Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior
So for everyone who went out and bought Devastator...how is he?

I don't mean to flame-bait or whatever, but from a critical (doesn't mean -ive, just means a set of objective standards in evaluating something) perspective the Supreme Devistator is a massive bust- one of the greatest of all TF time - and yet I see that many of us ran right out and bought him at full price (rather surprized me).

Now, the list of -ives going against him is pretty extensive, and generally agreed upon across the board (aside from the 'I'm going to love him and I don't care what anyone thinks or says lalalala can't hear you'/denial of any critical approach to evaluation): no bot modes, poor quality plastic, extreme lack of paint apps, bad plastic colouring, terrible balance/posability, scale, very basic transformation, role in movie ended up being lame and totally characterless/pointless, etc.

So I'm interested to see if anyone has any kind of critical defense of the figure as being good/decent, or if it has been an impulse buy -'maybe I shouldn't have just spent $115 on these poorly crafted tonka trucks'- sort of purchase in the end.
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Blurrz
Fast Everything
Re: So for everyone who went out and bought Devistator...how is he?

I haven't gotten Devastator yet. In all honesty, the only way Supreme Devastator could've been better, was if he had a better paint job, which is something I'm personally working on when i get it.

To be movie accurate, the individual components of Devastator shouldn't have robot modes, so I don't really see much of a problem with that. That's my main reasoning. Even if they wanted to have individual robot modes, I really don't think it could've happened. The other components of Devastator, be it Hightower, Overload, or whatever, don't even have respective robot modes in CGI.

Also take in point that they don't make combiners the way they used to. To have a Supreme class Combiner is something unique and astonishing. To look like that and not be a complete brick is amazing. Look back at combiners like... oh I don't know Armada Prime + Jetfire + Overload. No one's complaining about how Blocky they are. Energon Prime + Wing Saber. WS was a brick, and yet no one cares now. Calling Supreme Devastator 'a massive bust' isn't the best accusation out there.

Crappy plastic? My god, if there's complaints about that, then just skip the damn RotF line and everything else that's upcoming. The plastic that makes Transformers isn't the same anymore. It died after Energon. They've sacrificed the hard and blocky plastic for thinner plastic, in order for figures to be more pleasingly aesthetic. Animated and RotF show this very well. These aren't cartoon characters the toys are portraying, they are figures that are trying to imitate what a 'robot car' would look like in a real life.

Another thing that turns off a lot of people is the price point. And just because it's so expensive doesn't mean it's a terrible figure. It's just unfortunate that the price point has to be so high due to the economy, that many fans will most likely miss out on the figure. I remember the days when Supreme class was $60. Now that's never going to happen again. Really what can I say, take patience in this figure. It's as a high price point, so it won't be selling that fast. Expect a sale, and whether your a fan, or not, pick the figure up. It's on sale and you're saving money!

All in all, I know it's easy to say, "Oh, we're close to the year 2010, and we can't make a blimey combiner whose component have individual robot modes", but like I said earlier, it wouldn't be 'movie-accurate', and in all honesty, it's a Transformer. If you don't like it, or are unsure of it, then why in the world would anyone jump at it the first moment they see it?

~Blurrz

Last edited by Blurrz; 08-03-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Blurrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Autobot Hound
Tracking Cons since 87'
Re: So for everyone who went out and bought Devistator...how is he?

I would buy him for $115!!! But i just fixed my car so i'll have to save up for him.
My buddy brought his over, i put a pic in the "Post ur TF shots" thread. I think he's cool!!! Ya inspite of all the negative stuff that's been said about him. Im probably the very few that really like him. He's massive, mean and menacing enough to pose on my shelves.
Autobot Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
chans formers
raff ow roud
Re: So for everyone who went out and bought Devastator...how is he?

i like him.he kinda grows on you after a while.out of the box,he's not as tall as i personally would have liked but his width is very imposing.some key points i wish they would have taken care of before release would have been...
  • more paint apps(easy to fix with a few hours and paint)
  • functioning tank tracks.(there's alot of room and hollow areas they could have used for something better)
  • electonics in the smaller limbs would have been nice but easy enough to fix
  • i kinda wished they would have put his so called"neck joint" on a ratcheting system so his head would stay up by itself without having to hold down the sound/mouth opening lever
other than those issues,i'm surprised at how much i'm actually starting to like it.the only thing is that i feel it would have been more logical for them to price it around 70-80 bucks for what you get.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Pascal
Banned

Some fans seem to forget about the FUN factor. Transformers are supposed to be FUN and Devastator definitely is FUN. Yeah he's lacking paint (not a first in TF world), yeah he's not the most poseable (again not a first in TF world), yeah he's not the most complex to transform (looking at you Animated Leader Megatron), yeah he's expensive (hello Ultimate Bumblebee and Japanese imports!), but so what? He's FUN. Sometimes you want to be blown away with super realistic and complex Transformers, sometimes you just want to have FUN. And to me, Devastator is $100 of pure fun. And how much is DELUXE-sized EZ Devy after taxes/shipping/customs? $65-70? More? Not that far from $100...

Last edited by Pascal; 08-03-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Nocturn
Previously Dead

^This. Not that I plan on buying him, but fun should be the biggest selling point for a toy.

Energon bots, specifically dlx/voy/ult- sure, blocky and don't have the best articulation, but line wide combination? Hell yeah!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I haven't got him, but I saw him and passed for 2 reasons.

1. No room in collection for it. I am having to be a little more picky with what I buy and the shelf space that he takes up is immense.

2. I have only spent 100 (at retail) for one other bot: 20th Anniversary prime perhaps the Best transformer ever.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
KBlurr
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
I haven't got him, but I saw him and passed for 2 reasons.

1. No room in collection for it. I am having to be a little more picky with what I buy and the shelf space that he takes up is immense.

2. I have only spent 100 (at retail) for one other bot: 20th Anniversary prime perhaps the Best transformer ever.
Well, I agree with you on those two reasons. I only spent around $140 for Masterpiece Megatron and I have little space right now.

But I am still deciding on which devastator to get & eventually paint.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Crobot91
Metroplex

Got him and I can say that I am very satisfied with him. I hope they repaint him with G1 colours and give him a new head mold similar to what was done to Movie1 Thundercracker and ROTF Swerve.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
generalblast

I know that "Transformers" toys are meant to be fun and everything, but many things make "Mr.Gargantuan" here to be a shelf-warmer forever.

Yes, I know that he's fun and I admit he's a pretty good figure to play with when it comes to the word "Fun", but many factors you have to consider when getting something. "Fun" and if you "Like" is the most important and I find it to be fun and I pretty like this toy overall.

But the price for this figure is like 3-digit amount. That's a big number when considering to buy a toy that can combine. Target-exclusive Superion is only for $29.99 USD, here, around the/ or in the $50 range( Don't know if on sale), but u get the point. $50 to $100 is a big reach. For about $50 more, let's see ACTUALLY what u lose and get more.

Pros:
Sound Feature
Light Feature
The Big Gargantuan Size( Height- About Leader Fig.)
The opening "Vortex" that sucks (I mean by "sucking" things in)

Cons:

No Indiviual Robot Mode
Less Paint Apps
LESS Gimmicks

So you see, Pascal and any other people who think that some fans seems to forget the FUN in TF, when coming to buy something, you need to see if it is worth the budget. Quality and many things are considered, but we think the FUN too. Or else why will we buy it?

So for those of you who are considering getting the Mighty Devastator, is it worth the price of $100? Will u play with it, do you think the quality is good enough, and do u really like it at all? Do u think it is even fun at all?

This is just a question to wrap it up. Sorry for those who was hoping that I got Devastator and share my opinions on it.

Last edited by generalblast; 08-04-2009 at 12:16 AM.
generalblast is offline   Reply With Quote