Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2016, 01:17 AM   #11
Pascal
Banned
Re: NES classic edition worth it?

Apparently, TRU got 12 and EB 21 (maybe a typo, could be 12 as well).
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Sigh.....I only realized they went on sale yesterday at noon. By the time I found out and went out hunting for them, they were long gone. Distribution seemed to be higher out here compared to the quantities some of you have been saying. One Walmart told me they got about 24 in, Best Buy said about 30, TRU about 20 as well.

In terms of re-stock, I got answers all over the calendar. One Walmart said it could be as early as next week, TRU said up to a month later.

I've heard numerous criticisms about the short cord lengths, but that's nothing a longer HDMI cable won't fix. And as for longer controller cables, the Wii Classic controllers are compatible with this mini console (not the actual wireless remote, but the traditional controller Nintendo made for the Wii with the D-pad, analog sticks, 6 buttons, etc.).

I also read the visual detail is better than the virtual console that Nintendo was offering through the Wii. Runs smoothly, crisp audio. Should be a good experience. So although I don't have it yet, from what I hear, it should be a worthy experience.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:19 PM   #13
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

I think its worth it for the novelty alone, but I'm in no rush to get one. Though, I did try to look for one yesterday, but I was too late.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #14
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
Sigh.....I only realized they went on sale yesterday at noon. By the time I found out and went out hunting for them, they were long gone. Distribution seemed to be higher out here compared to the quantities some of you have been saying. One Walmart told me they got about 24 in, Best Buy said about 30, TRU about 20 as well.

In terms of re-stock, I got answers all over the calendar. One Walmart said it could be as early as next week, TRU said up to a month later.

I've heard numerous criticisms about the short cord lengths, but that's nothing a longer HDMI cable won't fix. And as for longer controller cables, the Wii Classic controllers are compatible with this mini console (not the actual wireless remote, but the traditional controller Nintendo made for the Wii with the D-pad, analog sticks, 6 buttons, etc.).

I also read the visual detail is better than the virtual console that Nintendo was offering through the Wii. Runs smoothly, crisp audio. Should be a good experience. So although I don't have it yet, from what I hear, it should be a worthy experience.
Yah I would say what you read is correct, from my experience with it the last two days. We've been playing it non-stop. No freezing, sound is very clear, video very crisp (as an 8bit can be).

My favorite aspect is the small footprint and portability. I have a 2 and 4 year old that would love to use it as a soccer ball I'm sure. When I'm done with it, just unplug and store out of reach. Plug back in when ready for more fun. The single HDMI cable makes the transition so easy plus the absence of cartridges

The long HDMI cable will only get you so far though. The console literally needs to be right next to you which is a problem if you are doing two player like Double Dragon. I need my elbow room

I don't want to use the classic Wii remotes, cause I want the authentic NES controller experience. Anyways, I ordered two 6ft extension cables from fleebay. Came to something like $6 shipped. I'll put up with it for a month.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #15
MULTIPLEX

For those that are interested. I saw this book in GameStop yesterday. It's a hardcover book in an embossed slip cover that was released on Friday. It's getting terrible reviews by the hardcore Nintendo fans but from what I read, if you are just after some basic info with maps and level diagrams it serves it's purpose. There is also a soft cover version at half the price. I just ordered that one from Chapters. My daughter wants to read up on some of the games and some strategies. I could use a refresher too

Old 11-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #16
BlackZarak
Robot in Disguise
BlackZarak's Ebay Auctions

Got it delivered from amazon.ca yesterday for $35 shipped. It's OK, but definitely not worth the cover price ($57) and even the $35 I paid is questionable. Majority of the content is ripped straight from various issues of Nintendo Power magazine or from the backs of the NES game boxes. Some of the information taken is incomplete so it can be disjointed in it's presentation. For instance, the Zelda section specifically refers to an illustrated Overworld map, but they don't actually include it. It's odd.
BlackZarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #17
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Honestly, just get a Raspberry Pi.

They cost roughly the same price and Emulation Station does way more than the NES Classic Edition.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #18
joelones
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Knight View Post
Honestly, just get a Raspberry Pi.

They cost roughly the same price and Emulation Station does way more than the NES Classic Edition.
+1

Not to mention that you can do more than simply run a game emulator with the Raspberry Pi. I've got kodi running on top of RetroPie.
joelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #19
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

There are some conditions that will determine if this is worth it for you or not.

1. Are you willing to put in a little more effort to build something yourself?
Then the answer is no because if you put in only a slight amount of time and research, you can easily build the same unit yourself out of a Raspberry Pi computer with an emulator and have thousands of games instead of 30.

2. Are you willing to spend a little more money to get something better quality?
Then the answer is no, retrousb.com just released their AVS a month ago for $185. It doesn't have any built in games but it does play any NES / Famicom cartridge and is also HDMI out but uses original NES controllers.

3. Are you not willing to spend more money and also not willing to put any extra time / effort into it at all?
Then yes, this is for you. It has 30 very good games included and you simply plug and play. Very simple and fun.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:21 PM   #20
MULTIPLEX

I'm interested in this Raspberry Pie but have no clue where to begin. Is there a resource for complete newbs? I am willing to put in some effort as long as the end point is worth it. But I don't even know what it's capable of doing. What's in it for me besides Kodi which I don't care about. So it plays games but what kind of games can I play on it? Is there a list? Where do I get them? These are the types of questions I have.

Newb out