Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-26-2019, 09:43 PM   #11
BludChylde
Generation 2
Re: Storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith27 View Post
Careful with Ziploc bags though. There's a debate as to whether or not they release acid that can damage the plastic. There are certain types of "archival" quality acid-free bags available if you believe there's a difference. They're polypropylene bags if you're looking. A guy who worked at a museum once told me that for larger items, plain plastic grocery bags are safe as long as you don't let the inked side touch anything.
Debate is fine and all, but I'd like to see some damage actually caused by one. I've been using them for Lego since 1996 and for action figures since 2001 or 2002. Like I said in the previous post, the only thing that happens is that they get brittle and tear easy by accessories. I have yet to see any actual damage. Until something is provable, I'm not going to waste my time on archival bags.

Although that is the one thing I find handy about the Transformers lines now. With places to put accessories, you just need something to prevent them from scratching up the paint job on other TFs. No need for storage bags.
BludChylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:32 PM   #12
lifedragon99
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BludChylde View Post
Debate is fine and all, but I'd like to see some damage actually caused by one. I've been using them for Lego since 1996 and for action figures since 2001 or 2002. Like I said in the previous post, the only thing that happens is that they get brittle and tear easy by accessories. I have yet to see any actual damage. Until something is provable, I'm not going to waste my time on archival bags.

Although that is the one thing I find handy about the Transformers lines now. With places to put accessories, you just need something to prevent them from scratching up the paint job on other TFs. No need for storage bags.

It's not really a debate, it's been proven. The plastics eat away at each other is what i remember. From research I did before LEGO is made from different type of plastic then your average action figure so Ziplocs are fine. A good option is to wrap your figure in tissue or newspaper if you are putting them in regular bags.

Sorry trying to find the articles I read a couple years ago but can't find them.

I bought my bags form 3.75 and 6inch figures here. clearbags.ca (although it doesn't look like the site is working atm) 0.05-0.10 per bag. Buy in bulk for a better discount.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:57 AM   #13
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:

If you have something made of plastic that gets brittle and breaks apart, you can be sure that I wouldn't let that sort of thing close to any of my figures in storage.

I've wrapped my figures is paper towels, bubble wrap or foam sheets without any incident or any degradation after decades, my worse scenario is after going through my collection every-so-often, the paper does end up needing replacing due to manipulation and just not being very solid to start with, especially with items that have sharp/pointy parts.

I'd never use anything that I'd see any signs of degradation as it's a certainty that it can have an effect on anything that it's in contact with. You might not see it, but it's happening and by the time you'd see it, it would be too late.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #14
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here

Hmm... kinda glad I read this seeing as many of the accessories that came with my MP's are each in labeled, individual, ziplock bags............. Glad they haven't been in them for very long.
Darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #15
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pran View Post
The other more controversial suggestion would be to sell some of it. Try to keep the items you love most on display. If it's not awesome enough to display, perhaps it's not awesome enough to keep. You'll find that after collecting for MANY years, sometimes the collection just gets too big to keep control of, and the fun somehow become more of a burden. Just a thought.
+1. There is such a thing as "too much". Having a larger number of figures decreases my appreciation for each one, I find. Personally, I've always felt that, if someone has more figures (or stuff of any kind) than they have room for, they may want to adjust their priorities. Because at a certain point, collecting does just become hoarding. If you have rooms in your home you can't enter cause they're stacked to the ceiling with stuff, you may have a problem.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:05 AM   #16
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here

And by problem... you must mean that you obviously need to get a bigger place?
Darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #17
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
And by problem... you must mean that you obviously need to get a bigger place?
Absolutely!

imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:05 AM   #18
Robbler
Machine War

Appreciate all the advice, my dudes.

I'm not at hoarder status...yet. I don't have a large collection and I have considered selling but it's a lot of common stuff that likely isn't worth the effort of selling.
Robbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #19
protoform_ironhide
Commander

Quote:
The only thing I can say with this method, from experience is to check on them every 2 to 3 years. I've found that the ziplock bags, regardless of brand I've bought becomes brittle and eventually tears.
I never have that happen over 10 years.
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #20
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

As others have stated, getting rid of some of your collection is usually your best bet when space begins to become an issue. Just go through your collection and sort out what you really can't part with it versus stuff that you don't care for.

Storage bins usefully work for me. I don't use bubble wrap or ziploc's since I keep almost all my figures in their original packaging (even after I open them).
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote