Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3
Have the G1 toys lost their luster?

I'm in the process of redoing my display area, and find myself pulling things off of the shelf that just do not "wow" me as much anymore.

The rubbermaid with these figures seems to have most of the G1 reissues, minibots, etc. I've only kept out the combiners, major figures (eg. Optimus, Megatron, etc), the big guys like Metroplex.

I look at these old figures and they just don't do it for me like they used to. With all of the great lines available now, and the incredible complexity of the figures... does G1 still stand out for you?

Don't get me wrong, I like G1 figures... just not as much as a lot of the modern stuff out there. With Classics/Universe out there, is G1 even necessary (we have many of the characters we love with modern engineering)?

Thoughts? Opinions?

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: Have the G1 toys lost their luster?

With all the new figures that have come out in recent years I can't help but be disappointed with the G1 toys. The characters I love but the stiffness and total lack of articulation is disappointing now. I like to think I have a finer taste now :P

I still do however get G1 figures that I doubt will be updated anytime in the near future such as Predaking, Trypticon, Sixshot, and Lio Kaiser

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
DCompose
Robot Master

G1 forever, they will never lose their luster with me
DCompose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
-KG-
Kranix

It doesn't matter to me how crappy the G1 toys are compared to today's TF's. That's what I grew up with and I absolutely loved them. I loved the show and playing with them as a kid. For that reason I collect them today. I like the newer lines and I collect some of them as well, but at the end of the day, they don't really have a special place for me. I have all the classics in front of me at my desk. They look great and have great transformations but it's just not the same. I don't really "care" for them like that.

Ironically I don't have my g1's on display. But that's mainly because I want to protect them from dust and sunlight (and lack of space).

I feel like if you're gonna spend all this money on collecting toys (and it's hella expensive), you have to love them. I just don't know if in 10 or 20 years I will care at all for Classics, Movie or any other line. I still buy them though

-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
Aernaroth
Metroplex

The G1 figures are the originals. In some, the complexity of the design is still staggering, even if the articulation isn't there. The realism of some alternate modes is another aspect that is absent in most tfs today (except the alternators), and with others, there's just a beautiful simplicity in them.

So yeah, tfs today are different, and have certainly benefitted from advances in technology, but that doesn't take away from what G1 was able to accomplish.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

g1 forever! the movie line has already lost it's lustre, classics mps and alts blend well enough to stay, but i'll always keep my g1s

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
pud333
Animated

I had a bunch of G1 toys as a kid, mom sold them all when I went to college, don't miss them one bit. I have a nostalgia for the figures, but the characters live on in way better toy versions (eg: OP, BB, Ironhide, etc).

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

It's funny for me.
The only reason I like G1 is because it's the line that started it all. I tend to prefer the newer incarnations of characters (Alternators, Classics, etc) just because not only do they look better, they are also much better toy-wise. So G1 is mostly for nostalgia purposes for me.

What's kind of odd is that I still have all my old G1 toys from when I was a kid, and I don't think I could ever get myself to sell those, even though I don't care much for the G1 toyline anyways. I guess G1 really just has that "oh, that's my childhood" feel to it for most fans.
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior

Yes, G1 has definitely lost its luster. Everybody sell all theirs to me cheap!!!
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
Aernaroth
Metroplex

G1 has lost is lustre because die cast parts eventually corrode and chrome aps wear off over time.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote