Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #1351
Undrave
Canadian Slag
Re: The Montreal/Quebec Local Fans Banter Thread

Anime cons are filled with cosplay kids now who only go there to hang out with other cosplay kids. If it's more expensive than 20$ they don't have the money for it...

Darn kids don't realize how sweet they got it...
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #1352
Kristal
Machine War

I'm probably going to the okathuton,but I'm holding back on spending. I'll go buy some games and some revoltechs/play arts.

And Fuuuuuuuu I HATE glomping. If you don't know me, don't bloody hug me you damn Weeaboos.
Kristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #1353
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

So the random hugging still happens. Hahaha. And kids today now have a name for it. lol

Kristal, random hugs from ladies dressed in nurse, high school uniform, latex perhaps isn't all that bad. lol. For me anyway...
Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #1354
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

One of these days, I gotta time one of my Tokyo trips with an anime/game convention.

I've only been to Otakuthon once, back in 2009, but really only because Johnny Yong Bosch was a guest that time. My (much younger) sister-in-law is always a staff/volunteer at Otakuthon, though.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #1355
SMOG
zombicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxys View Post
Its very strange how much business Ontario gets and how little montreal gets. Its definetly the communities, but im curious why people here just dont spend money on these things. This is also apparent by the lack of toy shops we have here. I guess people here love clothes (ie Carrefour's huge transition over the last few years) more than fun? Id love to open up a comic/toy store but its gonna burn to the ground for sure
That is the Montreal/Toronto divide. Montreal is laid back, hippy, eurocentric and "cultural"... Toronto is a business city. If you've ever spent time in Toronto, you'll know what I mean. You run into someone in Toronto, and one of the first questions you will always get is "What are you DOING lately?" Torontonians are doers. They have projects. They network. They collaborate. They advance themselves. They don't sit still (and they can't afford to, since the rents are high). Honestly, I couldn't bear to live in Toronto. I just don't have the raw ambition.

Meanwhile, walk down a street in Montreal in the summer in the middle of a business day, and every terrace is full of people slumming, taking it easy, enjoying life, etc... This city is a "work to live, but not too much" kind of place... and our budgets tend to reflect that. We're a great city, but we're a cheap city too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhai View Post
I grew up in Granby. I liked transformers as toys when I was young but my favorite TV shows were Robin et Stella, Inimagimo, les Mystérieuses Cités d'Or, Sous le Signe des Mousquetaires... and I don't feel at all like I grew up in a "dark ages" or "boring" culture. Quebec is a quite different market for sure, and it has a lot to do with the langage of course, but also for our preference towards fantasy and historical stuff rather than sci-fi stuff. Amos Daragon, Harry Potter an al. will always be more popular here than TFs, super-heroes and sci-fi shows.

In my opinion, when a business tries to enter a new market and fail, only the business is to blame, not the culture.
I agree... Quebec definitely has a franco-european and heavily Japanese-inflected nerd culture... and I think it's more significant than Proto implies, but it is still very different than Anglo Canadian nerd culture.

Of course, thanks to the internet, global media distribution and the significant surge in nerd culture this decade overall, I think that is gradually changing. You can grow up with Albator and obscure B-D's, but you'd have to living under a rock to not be exposed to mainstream anglo pop culture these days.

I wouldn't say that Quebec nerd culture is necessarily dull, but I can definitely appreciate that it is less financially draining/rewarding. I mean, I'm pretty damn cheap as far as toy/TF collectors go, and I still spend waaaay too much on this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxys View Post
At TFCON last year I almost beat someone because they kept leaning over my girlfriend making weird sounds. I feel bad for them cause they dont know how to control their emotional urges, but thats not the way its done. Also, a little common sense would be nice, getting touchy-feely by strangers isnt exactly appealing Some people just need to get full-time jobs and exposure to the outside. That'll sober them up.
SERIOUSLY? That's downright awful.

I've spent a lot of my life as a "covert nerd"... I like my nerdy stuff, but I've always tried to keep the larger fandom at arm's reach, not because it was "uncool" to reveal that about myself, but precisely for those kinds of reasons (socially clueless behaviour, not unwanted sexual advances that is, LOL!). I've always been pretty nice to those I meet, but sometimes, some people stretch that to the extreme!

However, I was just reflecting the other day on the fact that since I started buying and trading with other TF fans locally, I've noticed that most of them seem to be really cool, apparently balanced, socially capable people... who just happen nurse a debilitating addiction to plastic robots. I've taken to secretly hoping that Transformers fans, despite being low on the geek status totem pole, are actually predisposed to NOT being insufferable. I can dream, right?

Anyway, I almost never go to Cons, because I think I would get frustrated being in one place with such a broad sample of geeks, rather than smaller interactions with a chosen few (how I generally prefer all my socializing, really). I'm also damn cheap, like I said, so there's only so much appeal a dealer room is going to have for me. People like me are the reason why Cons can't flourish here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhawi View Post
ANYWAY.... Third party Mastermind Creations humble beginnings.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radico...hos-prime.html
Humbling? How is that? That HOS Optimus design was never a kitbash... the designer Griffith actually designed it from the ground up in CAD, and printed the pieces out at home on a 3D printer he had purchased. It was his first robot design project, and he walked through the whole process on the TFW2005 forums. Good times.

Knight Morpher has his flaws, but he's still an impressive piece considering the source.

Quote:
I also remember the whole magic the gathering card games. Some of the guys at card places smell like stale crackers.
Lucky! If they all only smelled like stale crackers, it wouldn't be so bad.

Quote:
Only the Rage of Hercules.

This is my current and probably a more permanent Herc configuration. I just put the chest shield lower. find it corrects the following:

- The high placement of the shoulders
- Lanky torso
- Wide arm placement

It also adds:

- a more G1 chest look
- Bulkier and more buffed chest

All of that just by merely moving the chest piece.

And thanks.

I like it... I'll try that out the next time I assemble the team. Don't you also usually attach the stray cabs to the sides of Long Haul to fill out the torso a bit ?

I've always loved the old Diaclone aesthetic, so I really do like Giant's look. I couldn't tell you which one I think is "better"... saying one is "more complex" means nothing, since simplicity also carries its charms and advantages. But in my case, Hercules was bigger, so that was the deciding factor. One of these days I'd like to hold a Giant in-hand to know whether I think one "feels" better than the other.

zmog
SMOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #1356
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Sorry not kitbash. Scratchbuilt.

Humbling part is for me. They are us. A radicon.

I left the cabs off and in their original place. Less partsforming. I was really wondering what the hell was missing on Herc. It was the enlarged chest and the cab on his right side hidden by the chest piece.

The smaller cab on his left side just doesn't do it but lowering the chest piece opens up tons of things he was missing and corrects some of the awkwards parts. Mainly the high placement of the shoulders.

I like the aesthetics better on Herc. I don't have to hold one to know it. Herc is quite imposing not just with the size but his overall look. Everything more cohesive. Not a simple task if you ask me. Giant on the other hand, has a pretty crowded look. Too busy for me. Much easier to do if you ask me. Not at all complex. Not only that, I can tell whenever there's pieces that are cumbersome on transformation. Again something I don't have to hold to judge. Just looking at videos make me cringe in certain areas during transformation. Much like CC and TB. Not at all more complex but cumbersome is the word I would use. Much like Giant's components.

Last edited by Buhawi; 06-10-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Buhawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #1357
dabra_dmp
Machine War

Holy crap Otakuthon has random hugging!!! Why the hell those things never happen to me.......I still think Ill make my "LF [Girlfriend] PST" tshirt before going to Otakuthon.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #1358
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

^

Hugs are always nice. Some cosplayers like it and as you can see kristal doesn't. You can ask and it won't be as random. Wear a cute costume. It's pretty common among cosplayers.

Weeaboos - I missed that one. There's a name for that now too?

Last edited by Buhawi; 06-11-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Buhawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #1359
pulsedragon20
I win

Quote:
Speaking of anime, the wife and I just subscribed to the crunchyroll's anime streaming service. 7$ a month. It's actually good.
You paid to watch Animé!!!! I hope you realize that you can see most animés online for free right?

Here's 3 sites I use (for those of you who are interested):

-animefreak.tv
-anime44.com
-watchcartoononline.com (anime and cartoons, including TF Prime BH)

For eng dubbed episiodes of a lot of shows
-dubhappy.com

I remember when I was in elementary school in the 90s, the only mangas you can get are french ones...my favorite was Dragonball (uncensored and in French...as Protoman said, light years ahead than English ones)

Do any of you remember when Teletoon first came out? They had anime shows and movies on but that didn't last long... Also, if you had access to the Teletoon in French, they had way better shows on, hell they had Transformers RID at one point if I'm not mistaken

Last edited by pulsedragon20; 06-11-2013 at 02:03 AM. Reason: add
pulsedragon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #1360
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsedragon20 View Post
You paid to watch Animé!!!! I hope you realize that you can see most animés online for free right?

Here's 3 sites I use (for those of you who are interested):

-animefreak.tv
-anime44.com
-watchcartoononline.com (anime and cartoons, including TF Prime BH)

For eng dubbed episiodes of a lot of shows
-dubhappy.com
Aren't those site just dirty sites who make ad revenue by streaming free fansubs they got off hapless fans? I'm not supporting those kind of places, screw that.

Quote:

I remember when I was in elementary school in the 90s, the only mangas you can get are french ones...my favorite was Dragonball (uncensored and in French...as Protoman said, light years ahead than English ones)

Do any of you remember when Teletoon first came out? They had anime shows and movies on but that didn't last long... Also, if you had access to the Teletoon in French, they had way better shows on, hell they had Transformers RID at one point if I'm not mistaken
Teletoon never got RID but they did get Energon and Cybertron... and both had HORRENDOUS dubs in French. Completely unwatchable really. I don't ever recall a GOOD French dub for Transformers aside from the old G1 Quebec dub.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote