....?
Articuplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

We'll get Rodimus and Arcee,
Perceptor and Brawn no,
Tracks and Wheeljack definately not as they don't even have alt modes designed.