Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #61
python
Alternator
Re: The Scalper Annoyance Thread

To be clear - I was thinking about dog poop or fish heads - not anthrax or pipe bombs
python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #62
sarmick01
Canadian Slag

For crying out loud.....let it be. They are what they are. No need to send them nasty stuff. Like others have said......most of the empty shelves are from US who go running when something is sighted.
sarmick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #63
elburrito
Animated

Along these lines, I can think of no higher gesture of contempt than to mail a person a fish, preferably a bottom-feeding fish, and sent in some manner that takes about a week to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by python View Post
You know, you COULD order one from him, and then you'd have his return address and could send him all manner of things in the mail to show your true feelings of displeasure.

Not that I'm condoning such action, but if you really want to mess with him, and I get the sense some of you really do...

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #64
RageD
Energon

I love the use of opinions to determine Right or Wrong in this thread. Highly Entertaining.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #65
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordjuse View Post

50/50 split on your answer.

Beginning comment about waiting is the better scenario about Soundwave MP.

Latter part of comment is wrong.

Original Grimlock TRU Exclusive STILL commands good prices. Window box package with all paint applications.

2nd TRU Exclusive release cardboard box with missing paint and lower quality plastic.

BTW, I have BOTH TRU versions.
Not true. The beauty with Transformers, Hasbro/Takara and the fan supply/demand is it all ranges.

You can invest in a shit ton of MP Sideswipes due to Hasbro not intending to bring one over, plan to make a cool 20 bucks each on them from upselling 60 bucks cost to 80 bucks sold........ and then a bunch of high end bootlegs come out for 40 bucks. Now not EVERY fan wants the bootleg, but a lot of people take a cheaper route when it's there and if the quality is not too apparent. There goes a percentage of your market and then OH SHIT Hasbro IS releasing it...... $49.99, there goes that market too........... wait what? Takara 2nd release? cheaper now and with new Backpack?........ well fuck me. (All an example of what can happen)

Grimlock (which you brag about owning both TRU versions when they was 6 different releases of the mold) was an example of when he first was release via Takara, he was $220 (According to InternetArchive.org and BBTS circa 2008). His TRU Hasbro version came out and was scalped to murder (and had little to no release in Canada), his Ehobby Comic version was also equally expensive. From 2009 till 2013, Grimlock's commanded $400-$600 bucks on the secondary market due to his high tier nature as a character, those Bay movies during that time really making money and taking off and most of all........ eager fans willing to pay.

Then the MP Grimlock Takara release came out, BBTS retail. $200 even (cheaper then before) and came with MORE then the original Takara first release (Flaming sword, crowd from the Ehobby release and a coin in some HK markets too).

Waiting payed off. And it still does.

Wheeljack came out, saw him at BBTS for 79.99 plus shipping (So let's say $95 shipped), saw him at $75 EVEN at Action Figure Expo at Toronto and I know I will find him come Botcon 2015, the toy already cold in the minds of many for $65 no problem (Like I do with most of my MP buys)

There is always an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordjuse View Post
The moral of story is if you are not there FIRST then YOU LOSE.
Say that to anyone who bought Movie toys.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman

Last edited by Protoman; 10-17-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #66
Slayback
Animated

I guess given my general apathy towards the movie line figures - i dont really know what the fuss is about. What figures are being scalped? if you're talking about generation figures - i see them at shows for $20 a piece. They're not Canadian released figures -so its from Stateside so there goes those figures. MPs? TRUs.com ... or the other online companies that sell - or the local retailers who sell... or some boardie here. If you're not paying for the scalpers then you're not being totally affected by their purchases. You have other good options.

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:33 AM   #67
steamwhistle
Crossover

This thread seems to be a nice place to vent.

Really, I'm not sure what anyone can effectively, and legally, do to prevent the practice of scalping.

The issue of scalping might have to do with locale... or the persistence of the scalpers. Connections too, maybe?

It's not unlike when Nintendo, or Sony release their latest gaming system. Scalping will happen. Same with sports tickets and concert tickets. Annoying? Definitely.

I suppose, with Transformers, I've been fortunate that I don't think I'm in an area where scalpers are extremely dedicated to acquiring items. I actually saw all 4 MP Soundwaves in my local TRU. I bought one, hid one (and posted about it here), and left one on the shelf. Within the next few days, I went to the store and saw another one being stored on a high shelf, barely visible. I likely only noticed it because I knew what the packaging looked like.

That being said, I also never saw MP Acid Storm at St. Catharines TRU.

I also remember that the original MP Grimlock and MP Rodimus were shelfwarming way back when. I bit on Grimlock after a few weeks. I disliked the Rodimus character, so, regrettably now, I didn't pick him up. And, Rodimus was there for quite a while. Erk! I wish I bought him -- I just couldn't bring myself to spend $80 on a character I disliked. I also had no idea as to what Masterpiece Transformers were about. I kept Grimlock MISB until about a year or so ago!

As for the $30 Walmart Jetfires reported in a Niagara Falls WalMart... I acquired 2, after someone reported seeing a dozen... A few days later, someone reported that they were all out. I have checked St. Catharines WalMarts and have never seen a trace (shelf price sticker) of one having ever appeared.

I have never seen a scalper myself -- my definition being someone who buys 3 copies or more of an identical item. However, I have noticed ridiculously empty shelves soonafter the start a major sale, such as $20 items on sale for $10. Someone must be buying in bulk, and quickly. Personally, I find it hard to believe that "scalpers" would go after such small profit-margin items. So, they can sell them for $15 plus shipping? That is a lot of legwork to make $5 per item. Maybe they would if they sell at shows, and conventions, or the like... But, really, anyone who truly wanted the item in the first place would have bought it for $20 before the sale.

It's a tough situation... I do think TRU is improving with their offer of pre-orders for specific items (mainly MPs). MP10 was ridiculous. Soundwave was rough... New Grimlock, Prowl, and Sunstorm have been available onLine somewhat readily. Well, except for those in Quebec.

For me, going forward, I think I will be ordering Takara MPs, as they are released, from one of this site's sponsors. As Slayback said, there are other good options. That's one that will work for me, for what I want in my collection.

Really, the only way to fight a scalper, and win, is to not spend more than what you feel is reasonable for the item -- and this would extend through e-bay, kijiji, shows, conventions, etc... Part of the problem is that people overvalue a "want" item to the point of treating it as a "need" item.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #68
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pside9 View Post
@Buhawi The best thing we can do is ID the scalpers and make sure all of us collectors are aware of these ones and boycott them...although it can be very hard if they have a figure we just must have. Thats why they're still around I guess...they eventually find the buyers.
This is what Robimus' post is about. Can't point fingers.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #69
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

I've never been a scalper, but man was I tempted to start while staring at ten $15 Leader Jetfires on a WalMart endcap a couple weeks ago.

(my WalMart priced them at $15 for no explicable reason)
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #70
elburrito
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
I've never been a scalper, but man was I tempted to start while staring at ten $15 Leader Jetfires on a WalMart endcap a couple weeks ago.

(my WalMart priced them at $15 for no explicable reason)
If something like that happens and you bought them all and sold them for $30 ea. it would still be 1/2 the TRU price. I wouldn't have any issue with that.

Also, not all scalpers are bad. Show up 20 mins before a sold out concert and (assuming the reserves are gone) there is usually someone who will sell great seats at a premium.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote