Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-27-2015, 02:49 AM   #21
Buhawi
Ang Alamat
Re: Is it time to stop glorifying the brand and focus on the designer?

I'be added something in there to further that discussion.

Star designer = pay more
Old 11-27-2015, 02:53 AM   #22
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

It is an interesting discussion but ultimately I think it will lead to something we all do not want. Cycling through designers without crediting their names on the box is the way to go.

Finding out through discussion with fellow members is a better format.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:59 AM   #23
CAF
Banned

What will it lead to? Overpriced toys? It's already like that. And now the overpriced toys are without a decent designer. Now we have overpriced toys that are worth less than half of their value.
perhaps it would lead to better toys? Why is everyone so pessimistic
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:07 AM   #24
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

I don't think MP or retail are overpriced. Maybe deluxes (soon voyagers).

Overpriced is on the other side of the fence and of all things, imitation TFs.

Yes, a lot of people don't seem to mind right? As a consumer, that's not something a sane (nothing to do with fandom thinking) person should do or even worse defend.

ps: My posting habits might seem weird but I work while posting and take of my kids when I'm at home. don't mind the editing and fractured posting.

Last edited by Buhawi; 11-27-2015 at 03:11 AM.
Buhawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:14 AM   #25
CAF
Banned

Clearly the recurring argument for liscencing s a strong element of this conversation and it might be influencing the answers in a roundabout kinda way.

So I ask you in a different context- should movies not have the directors and actors names on the case?

Should the writer of a song not get credit for it?

However on pricing- the FT Insecticons are only 100 bucks.
Quakewave is the same price as Shockwave. Appolyon is only 180.

Last edited by CAF; 11-27-2015 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:21 AM   #26
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

These are not something the designers exactly made themselves. Unlike, authors, musicians, directors and actors who produce their own using their imagination/talent. The results are quite different. TF designers didn't make Optimus Prime. They are paid to design and resdesign an already existing image. Not all the same.

They are more like commissioned designers for an existing reimagined image. Yes, I'd like to know who they are but don't necessarily want to give them that much status in exchange for more money.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:28 AM   #27
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

If you want a more concrete example.

Maybe comic artists would be a better one.

Preference doesn't apply/affect the price but we have to find out what the difference between that and the toy industry.

Or even better Freedomgundam's example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomGundam View Post
I don't know if it's actually "glorifying" the brand, but I would be totally up for having the sculptor or designer's name on the packaging.

Hot Toys figures have been doing this for years. They list the sculptor, painter, etc, like this:
http://marveltoynews.com/wp-content/...2445795587.jpg
Old 11-27-2015, 03:28 AM   #28
CAF
Banned

That's a great point about intellectual property.
So I also would imagine that you believe then that comic book artists do not deserve recognition for their artistic contribution. I can safely assume here that you believe a transformers comic should be called "transformers" and have no mention of the design/writing team?

Or am I wrong on that?

We're treading on the topic of double standards here
Old 11-27-2015, 03:41 AM   #29
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Designers and artists are not the same thing. And designers in different industry work very differently.

Fashion designers put their names on their designs/products because chances are they own their labels/companies. Many interior designer do the same.

Industrial designers working for a big manufacturers are very different. Do you see Apple/Sony/Samsung name their products' designers? How many car designers can you name? You may know many Ferraris were designed by Pininfarina, but Pininfarina rarely gave credit to individuals. Designers accept that as part of their jobs. They probably have a lot of trade secret to keep. You just don't seem to understand that.

Also can you read Japanese? Japanese hobby magazines almost always have interviews with designers and modelers. They fully acknowledge their designs and contributions. But the designers say they are just just doing their best possible jobs. They are not the Khadashians out to make a name on their own.

It's also not the same to use Hot Toys as example. What does HT make? They make 1/6 figures in the likeness of a real person's appearance in a movie. There's the actors/actress' image right. If they are making a Loki figure, it better looks like Tom Hiddelston as Loki in the Thor/Avengers movies. HT is probably under legal terms to name the sculptor who made Tom Hiddelston's face. Even faceless figures like Stormtroopers have their sculptors named.

If you are such a Hasui fan boy, he has a twitter account. Twit him yourself. Let us know if Hasui san twits you back.

Last edited by Darth Cylon; 11-27-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:45 AM   #30
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

I think you misundertood what I said or maybe I wasn't clear enough. Your analogy, movies, musicians actors, directors does have anything to stand on here but maybe a comic book artists is more fair. Yes, I want to be able to tell between the good and bad artist or in this case designers. As we're already able to do so (with a little research of course) and not affect it's price. Again, I'm not sure if the latter does or not but the best way to see this is with Freedomgundam's example.

with Hot toys. Is there a star designer who may affect the toy's price?