Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-04-2009, 12:35 AM   #11
exoskeleton
Re: So for everyone who went out and bought Devastator...how is he?

I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!

OR MY ELECTRONIC MUSIC

exoskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #12
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

easy pass for me, frenzy rumbles repaint makes itlook nice, but it's still a glorified megazord, even if it is movie accurate

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:16 AM   #13
sarmick01
Canadian Slag

I got it and after mulling it over for a while I finally bought it.(mind u this was while I was still in Walmart) For me it was more about the price than anything. I think it's cool no matter what.
sarmick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #14
astrana
Nexus Maximus

I have the same reasons as TJ.

no more space for display, i do not want to expand my collection right now, I wasn't going to get movie toys at all... but i broke down and purchased few of them.

for 100 bucks, there are many other items that I want.I have my priorities hehe.

also like generalblast said, is it fun for me?
well, even thou all my TFs are on display, but i will grab them and play with it couple times a week.

I like things with details, so devy is a very easy pass for me.

it really up to you, if you want it and you can afford it, why not?
(if i had the money and space for it, i probably would get it as well)
astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
KingStarscream
Generation 1

Well Said Blurrz!!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

I'd like to get him because he looks like a lot of fun. Huge, imposing, bot-wrecking, "uh-oh" fun.

But I can;t justify plunking down the $100. $60 would be my max to spend on him as he is, I think. Then again, I'm a huge cheapo and I don't think I've *ever* spent $100 on a single bot. Got my DVD Prime on sale for $55, Cyb Supreme Starscream at Winners for $40, etc.
Same reason I don't have a Masterpiece Megs right now.
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
Sokar
Armada

I like him. To me he's worth the money I think. It's what it's meant to be. A big, imposing, monster robot.

For a couple of points:

The lack of detail - While I understand this criticism for the paint to a large extent, this figure really is far from undetailed when you look at the sclupting. Granted more paint to highlight that sclutping would have been a significant touch, but for those thinking these are just a bunch of fisher price toys, I really think you might be overlooking the sculpted details (which admitedly are hard to see through the box and in some of the pictures on the internet). To me this is a major point of why this is a good figure. Thanks to a lot of the recent hasbro releases I've learned that you can always add a bit of paint here and there to make a new figure look better, but adding sculpt details is usually a bit more challenging. A good comparison would be the hot toys iron man figures. The mark III and II are almost identical (looking only at the suits, not the added head/power unit), with the main differences being that the mark II has rivets everywhere and is completely silver. And yet, even though the mark II is almost completely one color, it's a tough decision to choose between the two since the mark II has the extra molded rivets.

There's no overload (the land leveler machine) - This would have been nice, but even though he fits into the legends version, I don't really see how he would fit in here given the design. Either way though, I don't really miss him since to be honest, having watched the devastator sequence several times, other than the vehicle appearing you never really see the actual vehicle transformation sequence like you do for the other 6 parts. You could argue why the truck would show up in that sequence at all if it's not a part of devastator, and I agree with that, but for me I'm just saying why I don't really miss it being there. It's almost like they brought in all those vehicles, shot the scene, then decided back at the cgi stage just to forget about overload towards the final parts of the film.

Overall, the only real issues I sort of have with this figure are:

Paint - It would have been nice to have a bit more paint overall. For the most part though I'm ok with the paint since there's already lots of different colors of plastic. The only real place I wanted more paint that didn't see it though was on the face. He needs a red face like in the film. That's easy enough to change though.

Balance - Like most other huge transformers he's got some balance issues. I've still gotta play around with things some more but he is back heavy. Still though, based on the arm:leg size ratios, you can tell that the anatomical design was not meant to stand on the hind legs, so it's a matter of figuring out how to stand him more like the film.

Articulation - The biggest problems here are the shoulders and the hips. The shoulders move up and down, and the arms bend forward and twist around at a sort of elbow joint, but at the same time there is no real forward/back movement I've found for the shoulders. This would have added to the arm extension which would have maybe allowed for some more accurate stances. Simiarly, while the legs move forward and back, there is no hip swivel and there is no way for the legs to move side to side, just forward and back. to me this hurts the stability since for a lot of figures you could just twist the legs outwards a bit to add stability.

Personally, having looked at the legends figure online and the supreme one, I think that this is definitely the superior figure even with the higher price. I really like the look and proportions of the supreme figure, while the ez version just sort of looks like it was proportioned more off of a human instead of a gorilla. IE ez devastator has roughly equally sized legs and arms and a smaller chest, but the supreme one has shorter legs, larger arms, and a larger chest
Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
Pascal
Banned

There are 2 different joints at the shoulder: in and out and up and down... So the arms can move in pretty much all directions.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote