Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
Soundwaves
Robot Master
TF Prices and Michael Bay

Seems like tf sales are slowing down.

I think the re invigoration that came from baysformers is starting to dwindle.

I don't think kids growing up are going to have the same affinity for the new transformers as us children of the 80's did.

The best performing movie out of the 3 terrible new ones had the worst toy sales and left a bad taste in a lot of major retailers mouths.

Hasbro had their kick at the can and it turned out to be more of a soft toe nudge.

It seems like while there hasn't been a huge drop in prices for tf's outside of the bayverse, nothing is moving fast.

I see so many items posted over and over again where sellers are looking for the premium they've gotten accustomed to.

I think we're seeing the end of the top of the market for tf's.

I know a lot of the classics stuff that I bought after market for example I could never sell for what I paid

i think this is a good thing and am looking forward to the bottom.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
CAF
Banned
Re: TF Prices and Michael Bay

This is why we all must go to our favorite local comic shop or ma and pa equivalent and tell them what we want to see on the shelves.

I told my local shop I want Masterpiece, 3rd party stuff and Black Series 6" Star Wars. Cause that's what I collect now. And the Marvel Select, but he already carries that line and I get them all from him. So he at least knows I'm serious.

And on the topic of Michael Bay TF, I just put Age Of Extinction on yesterday and ended up stabbing my eyes out with a fork in my mind because it's so bad.

Optimus Prime acting like a murderous revengeaholic? WHAAAAAAAT? I almost wish Peter Cullen had refused that gig.

A smoking Autobot? Taking drags off a lit bullet? That's rediculous. A recycled plot 4 movies in a row? I want to just hang my head and cry.

Last edited by CAF; 08-21-2015 at 08:44 PM.
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

I'm happy to see it, I've noticed it in the Generation 1 figures as well. I collect them and the value of my collection has plummeted but I was never in it for the money so it's nice to see it more affordable for collectors. I've noticed many people are dumping their older collections for the new Masterpiece and third party figures.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
TRUCKvsGUN

People shouldn't watch a movie based on a thirty year old cartoon that was made to sell toys with high expectations. Furthermore, its an action movie; if you saw any action in it, then it succeeded. Maybe you guys go watch action movies for their plot, but the rest of the world doesn't... you might notice that every action movie *ever* recycled what little plot it had for its sequels. Jurassic Park, anyone? Terminator?

As for the people expecting others to pay a premium for their used toys, that's intrinsic to every hobby, whether its cars, coins, anything.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
CAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapmaker View Post
People shouldn't watch a movie based on a thirty year old cartoon that was made to sell toys with high expectations. Furthermore, its an action movie; if you saw any action in it, then it succeeded. Maybe you guys go watch action movies for their plot, but the rest of the world doesn't... you might notice that every action movie *ever* recycled what little plot it had for its sequels. Jurassic Park, anyone? Terminator?

As for the people expecting others to pay a premium for their used toys, that's intrinsic to every hobby, whether its cars, coins, anything.
I disagree. I fully expect a way higher standard of production and design when it comes to franchising something as iconic as the Transformers. (But it does leave the door WIIIIIDE open for a re-do)
The same way I fully expect JJ to do a good job with Episode 7.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwaves View Post
Seems like tf sales are slowing down.

I think the re invigoration that came from baysformers is starting to dwindle.

It seems like while there hasn't been a huge drop in prices for tf's outside of the bayverse, nothing is moving fast.

I see so many items posted over and over again where sellers are looking for the premium they've gotten accustomed to.

I think we're seeing the end of the top of the market for tf's.

I know a lot of the classics stuff that I bought after market for example I could never sell for what I paid
It was going to happen eventually. Fortunately, I collect because I enjoy it. Hopefully people weren't looking at these toys as a long term investment.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron75 View Post
It was going to happen eventually. Fortunately, I collect because I enjoy it. Hopefully people weren't looking at these toys as a long term investment.
^^ Agree with this 100%.

If you want a long term investment strategy, buy gold. Toys are meant to be played with, displayed, and enjoyed.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
fishtifer
Machine War

I was able to sell 17 loose Generations/Classics Tf's as a lot on Ebay for $180 US ($210 Can) last month. There were multiple bids and I was surprised anybody was interested. I had a few gems in there like the Reveal the Shield Windcharger, a KO Ghost Starscream, Henkei Prowl, etc.

Then I sold 10 legends figures for $30US. I'm currently passing on the Combiner Wars series (except the G1 Megatron and Ultra Magnus), if this series came out a few years ago I would have bought it all up, but I'm slowly learning that the new toys don't have the charm, character or value as the vintage. I'm so glad I didn't buy a single movie toy, I hear of local collectors having a hard time getting rid of their movie TF's.

Currently I'm focusing on vintage and 6" Black Series Star Wars. I pretty much got what I wanted for G1, and I'm on the fence about the Combiner Wars Devastator - will I still like it in a year or two or want to get rid of it because it takes up too much room and I'd rather find a G1 Devastator?
fishtifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

People dump the old hotness for the new hotness. Classics made Alternators cheap, then MP made Classics cheap.

Right now CHUG is cheap because so many people are getting rid of their whole CHUG collection while most of us who aren't still aren't buying simply because we already have them.

Even old MP gets dumped for newer MP: MP10 brought MP01 prices way down. Apollyon brought MP-05 prices down.

And heck, just today on TFW I read someone say Takara MP has failed and is over and now we're entering the age of FanToys MP, so maybe Takara MP gets cheap now?

... Ok somehow I doubt that last one a bit.

Last edited by Goaliebot; 08-22-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:08 AM   #10
CAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
I was able to sell 17 loose Generations/Classics Tf's as a lot on Ebay for $180 US ($210 Can) last month. There were multiple bids and I was surprised anybody was interested. I had a few gems in there like the Reveal the Shield Windcharger, a KO Ghost Starscream, Henkei Prowl, etc.

Then I sold 10 legends figures for $30US. I'm currently passing on the Combiner Wars series (except the G1 Megatron and Ultra Magnus), if this series came out a few years ago I would have bought it all up, but I'm slowly learning that the new toys don't have the charm, character or value as the vintage. I'm so glad I didn't buy a single movie toy, I hear of local collectors having a hard time getting rid of their movie TF's.

Currently I'm focusing on vintage and 6" Black Series Star Wars. I pretty much got what I wanted for G1, and I'm on the fence about the Combiner Wars Devastator - will I still like it in a year or two or want to get rid of it because it takes up too much room and I'd rather find a G1 Devastator?
Interested in a Six Changer Sixshot? No weapons but in pretty decent shape? CW Devy- In hand it is absolutely awesome. I will never get rid of mine. It's a permanent fixture.