Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag
Re: Is it time to stop glorifying the brand and focus on the designer?

I think the original analogy is a little off. If a toy were to be equated to a film, the actor/star of the film would be the character. Because if you're familiar with an actor's previous work, you know what to expect from them in other films. If it's Sylvester Stallone, you know he's going to play some tough badass. Just like if you know the character is Optimus Prime, you know he'll be a tall, red and blue robot who turns into a truck. The designer is more like the writer/director. If a movie is made by someone like Quentin Tarantino, Ridley Scott, or Joss Whedon you know how good the movie will be, what the shots will be like, what the sets and costumes will look like, etc.

As for the question at hand, yes. Yes, they should definitely start putting the designers(') name(s) on the packaging. Probably not big, bold font front and center. But maybe on the back, at the bottom of the picture of the figure. Almost like a feature like "launching missile" or "kung fu grip".

As evident by the very landscape of the toy industry at the moment, and as heralded by those in the business such as Aaron Archer, we all know the toy industry is moving toward being collector-centric as opposed to kid-centric. Kids don't care about toys anymore. They're engaged in digital media, whether it be video games, apps, or on-demand video(YouTube, Netflix, etc). It's the adults buying toys based on things they grew up with, either for themselves or trying to get their kids into it.

Although it is evident that the toy world isn't read for such a paradigm shift from brand recognition to designer recognition. Play With This Too's Kickstarter failing twice is proof of that. There was more wrong with that Kickstarter than just the fact that people didn't care who designed the toys, but it's still credent.

I know I would be more likely to buy a figure if I knew it was from a designer who made another figure I liked.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
Pascal
Banned

On second thought, this might not be a good idea. If the designer's from the US, for sure there will be crazy fans out there ready to send him death threats on Facebook because he forgot to include ankle tilt or something.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #13
CAF
Banned

Director over actor. Good point.
Lol. Nutjobs will be nutjobs despite where the name is on anything. Unfortunately that's not a reason to hide behind a brand. Bachman just did that to see if the King was all hype.
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:27 AM   #14
CanBot
Cybertron

Interesting concept, but look at it this way: no matter who Takara chooses, they are the best person for that job. We as consumers can pine about how one designer 'might' have done something differently but it's hardly like an artistic situation. There's a reason they have a few to choose from. I see what you're asking, but my answer is no. First, I don't glorify the company nor the designer. If it's good, I say so. If not, I don't think that it would have been better if somebody else designed it. We get what we get and we trust the company to put the best person in the position to get the best product.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:36 AM   #15
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

No.

The majority of what Hasbro sells, specifically Transformers in this case, are meant for kids.

Parents and kids couldn't care less who the designer is of the toy they are getting/buying. If Transformers were a collector focused brand then I could see making an argument for credits on toys.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:43 AM   #16
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF View Post
This is what's wrong with the world. When artisans become less admired than the companies they made become what they are, society has failed.
Really? This is what's wrong with the world? This is how society failed?

If this was the biggest problem society faced, I'd take it in a heartbeat, and I'm sure the people of Paris would too.

You know what I see as being a problem in the world? Lack of critical thinking skills and too much hyperbole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF View Post
Creative brilliance should never be homogenized. IMO, a creative splendor can not be easily replace
Creative splendor? Dude, creativity isn't magic. It isn't something that someone gets gifted out of the ether with. It's hard work. It's developed through years of practice, like carpentry, or computer programming.

As for being homogenized. It's easy to hold ideals when you're not starving. Rare is the artist who doesn't want to get paid and paid well. The world of art is every bit as cut-throat as the business world.

Ever wonder why some well known authors, with worlds of their own to create in, wrote books in the Star Wars EU? Yes, in part, they maybe fans of the universe, but when you write a Star Wars book, you get paid well. It's pretty much an automatic NY Times best seller. It's a great career move, because now you can list on all your books that you're a NY Times best seller, and greatest thing of all, you get paid.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:25 AM   #17
CAF
Banned

So is advocating artists as worthless a lesson in humility?
Old 11-27-2015, 02:31 AM   #18
CAF
Banned

And yes, devaluing artistry is what's wrong with the world. Among other things, but this isn't about irrelevant things. It's about treating artists to the acknowledgement they deserve.
It's about giving consumers the chance to support products because of the merits of the artist as opposed to the name of the people who write the checks.
Why you jump on my topics all the time bro?
Old 11-27-2015, 02:33 AM   #19
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

I think you guys are overthinking this since it's not like you have any kind of real input in the industry. Aside from your wallet of course.

If there was a "star" designer in the industry wouldn't that increase the price? It's like you guys are trying to open a can of worms here.

However, I would like to know who's work it is that I admire the most. I'm content on how it works the way it is now.

Last edited by Buhawi; 11-27-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Buhawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:38 AM   #20
CAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhawi View Post
I think you guys are overthinking this since it's not like you have any kind of real input in the industry. Aside from your wallet of course.

However, I would like to know who's work it is that I admire the most.
It's a discussion forum about transformers. Better to overthink something than to not think at all isn't it?

Maybe I should just go. Seems like a lot of people can't deal with thoughtful conversation here. It just turns into a big drama fest.
To be honest, I have been asking myself lately why I bother posting anything here at all. I get attacked no matter what I say in here. This place is friggin hostile