Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
TRUCKvsGUN
The Culture of KO's

So, since I recently started getting into the Masterpiece line, I've been getting very wary of the many knock-offs that are out there. Having watched some reviews on KO's so I can (try to) identify them and seeing KOs listed on the boards here, I've been getting the impression that for at least some segment of collectors, buying and displaying them has become an acceptable practice.

What do you think about KO's? Do you think that rewarding a copycat instead of those developing the designs is worth saving the money? Do you guys think that posting videos or links for their sales makes KO's more acceptable among collectors? What are your impressions of KO owners, and to the owners, how do you approach the topic of your KO ownership with other collectors? Answer any other questions you can think of too, while you're at it.

This isn't about shaming, I just wanna see what are the various opinions out there.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
ironclaugh
Armada
Re: The Culture of KO's

I avoid KOs myself, except for crazy coloured G1 combiner KOs.

As far as masterpiece KOs are concerned I know a few guys who buy the official release for bot mode and then a KO to display in vehicle mode.
ironclaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
predahank
Storing is hoarding

If there's an mp that I wouldn't have bought anyways but only bought because a ko was cheap then i'm not really taking away from hastak.

Some ko's actually fill a market void, such as g1 wheeljack, for a collector unable to find a good condition one at a reasonable cost. I say if hastak would reissue dinobots, mirage, sunstreaker, scorponok etc then there wouldn't be a demand for the ko. I guess the argument is lost or broken molds. But if a random chinese factory can reverse engineer it then so should hastak.

I understand the morality, ethics, and economical impacts but personally I'm ok with ko's

That being said, check out a few ko items I have in my sales thread... shameless plug

Last edited by predahank; 01-08-2016 at 03:09 PM.
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
chans formers
raff ow roud

personally I don't like "exact" replicas/ko's.
imho,they tend to drive down the price/value of the authentic pieces.

but I do like weird ko's the more weird and zany the better,like ko's that are fugly colored,have mismatched heads,etc.
kinda like a gundam headed optimus prime truck that has tank treads instead of wheels and sports a giant sword copied from cyber samurai or something like that lol....

I don't look down on others who buy ko's because that's what they can afford or find.
I do look down on those who try to pass off ko's as original like what's going on all over ebay or kijiji....those peeps are scum to me.
or even those who buy ko's for the accessories,join them with authentic bots and then try to pass it off as complete originals"....again....scum.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
elburrito
Animated

KO's used to be a way for a guy who didn't have a lot of cash to get cool toys.

The most recent example I can think of was Binaltech. $150+ MISB or a KO that is about 95% the original toy for $7 MISB. Now KO's seem to be 50% or more of the price of the original.

Personally, I would only but a KO for parts or to do a custom, but would encourage random Chinese factories to keep putting them out. From an integrity point of view, I have zero difficulty with KOs.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
chroma23
douchebag

as long as KOs arent being sold under the guise of an authentic one (and paying the price of an authentic one for a KO) and there is a clear understanding that it is a KO (no lying, no fraud etc)....its fair game IMHO as there is a market for it. sometimes KOs fixes issues that the original toy had too

so as long as you are not getting "ripped off" or "bought a KO thinking that it's the real thing" then i think its fine

BST on cybertron.ca: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47234
FEEDBACK on cybertron.ca: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=16129
chroma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

I stay away from KOs if the official product is reasonably available in some form. A product I like and appreciate is worth supporting with my wallet.

With that said, the only KO I ever bought was an MP Ratbat, and that was only because I couldn't justify buying an MP Soundblaster I didn't want just to have what amounts to an accessory. Had Takara released MP Ratbat on its own, I would've bought the official release.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #8
insane666
Generation 2

Love em. Just like the original and a whole lot cheaper!
insane666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #9
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma23 View Post
as long as KOs arent being sold under the guise of an authentic one (and paying the price of an authentic one for a KO) and there is a clear understanding that it is a KO (no lying, no fraud etc)....its fair game IMHO as there is a market for it. sometimes KOs fixes issues that the original toy had too

so as long as you are not getting "ripped off" or "bought a KO thinking that it's the real thing" then i think its fine
I'm sort of in this boat.

Also, I only buy KOs of stuff I wouldn't normally buy, or I don't already own an original of. I have a Tarkara MP Sideswipe and I have KO one. One for display. Another to mess around with.

From, the looks of all the different KOs coming out, there seems to be a growing understanding or an effort from the KO makers that they don't make exact replicas. It still happens of course. But even with the MP KOs, they're easy to spot in hand.

EG KO MP Sideswipe has Cantach instead of Countach spelled on its rear.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #10
predahank
Storing is hoarding

Are you telling me that my takasa tony wheeljack isn't authentic?
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote