Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Uberman
Energon
My Review: Top Ten Legends Class Figures!

Top Ten Legends Class

I like Legends figures. Here's my top ten, with no further fanfare, in a semi-thought-out order of preference.

10 - ROTF Megatron
He's a Legend that is arguably better than the Voyager and Leader in terms of screen-accuracy. He's not the most articulated or complicated, but it could easily be argued that he's the most fun. And he's far easier to fit in your pocket.

9- Movie 1 Scorponok
Really, any Legend that by virtue of improved articulation, transformation, and playability becomes the definitive version of a specific character should be owned on principle alone. There aren't many, but this is such a figure. It doesn't hurt that he's also more in scale [if there is such a thing] to more figures, making him sort of transcend the Legends class and fit in better with Deluxe displays [ROTF Wheelie almost manages this feat as well].

8 - Movie 1 Brawl
I like tanks. Tanks are cool. And this little dude makes a really attractive tank, in a tiny little package. He also transforms really cool for a Legend, and maintains a pretty wide range of movement. So that's all good too.

7 - G2 Megatron
I'm a bit of a neophyte, and much of G2 is a strange dream of my early/mid youth. But Megatron as a tank speaks to me, and this is a solid little tank, which I think I already discussed my love of. Add to that it is essentially an identical, scaled-down version of a figure from the generally overlooked era, and he stands out as something that just... seems important for a collection to have. If you don't have the original, this is a tiny, perfect substitute.

6 - Movie 1 Bonecrusher
My favorite of the original movie Legends. I don't have a terribly compelling reason, I just love Bonecrusher, I love his zany vehicle, I love how easy he transforms and how fun he is to play with. I love that goony claw thing. I just really love this guy, and there's no accounting for that.

5 - ROTF Sideways
Sideways is a sexy car. It's sort of as simple as that. Actually, it's more that that. I see this figure, and I can't help but ponder why the RPMs exist. Take this guy, improve the wheels a little, and bam, he could easily do everything the RPMs do, AND transform. Figure out a way to make his arms and hood diecast, and imagine!

4 - Cybertron Starscream
The original Legends figures tended to be... compromised. They are cute, but sometimes had the tendency to be... well, not super-fun. This guy, by my reckoning, was easily the most fun of the bunch, having what still might be the most articulation of any Legend figure [ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, and head]. And neato-flip out weapons? I don't know if the fact that he transforms almost exactly the same way as a Supreme figure says that the Supreme is too simplistic or that this guy is just too good.

3 - ROTF Optimus Prime
The best of the ROTF Legends crew. Far better than the original movie Legend, and remarkable in its relative complexity, the fact that it also combines [sort of] with Jetfire is that nice extra bit of icing. And, really, Optimus needs to be near the top of any list.

2 - The Legends Minibots [Brawn, Wheelie, Warpath, Bumblebee, Beachcomber, and Cosmos]
The guys sort of single-handedly make the Universe line worth the effort, even if all the other figures in the line had have sucked [they didn't]. The logical step of taking the original micro-line and recreating it in the current micro-line was genius, and making them such vast improvements in terms of transformation and articulation, while maintaining almost all significant aspects of the originals make these Legends the cream of the crop. Well, until...

1 - Devastator
This thing is the be-all and end-all of Legends technology. It is a brilliant figure, with a satisfyingly complicated transformation and enough play-value to make it worthwhile. Add to that it being the only version of this character to feature alt, robot, and limb modes, and you've got a hands-down winner. It's just gravy that each individual Legend without question deserves a spot on this list in its own right. Special mention: Hightower, Scrapper, and Overload, for being the only place these guy appear in the toyline.

Honourable Mention:
ROTF Soundwave. All Satellite-bots should be owned, and this guy wins for being both confounding and awesome.

Agree? Disagree? Did I miss any you love? Hate any I like? Sound off.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus
Re: My Review: Top Ten Legends Class Figures!

Kinda disappointed that you left the Animated Legends off the list. Legends Bumblebee is a thing of beauty, and nicely scaled to go with Activators Prime and Ratchet, Voyager Bulkhead and Legends Prowl (who is also pretty nice, but has a bit of a wonky vehicle mode.)
Old 02-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Uberman
Energon

Bumblebee specifically was shortlisted. Consider him #11.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Thats a nice list, I would have to say I mostly agree. Though I would replace Sideways with Sideswipe.

Devs and Cybertron Starscream are amazing. How else can you take a Supreme sized figure, shrink it to Legends, and either meet (Starscream) or vastly improve in every single way possible (devs)!

I love my Legends figures. I bought one of the Japanese sets JUST to get Cliffjumper.
Devastator is sitting on my computer tower here at work, and will soon be joined by all other ROTF Legends (except Wheelie). I have em all in my locker here at work, but since I moved cubicles, I haven't had time to put them out on display >_<

ROTF Soundwave was a very nice suprise though. not the best bot mode, not the best satellite mode, but... The Transformation is pretty awesome! And he has a Balljointed head, which.. Do any other Legends have that? I am missing Animated Bumblebee and Prime And I have not opened my Prowl yet ($2.50 at Superstore! it was hiding behind all the ROTF legends)

Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Janitor
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
I love my Legends figures. I bought one of the Japanese sets JUST to get Cliffjumper.
I did the EXACT same thing! The extra Brawn is "Outback", and now left with a double of Beachcomber.

G1 minibots FTW!!
Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
pulsedragon20
I win

TFTM Scorponok...really?

What about RID/Universe Ultra Magnus, RID OP...possibly X-Brawn as well? (I consider them Legends but not 100% sure about that)
pulsedragon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsedragon20 View Post
TFTM Scorponok...really?

What about RID/Universe Ultra Magnus, RID OP...possibly X-Brawn as well? (I consider them Legends but not 100% sure about that)
The OP is referring to the Legends size class of figures, first introduced with the Cybertron toyline. NOT his personal Transformers Legends or whatever. Unless you were talking about Spychangers, but even then Spychanges do not = Legends, if anything Spychangers are more akin to Transforming versions of those RPM things.

I can't really say one way or the other though if your reasoning is wrong, it is your reasoning, I just thought you meant the large scale figures.

I have to admit though that the Legends Class Scorponok from TFTM is indeed an interesting figure and high on my list of favorite Legends Class figures.

A lot of those original Cybertron molds deserve more credit than you give them though, sure they aren't as uber poseable as the newer stuff, but they are the originators of that size class and for what they are they certainly ROCK.

I think we can all agree on one things though, the original Movie Legends Class Optimus Prime is the WORST representation of Movieverse Prime and a poorly engineered Legends Class size wise. (He could have been bigger, I mean look at how they re-envisioned it for the RotF line.)
Old 02-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Wait a second... Legends Scorponok? Why have I heard of this just now? I googled it, and sure enough, he was one of the first, wtf?

I WANT ONE!
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
Wait a second... Legends Scorponok? Why have I heard of this just now? I googled it, and sure enough, he was one of the first, wtf?

I WANT ONE!
Check your local Superstores, one of the ones in Winnipeg recieved an old case assortment of All-Spark Battles Two Packs a few weeks ago and they were selling them for 7.44$ CND each. I'm fairly sure I saw Bumblebee/Scorponok two-packs among them.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsedragon20 View Post
TFTM Scorponok...really?

If we're going to include Spychangers, then why not the original Gobots? They were about the same size as Legends figures and had similarly complex transformations and articulation (featuring balljoints years before they'd be incorporated into Transformers figures,) but tended to be more detailed and featured die-cast metal. I'd say that they're still among the best small-scale transforming figures ever produced.

(I'd still take an original Pathfinder over a Legends Cosmos any day.)