Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3
Questions for the Smartphone users.

What are you using and what do you think of it? I'm thinking of venturing into the wonderful world of the Blackberry, but would like some insight from others out there.

I've read mixed reviews of the Blackberry Storm (which is what I am narrowing in on).

So what do you use?

EDIT: Also, who is your carrier and what kind of a plan are you on?

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Tech Spec
Canadian Slag
Re: Questions for the Smartphone users.

Blackberry Curve 8310

I added a $25 Data Plan - 500mb (for e-mail, internet, IM) and unlimited text, video, & picture messaging.

Only use about 20mb a month, sometimes 50mb depending if I am really bored and start surfing youtube

Blackberry's in general are cool phones you can customize/personalize these babies from the inside out. When you get your BB, be sure to check out www.crackberry.com for themes, apps, ring tones, wall papers. Also check out www.zedge.net for a huge selection of ring tones and wallpapers.

I love my friggin phone, so easy to use, internet works great, BB messenger rocks, can't wait to upgrade to a different BB model

Have you tried the BB Storm? what do you think of it?

Last edited by Tech Spec; 04-10-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Tech Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
BadJeff
Bite my shiny metal ass!

I've been out of the market on phones for months so my recommendations would be out dated. Do love my LG Voyager through bell though. Has big external touch screen with vibration response as well as full size internal screen(when flipped open). QWERTY keyboard is the most user friendly too imo
Can't go wrong with the crackberries too... especially for managing big contact lists and non stop emailing.

***edit** Oh yeah, best part is that it does NOT run windows mobile. Never freezes up, boots up fast and responds to inputs pdq.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
bluefrenzy
Generation 2

I'm waiting for the Palm PRE ... it's like a super iPhone. Touch screen plus pull out keyboard. Has pretty much all the functionality of iPhone plus more (like the ability to task switch as per regular computer). I think the craziest thing is the charger ... apparently it's works on magnetic induction so you don't need a charger ... just stick it onto the magnetic platform and that's it. But it'll probably be forever before it comes to Canada (look what happened with iPhone).
bluefrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
CrackerBoy
Machine War

My wife has a storm and hates it. Within the first 6 weeks she returned it twice (she's on her 3rd storm). The screen broke (would not click in the corn) and the second one developed a line running across the screen. The one she has now doesn't always pick up calls and some times you can't make out what she's saying when she's talking to you...it's all static.

She's with Bell and they won't let replace her storm with a curve because she's had more then 15min talk time...even when she got the 3rd one...brand new not even out of the box, they wouldn't down grade and refund the difference. If you check out the better business bureau Bell has the worst grade any company can get.

DON'T GET A STORM
DON'T GO WITH BELL
CrackerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBoy View Post
DON'T GET A STORM
DON'T GO WITH BELL
After reading the good and the bad, I half listened to this advice.

I'm with Telus, and despite their flaws they have pretty decent service. I wouldn't touch Bell with a 10 foot pole. I've heard way too many bad stories from people who have had their service.

I jumped on the Storm bandwagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Spec View Post
Have you tried the BB Storm? what do you think of it?
I LOVE this little thing. Once I tweaked the settings on the screen, it was not that bad to get used to. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the Blackberry, but loving it so far.

The only crappy thing was they would not let me switch my voice plan over to the Blackberry, so new cell phone number for me (the wife gets the old one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefrenzy View Post
I'm waiting for the Palm PRE
I had no idea Palm was still around.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
bluefrenzy
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
I had no idea Palm was still around.
Ha ha ... they're basically putting all their chips into this one.
bluefrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
onecoin
Banned

I heard the new software on the Storm really improves it.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Prime Monkey
Generation 1

My friend has a Storm so I was able to try it out. It's a decent touch screen phone for Blackberry's first attempt, but I find that there's a bit of lag with it. The new clicking screen thing is a bit annoying too, and takes a bit to get used to. I would wait for gen2 of the Storm.

Smartphones using windows mobile are nice too but not as easy to navigate as the blackberry. I personally prefer and would recommend the Blackberry Bold and Curve.
Prime Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

My exposure to smart phone is pretty limited but the month that I spent w/ a Sony Xperia X1i is problem-free. I would think the HTC Touch Pro/Diamond should not be too far off since HTC make the X1 for Sony.

My wife has the original Pearl and now the Pearl Flip. She loves it esp for the push email service. She has become a crackberry addict...

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 04-13-2009 at 09:32 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote