Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 09-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
bedtime
Nexus Maximus
anyone getting the headrobots butcher kit and planning on doing work on onslaught

so after doing some minor paint removal/applying to the mold for the stronghold kit, i figured i'd do something similar for the butcher kit thats coming out... the only thing i can really think of is to paint a lot of the parts that are silver or green black... maybe a bit of red and silver too if i spot anything that'd look good with it...

anyone else think of this or am i alone here?

i'm @bedtime_ on twitter.

Last edited by bedtime; 09-22-2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: screwed up the title
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian
Re: anyone getting the headrobots butcher kit and planning on doing work on onslaught

Kaboom!

Done!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Mumps
Canadian Slag
Re: anyone getting the headrobots butcher kit and planning on doing work on onslaught

I will be painting my extra Onslaught for his new Butcher head. I just don't know wht colours I want to use yet. So far, all I know that I want is a darker colour scheme.
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
I will be painting my extra Onslaught for his new Butcher head. I just don't know wht colours I want to use yet. So far, all I know that I want is a darker colour scheme.
yeah this is my overall outlook too... mostly blacks i think. i already have some black and silver paint, so i'll probably mostly use that. may have to pick up some red if i'm feeling it needs it.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Mumps
Canadian Slag

I am thinking of using Gunmetal for the metalic parts, giving home some blacks and reds, and some purple here and there. I really want to distingush Butcher from Onslaught
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

welp! i did some work on my extra onslaught. the one i got off a kijiji guy (mailed it to me) was missing the shield and one of the inner leg guard thingies, sadly, but this is what i've done so far:

i dont think i'm necessarily going to stop here.... i definitely want to paint the groove going down the forearms red, just need to get a proper brush for that... also need to figure out what i want to do to cover the SWAT on the legs...

Old 10-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Whoa! That's pretty sick. Love the black, red, and grey color scheme. And that Decepticon logo looks especially wicked. How'd you pull that off? Sticker?

It may not say Onslaught, but it's still pretty cool.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Nice choices, it looks really good... if you want to color the grove you might want to google up paint washes and see if that's something you'd like to try. I've never done it myself, but it's supposed to get paint into those groove like details and make it look good. Here's a link I found on it http://www.scalemodelguide.com/guide.../paint-washes/

A small observation. Do you think maybe the black areas need a little silver to balance the big silver patches on the shoulders? Just a thought. Look forward to seeing the finished results.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

washes work well for that sort of thing, i have a bunch of different coloured ones around here,

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

hey thanks guys!

firstly yeah thats just a sticker... if you spend $20 at reprolabels they give you a clear set like that free!

and i heard a similar method to the wash last time i was buying paints at the hobby shop... there was a guy there looking for stuff to paint some gundam thing and i was looking for a gundam marker and he told me a lot of the gundam guys mix black paint with some kind of specific tamiya paint thinner and just pour a tiny amount into the grooves and let it work its way down or whatever... i like the sound of that but i dont think i trust myself to pull it off correctly. i am DEFINITELY a super rookie to the painting thing and i'm not really looking to bite off more than i can chew yet. i have fun with this and if what i do doesnt make it look crappy i'm pretty happy haha