Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
grizzly519
Alternator
Re: Cleaning pretender shells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
All good tips, however; unfortunately the PVC that parts of the Pretender shells are made of, like the arms namely, just get sticky/oily over time. It's a chemical change in the plastic and there's nothing you can really do about it except keep cleaning it off.
I found that the Lysol wipes work quite well in that regard.
I never thought of the plastic changing over time and assumed the oily or slimy feeling was the grime but that makes a lot of sense.Thanks.
grizzly519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
grizzly519
Alternator

Thanks to everyone for the advise.i ended washing with warm water,soft toothbrush and free and gentle tide.All that remains of "gunk"is one connecter hole on Bludgeon as can't get in there with brush and Oc's harpoon gun was turned grey and brushing did zip.I will soak in dishsoap and hope for best.Thank you all again.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly519 View Post
No chrome on the shells but several other figures and accessories are toast now because of it.Perceptor,Motormaster/Menasor sword,mail away Sunstreaker,Ratchet and Thundercracker to name a few.so i'm grateful i can salvage what i can.
That really sucks.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

For some of the figures you listed, there's not a lot of chrome, perceptor, motormaster, etc. you can salvage with some parts swaps. Junkers with good chrome are abundant

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
grizzly519
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
For some of the figures you listed, there's not a lot of chrome, perceptor, motormaster, etc. you can salvage with some parts swaps. Junkers with good chrome are abundant
I'd be better off just rebuying perceptor as not just the chrome gone but screws rusted so badly don't think i could get them out.I already experienced a parts swap with Trypticon and now have a working model again but my original is in shattered pieces as had no choice but to break the plastic to get what i needed.the motormaster sword chrome is gone so i have a grey sword now.Sunstreaker is a possibility as his "head turbines"(?)suffered the most.need to find better sites then ebay and toy catacomb however to find junkers or parts without having to remortgage my house
Old 09-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
Protoman
The Legend

Griz, I was in the same boat as you.

For some reason when I moved, some pretender shells has a grimmy layer of dust and oil on them, but figures around it (like other 1988-89 toys) NOTHING.

What I use is warm water and baby shampoo (something I learned from my father who sometimes has to wash diecast cars and does not want to have to worry about the paint).

Get rid of the moister and water with paper towels (Don't rub too hard) and leave to air dry.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly519 View Post
I'd be better off just rebuying perceptor as not just the chrome gone but screws rusted so badly don't think i could get them out.I already experienced a parts swap with Trypticon and now have a working model again but my original is in shattered pieces as had no choice but to break the plastic to get what i needed.the motormaster sword chrome is gone so i have a grey sword now.Sunstreaker is a possibility as his "head turbines"(?)suffered the most.need to find better sites then ebay and toy catacomb however to find junkers or parts without having to remortgage my house
the bst on here is very helpful for these sorts of things. bodies shouldn't cost you too much, the sword isn't cheap t replace though

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Hmm....... if its stuck in the arm joints...... maybe try dental floss with dish soap and water?
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #19
grizzly519
Alternator

Well after soaking in water and tide for 24 hrs i took a q-tip and pulled most cotton off it and cleaned peg hole for Bludgeon,new qtip for head washed and he's done.I wasn't happy with results for Oct so soaked agin for another 24.I used the soft toothbrush where i could and q-tips where i couldn't.The worst spot left were inside his feet and i resorted to wet wads of kleenex and a toothpick as nothing else i could find would fit.still some gunk in there but can't seem to do any better.I'm now left with a "sooted"Oct harpoon gun that i'm at a loss to clean as the 48 hr soak did nothing and brushing did the same.I wanted to post pics to illustrate but my camera sucks and as a result so do the shots.Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Here's an idea for Oct's feet. get access to an air compressor and blow the crap out of there. Get a pin, something sharp and pointy, and stab down to the bottom of the crud. It'll help to get it wet.

Then use the air compressor to just blow it out. You'll need to make sure you're using the right attachment though. The bicycle pump one won't work right.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote