Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #51
Ransak The Elder
Beasty
Re: Boardie Question - At what point are you a scalper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnaw View Post
He's just a store that marks up his items. I don't think he purposely goes around trying to cut supplies?

Its a collectible store, they knows what they are doing and they are botting to purchase.
Ransak The Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #52
DuG
Titanium

Quote:
In my view NO. RNSRobot would probably say suck balls cause you screwed him out of a DEAL... Reading his replies I feel he gets mad cause he doesn't get the DEAL instead of the item that was peg warming for 6 months and was on sale numerous times throughout but oh he gets mad cause a 70% sale hits and he cant find anything. WHich is why I feel there is a difference with the Original Posters question about the Pit of Judgment. THe Pit isn't released at retail and was bought out by someone apparently even though it stated 1 per customer. So I don't know how he got more than 1.

He's just a store that marks up his items. I don't think he purposely goes around trying to cut supplies?
The individual was able to get one from Pulse and another from EB.
DuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #53
Msol
Titanium

Quote:
So to my understanding of the above replies to my fake example, the point where one is a scalper is basically this

(You cleaned out the shelves for anybody else in the area for the express purpose of selling at a premium.) and there's no difference if the item was shelf warming for 6 months and then a sale hits and people get pissed because they are not able to get THE DEAL (I say deal and not item because they had the chance for 6 months). There is no difference (as in the OPs first post) if the Pit of Judgement is new and exclusive and 1 person buys it all and then marks it up? Am I missing something? I personally feel there is a difference between both examples but again i'm only asking you guys to lay it out there for my understanding. (I in no way since collecting transformers do this method of buying for those who haven't read the whole thread.)

In your example... what value did you create?
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:56 PM   #54
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuG View Post
I
I recently did this when I was on a road trip and found plenty of a hard to find item so I sent out a message on a Discord server that I am on (Transmissions) and ended up picking up a bunch of stuff for my nephew and other collectors and only charged them the retail price plus actual shipping that was rounded

Make relationships with fellow collectors and look out for each other. Try to come up with solutions to problems in the fandom. If there is a preorder coming up and it is a limited item, order an extra one and sell it to another collector at cost that you have such a relationship with or post it for sale at cost, I have seen that done on these boards with the Pit of Judgement.

Just a hypothetical question to end this post.

Am I in the wrong if I were to clear out a store of an item on sale only to donate them all to a local toy drive as it is screwing others out of fairly obtaining some sale items?
I would love it if more collectors had that kind of spirit. Thinking of others, not themselves. Be it helping out fellow fans in the way you have described, and I have done many times; or doing something generous like donating to a toy drive. My heart would be full.

We do see many people on cybertron.ca who have a good spirit. Sales threads that are fairly priced. People who are posting links or "in stock" notices on the various sightings threads, which help others. Sightings in general.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"

Last edited by RNSrobot; 10-17-2020 at 03:00 PM.
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #55
ngnaw
Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msol View Post
In your example... what value did you create?
In my hypothetical example if I sold Astrotrain for $45 (a 44% discount from the retail price after taxes) I would post it for sale and possibly drop it off to a member as not everyone is able to drive around and get the product at said location. So to make $13 on it some people would like that and others wouldn't waste their time. I'm a cheap skate and always buy my figures on sale and I wouldn't do this as it's not worth my time... Some people do this and I wouldn't see anything wrong with it, i'm talking about just my example here as I don;t really see it as scalping. It would be scalping if the price was over the $69.99 retail price in my view... Not at $45 which is still 44% below retail but just not as good a deal as the $27.97 price... But hey they got there first and decided to buy them all, why should I crap on them... You;re just pissed cause you didn't get the clearance price... If you really wanted them item you had 6 months prior and multiple other 20% sales to get him. So that's why I say there is a difference in both examples

And also with my shopkins example, I made the item available to Americans as they were not able to get it shipped directly from Canada and it was already sold out in USA. SO putting it on ebay at auction they were able to bid on the items... So there's value in that and they were happy customers willing to pay the high auction price... So that's not scalping see the difference.

Last edited by ngnaw; 10-17-2020 at 04:30 PM.
ngnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:33 PM   #56
Msol
Titanium

How is posting it for sale creation of value? It was already on sale for $31 taxes-in at TRU. As for delivery? That doesn’t mean much to the person who already drove to TRU and found an empty shelf.

Again, what positive do your actions contribute in this example?

TRU for $31 or you for $45.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:41 PM   #57
ngnaw
Armada

Quote:
How is posting it for sale creation of value? It was already on sale for $31 taxes-in at TRU. As for delivery? That doesn’t mean much to the person who already drove to TRU and found an empty shelf.

Again, what positive do your actions contribute in this example?

TRU for $31 or you for $45.
I just told you, it's not available for $31 cause someone bought them all out. It is now obtainable for $45 instead of the $69.99 price point. The value you are now able to get is 44% instead of 60% off. Dude I can't control who buys what... Can you? Again understand this is different than the Pit of Judgement example... I'm proving to you that people are mad cause they couldn't get the DEAL.... and blaming scalping.

Last edited by ngnaw; 10-17-2020 at 04:44 PM.
ngnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #58
Msol
Titanium

Quote:
I just told you, it's not available for $31 cause someone bought them all out. It is now obtainable for $45 instead of the $69.99 price point. The value you are now able to get is 44% instead of 60% off. Dude I can't control who buys what... Can you? Again understand this is different than the Pit of Judgement example... I'm proving to you that people are mad cause they couldn't get the DEAL.... and blaming scalping.
Wait... in this example YOU'RE the guy who bought them up!
Old 10-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #59
ngnaw
Armada

Quote:
Wait... in this example YOU'RE the guy who bought them up!
No difference in my hypothetical example. If I bought them all up and did what I just explained I see no problem. If I pulled a stunt like Pit Of Judgement well I'd beat myself up.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #60
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Honestly who cares? You like you buy, you don't like the price you move on. Things are only worth what you want to spend. Not you specifically just people in general

people care because every extra unit bought for scalping means another person missed out on it and needs to pay through the roof for it on ebay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	47753  
UsernamePrime is offline   Reply With Quote