Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy
Re: MasterCollectors = MasterStealers?

isn't mastercollector part of sgcollect? they are both using the retrozone2005 ebay handle.

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW

Last edited by brr-icy; 12-14-2009 at 11:41 AM.
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
astrana
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by venksta View Post
Dak already mentioned on TFW that he worked something out with MasterCollectors.

Now, Dak's custom and this MC figure are both based off the same source material, which both don't have the rights too. The only thing MC could of stole off of Dak, is the engineering he had to figure out, to translate the original 2D design into something physical. Though, its public knowledge that Don, the original designer for Nova Prime, makes most of his designs be able to become toys. So there is a good chance that if MC never did look at Dak's custom, they'd still be similar. But MC has stated on their site they did look at Dak's custom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamould View Post
If you compare them side by side there's lots of differences. They were created using completely different methods, but both based on the same sketches. I do think they saw what worked on Dak's custom and applied it to theirs though. If they went out and mass produced this thing and made a boatload of money there might be something worth gettting worked up over, but it doesn't seem they have the ability to do that.
there you go... so MC and Dak "stole" from hasbro
astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
dak
Master Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrana View Post
mmm.... no, don't say that.... I created art based off an image.
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Yes, all customizers are thieves

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Yep, they sure did build something using their own materials and labor based off design pics freely given or legally purchased through a Hasbro licensee. Sure sounds like "stole" to me.

I think the big issue here is that Dak did it first, and they are capitalising off of his labor of love to some degree in their design, which at this point may or may not be used to make profit. And given that MC did credit Don and Dak, and seems to be in communication with them currently, I think we should just wait and see what develops.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #16
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

It never struck me as a stolen design because when I first seen the MC one I thought, "Phffft! This is a lot smaller than the one Dak made." But knock off companies thrive at making larger and/or smaller versions of excising molds, so who knows.

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #17
astrana
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
Yes, all customizers are thieves
i did not say that.

Chans' alternator insecticons are original.
astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
venksta
Render Project Creations

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak View Post
mmm.... no, don't say that.... I created art based off an image.
Quote:
i did not say that.

I think we can all agree that if Hasbro made their own Nova Prime figure, than any knockoff of it would be stealing. And when I say knockoff, I do mean taking that imaginary Hasbro Nova Prime figure and making copies off it, be it bigger, small, or in neon pink, lol. But anyways, that would be only way any stealing could be done with this Nova Prime issue.

I'm going to actually throw a question out to everyone, as now I'm curious what you guys would think. What if Hasbro announced their own Nova Prime figure for Universe 3.0? Lets say its based of Don's design as well, so it would share similarities with Dak's and MC's version. Would you guys have issues with that? The designers could use both of these versions to make their work a bit easier. And they wouldn't have to acknowledge it either.

Btw, I want to make it clear, just in case. Dak, I have nothing against your custom, or MC's version. Your custom is definitely an amazing piece, and my comments in this, or any other thread is not to take away from it, or to put it in any negative light. I'm just trying to have a fun conversation with everyone here, and am doing my best to be neutral in my view and posts for this topic.

Last edited by venksta; 12-14-2009 at 06:07 PM.
venksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #19
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by venksta View Post
I'm going to actually throw a question out to everyone, as now I'm curious what you guys would think. What if Hasbro announced their own Nova Prime figure for Universe 3.0? Lets say its based of Don's design as well, so it would share similarities with Dak's and MC's version. Would you guys have issues with that? The designers could use both of these versions to make their work a bit easier. And they wouldn't have to acknowledge it either.
I would say that Hasbro would be completely within their rights to make one, as they own the franchise and the characters. If the product turned out to be based on Daks or the MC version, I think it would be nice that they somehow acknowledge this, but would think any renumeration would be an issue between Hasbro and them. And IMO, Hasbro has a decent track record of acknowledging where their designs come from, as well as nods to those who have helped along the way.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #20
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
i did not say that.

Alternators... Hasbro line....
Insecticons... Hasbro characters....

If your argument is going to be that they had new alt modes designed for them then why is Hasbro getting pissed at Fansproject for making Defender? It's still their IP, only difference it they mass produce and sell it while customizers don't. In both cases Intellectual Properties owned by Hasbro are used.

By this logic the only time customizers don't "steal" is if they make Original Character Transformers but even then...they're Transformers if you slap on an Autobot or Decepticon insignia on them.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote