Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #11
Ned1701
Armada
Ned1701's Ebay Auctions
Re: Iron Man 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
It wasn't bad at all, but I do question how they handled the Mandarin. Why bother pulling an iconic villain into a movie if he is only going to be a decoy? It would be like if Red Skull was mask, or the joker was a guy in make up. This is the third movie in a series about a guy who has built himself multiple super suits and fought aliens side by side with a Green Monster and a God from another planet. I think the general movie audience can get behind a dude with magic rings... Not sure if that counts as fanboy butt hurt, but I don't really care. I don't even really love the Ironman character, it just seems a bit odd.
Ned1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions

The movie wasn't bad, going back to my statement about it being the worst of the 3... but out of the 3... it was the worst. Funny that I'd feel different if they didn't even mention The Mandarin at all, and just kept Killian as the main villain from the beginning... The misuse of Mandarin is comparable to the misuse of Venom in Spiderman 3, and Deadpool in X-Men origins Wolverine...
chovner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

I won't say it was bad, but it definetly wasn't very good.

I felt that this film just really did not respect it's source material or its previous installments. The handling of Mandarin, which would seem like a fun twist to someone who has no roots in the greater story, comes across as a kick in the nuts to the core audience. It would be as if the Green Goblin were an actor hired by Mysterio to vex Spider-Man, or if the Joker was just a puppet of the Penquin.

Even that aside, there are just so many "WTF" issues with the film that kept pulling at me. The Iron Patriot, for example, seemed to only function when it needed to for the story. Rhodes couldn't use his weapons when he was captured, but Killian got to step into the suit and use it no problem. The President couldn't use the suit at all, but Rhodes could fire the hand blaster by just touching it.

Suits fall apart when hit too hard. They run out of power even though Tony has an arc reactor in his chest. All of the information on AIM is just one convenient computer hack away. Why was that annoying kid not an important Marvel character.

A lot of gripes, but it was still a decent mindless movie. Not ROTF bad, but, IMO, Dark Knight Rises kind if awkward.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

See, now I view things a little bit differently, the film was pretty good really, the suits falling apart thing...

Ok, first of all there was nobody in the damn things during the final battle, and the Extremis people appear to be fairly strong, capable of tearing them open and such.

The thing with Tony, I see his problems with the Mark 42 as being connected to his anxiety attacks, not necessarily a power problem, also it was a prototype and unfinished/unpolished when everything went down.

As for The Mandarin, there is something very puzzling about that too. I mean I half figured that he wasn't who he pretended to be when they started showing scenes with him and Killian working together. There was just something off about him, and then when the dude made that line about the plastic surgery I was half expecting the end credits scene to be this big reveal that the real Mandarin was using both Killian and this actor as some sort of blind/decoy. It didn't happen, but that one throwaway line seemed to me to be somehow connected to some hidden plot elements that may have been left on the cutting room floor.

As for the pacing of the film, I didn't think it was too bad, sure some of the stuff happens a little fast maybe, but then again would you rather be sitting there getting tons of exposition and useless tripe or would you rather see more action? Dark Knight Rises was a long film with a few pacing issues in my mind, this... This was nothing compared to that.

I guess I could be a little bit more dissapointed that The Mandarin wasn't this big all-powerful villain with ten magic rings, but... Well weren't they just alien devices he'd found and turned into rings? Honestly I still feel there's something of a set up there for a true Mandarin in the next sequel, considering all of those comments by Killian and his 'father' and that. Perhaps he's actually the Mandarin's son.

My one question is this though, if Tony fixed Extremis and it allowed them to perform the heart surgery, does that mean he and Pepper can become super strong whenever they want? Or will it be this cheap retcon where you can just take it out of the system once it's in there, because I don't think that's how Extremis works.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Great movie!

Would have been a 6 out 5 stars for me if Gwyneth Paltrow died right away like she did in "Contagion" .

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by transforminator View Post
Some gripes I had:

Pacing was too fast
Overdoing the comedy
The moment you realize that Killian is doing all this because Tony didnt meet him on the roof in 1999
Suits falling apart in every badass scene
Various other plotholes

It was a fun film, but fell flat on a lot of levels particularly since the marketing of this film suggested that the Mandarin would be villian of the year.

On another note, I really do appreciate the way they focused a lot more on Tony in this film. Getting to see his detective side and engineering abilities in the home invasion sequence was awesome!
I feel a lot of the same ways. It was okay but felt really empty/hollow. Didn't engage me very well. Fine with Mandarin twist, it was clever, but you're bang-on with Killian. I never really got what his endgame was, or his exact motivations other than "bad guy." The movie felt like it had no stakes. I dunno. It felt like a bunch of stuff. And the suits seeming way depowered was weird, too.

RDJ was still gold, it wasn't a bad movie, but I won't be rushing out to see it again or buy it.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
Pascal
Banned

Better than Iron Man 2, that's for sure. Better final battle than Iron Man 1 too (not that hard to beat). The humor was great.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

What do you guys think of the post credit scene? Nice scene with a funny Dr. Banner.

Also in James Bond fashion, it shows "Tony Stark will return". I believe the pre-Avengers movies said "Iron Man will return in The Avengers" Does it mean anything?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
Pascal
Banned

Yeah, that was a fun (but ultimately useless, unlike the other post-credit scenes) scene. I was hoping a hint for the new Thor movie or something.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #20
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

I just got my copy of The Art of Iron Man 3. Really awesome art book similar to all other Marvel Studios art books. It shows you more than what you see in the movie. Design of all suits Stark made since the Mark 7 suit in The Avengers. That's mark 8 all the way the mark 42. Some are seen more visibly in the movie's final battle. One of them looks like Frenzy/Rumble with "pile drivers".

Last edited by Darth Cylon; 05-07-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ironman, marvel, movie