Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-18-2016, 12:07 AM   #1
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy
Collecting comics

Lately, I was re-thinking of my collection. Since it's official that I am going back to school in the winter, meaning I would be a full time student and working part time (25 hours max), that collecting CHUG / Titans Return would seem impossible cause of the salary I would be getting, won't be much. So therefore, I am thinking of going the comic book route, and get the comics. I am a little disappointed that I won't be able to achieve my goal .

Has anybody went to school and collecting TF toys while still leaving alone? Any suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2016, 12:57 AM   #2
TRUCKvsGUN
Re: Collecting comics

I used to actively collect the comics as well, and I did so as a student.

Comics are cheaper than toys, but you read them once, slip them into a baggie, then put the baggie in a box with all the others, where they stay out of sight and out of mind, unenjoyed. Comics are a nice compliment to a transformers collection, but they aren't a cost-effective alternative.

When my pocket was emptiest, I focused my collection on Deluxe class toys, they tend to have very satisfying transformations for their low price-point.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:29 AM   #3
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I buy little stands at Dollarama to display some comics with the rest of my collection.

I've got some that have been signed by almost every creative listed on the cover - Furman, Wildman, Perez, Milne, Raiz, Roberts, so on. So I like to show those ones off.

Sometimes I just like to display classic covers I love like Marvel #5

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:18 AM   #4
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Depending on how you collect, comics aren't the cheapest thing to collect either. Four comics costs as much as one deluxe. And the resale value generally isn't as good as TFs.

When I was going to school I pretty much stopped collecting stuff. Money was tight, but I still bought a few odds and ends that caught my eye when I had the time to stop by a toy store. I found I didn't have the time to collect. School was the priority.

I had to pass up on stuff like $75 MP-01 and the reissues of the G1 toys.

But when I got back into collecting TFs, I really didn't miss that stuff. There was so many new things to focus on. The stuff I really did want, I tracked down eventually.

There will always be stuff to buy, and a lot of times it's better than the old stuff. SO IMHO, while going to school, pick up stuff as money will allow, but otherwise focus on school.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

If you can afford to collect more comics, you may still be able to buy toys. Just buy during sales. Screw the comics and just get them free online.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
tusko
Classic

Focus on school.
When that's done, you can find anything you missed in the future on boards like this, or at a convention.
Invest in yourself first, focus on that accomplishment and then play catch up with the hobbies.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

When I was in university I collected Marvel TF comics instead of figures. I will get one very occasionally. I don't have the mean or space at the time anyway. Looking back I don't missed much because you can fairly easily get your "childhood" back a few years down the road nowadays unless you are after some very rare pieces.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:50 AM   #8
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

Once I finish school, I would be almost 37 years old. Which means, I would be too old for CHUGs.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwave View Post
Once I finish school, I would be almost 37 years old. Which means, I would be too old for CHUGs.
Why? The "CHUG's" (and the latest "Legends" line from Japan) is also targeted to older collectors.

Well, there are still MP's and 3rd parties.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #10
MahtimusPrime09
Shut up, Rattrap
MahtimusPrime09's Ebay Auctions

I agree with Sun Swipe Prime and Tusko. Collect as much as money would allow, and there's nothing wrong with playing catch-up.

It's just like catching up on a tv show. If you are caught up, you have to wait for the next issue to come out, not that that is a bad thing. If you are behind, you get to pick up a bundle at a time, as you hunt for the remaining comics you are missing.

My Sales Thread
My Want List
My Collection
My Feedback Page

Last edited by MahtimusPrime09; 07-25-2016 at 03:34 PM.
MahtimusPrime09 is offline   Reply With Quote