Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-18-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Sunstar
All Hail Starscream!
TFcon - Quest Bar Prices 2015 vs 2016

Okay, not only am I a Starscream fan of an insane level, I am also a Chef. So I do have an understanding of how things roll in restaurants for food cost etc. However, I am seeing a huge increase in their prices between last year and this year. And as someone pointed out in the Q&A – feedback panel on Sunday – it seemed like a significant drop in party.

I ask for a copy of the menu each year - as I said I am a chef and its something we do. I ask, I don't just take.

I will begin with this that this year the food seemed “over the top” for geek/nerd party food.

Last year I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner There. The prices were reasonable with the most expensive food item at 18 dollars. This year it was 19. Where that does not seem a problem, I will compare the prices between the two menus. I will get a copy of the menus up when it's brighter out.

This year I only got the nachos and I found them quite disappointing. I have plated nachos much similar to what is done here, and we do it in layers, ensuring chips are evenly covered in cheese and toppings throughout the dish. Also the cheese is well melted. Our cheese was barely melted and most of the chips had nothing on them, were soggy/soft and the salsa dip and sour cream came in plastic 30ml sauce cups and was not enough to even use as a dip. I rated them piss poor for the price paid.

2015 is in Purple, 2016 is in red.

Soups
½ (about a pint) litre Hearty Beef Vegetable & Barley Soup – 9
Fresh House Made Soup – 9 (no indication of portion size – please chime in likely the same)
or
Spring Seafood and Vegetable Chowder – 12

The soup prices have not changed between years which is good, with an additonal soup at 12 that is seafood is actually not unreasonable. These two, I cannot argue with because I see no problem.

Salads
Greek Salad with Pita & Hummus – 9
Added chicken - 4
&
Chicken & Market Garden Salad – 12 (Standard salad ingredients such as spring greens, toms, cucs, carrots.)

Traditional Caesar Salad – 10.50
Grilled chicken, Steak, Shrimp or salmon add: 7.50 (2.50 price jump between chicken this year and last)
&
Power Salad – 14 (baby kale, chard, spinach, lolla rossa (red leaf lettuce), roasted red and gold beets, avo.)

Poutine
Great Canadian Poutine – 9
Ontario curds, beef gravy

Traditional Montreal Poutine - 11
Quebec curds, Braised beef gravy.

Burgers:
Steakhouse Burger - 12
Add cheddar – 1
Add Bacon – 1

Fresh Pressed Burger – 15.50
Bacon Cheddar Mushroom Burger – 18.50

Other stuffs:
House Made Mac and Cheese – 10
Mac and Five Cheese – 15

Chicken Fingers 4 (with fries or Salad) – 12
Chicken Fingers 4 (with fries or Salad) – 15

Chicken Wings and Fries – 12

Buffalo Chicken Wings and potato chips (house made) - 16

8.5oz Beer battered Haddock & Chips – 14
6oz Beer battered Haddock bites and Chips – 16

Nacho Grande – 10
Fresh cut chips, trio cheese, jalapeno peps, olives, toms, green onions, pico and sour cream.
Add Beef - 4

Baked Cheese Nachos - 13
House fried tortillas, trio cheese, jalapeno peps, olives, toms, Green onions, pico and sour cream.
Add Beef - 6

Quest Share Platter – 18
Calimari, Chicken Wings, Boneless Ribs, grilled Pita, hummus, veg, tort chips and dips.

2.50 split charge.

Pizza:
Margherita Pizza - 10
(tomato Pomodoro, mozza, fresh basil seedlings)
Pepperoni, salami & Mushroom Pizza – 10

Sicilian Pizza – 19
(tomato basil sauce, Italian sausage, roasted red peps, shaved parm, baby arugula.)

Pasta:
Baked meat and Mozzarella Lasagne - 12

Rigatoni Bolognaise – 19

Drink Menu Comparison Same colour setup deal.

Pints:
Stella – 7
Creemore Springs – 6
Steamwhistle – 6
Coors light – 6

Stella – 10
Creemore Springs – 8
Steamwhistle – 8
Coors light – 8

Bottles:
Creemore lager – 4.95
Keith's Red - 4.95
Rolling rock, Tall boy – 4.95

Waterloo Dark – 6
Sleeman honey Brown – 6
Bud Light – 6

Cocktails:
2015 – 7
2016 – 8

Mocktails:
2015/16 - 5

Talk with your pocketbook. I left feedback regarding the costs.

Evil Chefticon
Owner of starscream.ca the new Sunstar's Seeker Sanctuary Home!
Sunstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician
Re: TFcon - Quest Bar Prices 2015 vs 2016

Wow so glad I was not there long enough to want to eat but I did last year and the meal I had was decent but not as great as the year they had the Optimus PRIME RIB burgers !!!! those were so good the wife and I waited an hour and a half to try them ( as we heard so many rave reviews) then we waited another half an hour for just another Burger to take home it was that yummy
Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
Xtreme987
Metroplex

Didn't bother sticking around to eat there. Figured since it was in the Hilton, it would be pricey. Ate @ Burger King instead just down the road.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:09 AM   #4
Sunstar
All Hail Starscream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme987 View Post
Didn't bother sticking around to eat there. Figured since it was in the Hilton, it would be pricey. Ate @ Burger King instead just down the road.
We went there sunday, ate there, then brought some back to microwave throught the evening.

I think last year we tried most of what was available - and it was all really good.

Evil Chefticon
Old 07-19-2016, 12:34 AM   #5
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstar View Post
We went there sunday, ate there, then brought some back to microwave throught the evening.

I think last year we tried most of what was available - and it was all really good.
The problem is though is that the service at the Quest Bar isn't exactly stellar. Even getting a glass of water refilled takes forever. Ended up getting a packed lunch thanks to a friend of mine that was attending and I'm super glad I had that option instead...those menu prices aren't that far off from their normal menu price.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:40 AM   #6
Sunstar
All Hail Starscream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Knight View Post
The problem is though is that the service at the Quest Bar isn't exactly stellar. Even getting a glass of water refilled takes forever. Ended up getting a packed lunch thanks to a friend of mine that was attending and I'm super glad I had that option instead...those menu prices aren't that far off from their normal menu price.
No, it isn't stellar. Some of the staff have been there for years and that's how I get the menus... They are friendly - but not quick. They appear to comprehend the concept of bringing out meals to tables as a unit as opposed to one at a time staggering the start. That could be an issue between front of house - taking stuff prematurely, or Back of house not preparing or plating stuff to go out at the same time.

As I have it figured, next year I will bring a lot more beer and go to thesuper market for more. I am hoping we will have a car to rent or drive this time next year.

Not that I don't like riding - I want to display my collection.

Evil Chefticon
Old 07-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus

I agree... prices were higher this year
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
Iacon
Noted Gadabout
Iacon's Ebay Auctions

Wow... food felt a bit pricey, but I didn't realize it had jumped that much since last year...

I will say that the speed of the service seems to be gradually improving over the years. I had three meals at Quest this year, and each time I was in and out in about 40 minutes, making it pretty easy to catch the next panel (and, in some cases, even catch a little bit of the panel I had chosen to skip for the regrettable necessity of sustenance!).

I seem to recall just barely being able to get done eating in an hour at TFCon 2011, so I did generally get the impression of increased efficiency this time around... though apparently efficiency comes at a premium... <shrugs>
@Jonny5IsUndead
Iacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #9
Stormrave
Machine War

I was surprised that the service seemed so much faster this year until I realized that the bar was emptier than previous years.

Maybe the prices had something to do with it.

Gonna be honest, I only ate at Quest one night. Just had a specialty drink the other nights. Was more budget friendly to eat dinner at Burger King and follow up with the TF themed drinks at Quest.

I realize that last year the hotel had only just changed ownership. This year the hotel was fully converted over to a Hilton. Maybe that's the reason for the price increase.

The restaurant can charge what it wants, but it definitely affected how much I ate there, and Burger King saw me more often than it did in 2015.

TL: dr - I appreciated the better service, but couldn't afford the increased prices, and adjusted where I ate dinner accordingly.

It was also frustrating on Sunday morning to sit there for 30 minutes waiting for breakfast menus before the waitress told us it was buffet only on that particular day (having seen the breakfast menu the day before, we expected to get a breakfast menu). As apology, we only got charged for one coffee, not two. We didn't have time to go elsewhere for breakfast, but we had food in our room, so we ate that.
Stormrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:57 PM   #10
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

I guess I'm in the minority here. Back in 2011, the food wasn't amazing, so I opted to walk to the Pizza Pizza.......about 30 or so minutes away.

Not worth it.

Since then I've come to love the QUEST Bar. Love the staff, love the setup, love the drinks. The prices were a bit too high but, you're paying for the luxury of having said food within the air cobditioned building your show is in. Not to mention some of those items were upgraded from previous versions...like the poutine becoming the "Montreal" poutine.

Again, bit pricey, but imho you hafta just sometimes deal with it if you're hungry and don't want to go far from the hotel. Decide with your wallet.
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote