Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Cpl. Chrissandwich
Robot Master
Yes I want to bring this up again.

So, my mom got her letter of termination today from Zellers. 28 years of working there, she is going to be let go, not rehired by Target unless she applies, and loses everything. Sinority and pay drop down to beginning levels.

My question is, you still happy we are getting Target? My understanding is every Zellers employee with be let go and have to apply for the exact same job only with a different name.

Its probably some thing at the Executive I dont know or someone here may know.

But thats bullshit.

Even once they change to Target, who is to say we are going to get the selection the americans get? Walmarts between the two countries are vastly different in size and selections. Is it going to be Target? Or Target Canada? If its Target Canada it will probably be the same as zellers, only different name and slightly different colours. Most if not all the people on this board have been to a walmart in the state, you know how different it is.

Anyway, that my rant. I know buyouts this happens lot ex. Best Buy bought Futureshop, Target tookover the Zellers name...whats next?
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
pud333
Animated
Re: Yes I want to bring this up again.

Sorry to hear about your mom, but it's typical business practice. Not that I am saying it is right, but it's what they do. It is what it is. Unfortunately, unless there is a union to protect them, retail workers are usually fucked when this happens.

This doesn't just happen at retail either. I have a friend who works at UBC and he was told his position may not be renewed. He then heard from a close friend that they planned on letting him go, then positing a new position - similar responsibilities, much less pay. Luckily he is part of the union there, so he's going to fight it if push comes to shove.

The reality is, I don't think anyone will care. People are always pushing for lower prices, and in the end, it's the every day Joe or Jane that gets hurt.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Yeah, I've been happy enough with Zellers over the years that I would have rather they stayed Canadian.

I still miss Woolco too..........

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
ang3l3s
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Yeah, I've been happy enough with Zellers over the years that I would have rather they stayed Canadian.

+1
ang3l3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

In the Fairview Mall in St.Catharines, that Zellers is becoming a Walmart sub store. They are telling the employees to reapply to Walmart where they have to start at minimum wage. Alot aren't going too though, it just isn't worth it.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post

This. Target is overrated. Besides, if I want to go to Target, I'd just hop over the border. Sad to see more Canadian stores being sold to Americans.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Never like to hear about people loosing their jobs.

But Zellers sucks balls. It has for a long time. Target will bring more competition from WalMart and effectivly lower the prices we pay, plus their service may actually get better.
As for another US company coming in, whatever. WalMart buys more from canadian manufacturers than any other retail business in Canada. Target will do the same. There is really no down side except a company holding on to "being canadian owned" will fade away.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Sorry to hear about your mom. I have heard similar things from friends who work in the grocery industry - Ultra Food & Drug gets renamed The Barn - All their employees get payouts, reapply and start over again - gets renamed Metro and same happens.

In the case of Ultra/Metro/The Barn it's staying Canadian, but my understanding is that it's fairly normal, if unfortunate practice for businesses who get bought out to close up and restart.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Really sorry to hear about your mom. I know that is not an uncommon occurrence when it comes to one company taking over another.

As for Zellers going buh-bye... I couldn't care less. I rarely shop there, and when I do go I try and remind myself not to go there again. The organization is terrible, and the staff at my local one is generally less than friendly/helpful. I welcome Target and hope they can give Walmart some competition.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Target will bring more competition from WalMart and effectivly lower the prices we pay, plus their service may actually get better.
I can't remember ever getting customer service(other than at the cash register) in a Walmart, Zellers or Target, so the idea that service will improve I think is very unlikely.

If any price gets lowered at Walmart due to this I will also be in shock. I guess they might price match a sale, but the fact that they barely do that now again makes me think its unlikely.

But then I honestly don't find Walmart to be that much superior to Zellers in the grand scheme of things. I certainly hope that everyone that thinks Target is going to be something just incredibly awesome are right.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote