Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
Janitor
Classic
Re: Fan Expo Toronto 2013

Never been, and don't have any real intentions of going as I hear it's always a shit-show in terms of the crowds. The guest list is quite impressive though, reaching out to that gaming/Firefly/anime/Star Trek/90210/comic book/wrestling/Star Wars/David Hasselhoff/cartoon/sports/zombie loving hybrid-demographic!

If some friends go and I have the time I may consider tagging along.
Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
renegade_decepticon
Transformers/Anime Fanboy
Send a message via Skype™ to renegade_decepticon

I'm sold on going since Todd McFarlane is coming this year

PSN Online ID: Black_Fire_F50
FFXIV Online: Diabolos Server (Maiyo Katsuko)
My Feedback: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ade_decepticon
My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/darkrenagadef50
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BlackFlameF50
My Venom podcast: https://wearevenomaniacs.podbean.com/ & on YouTube (We Are Venomaniacs! Podcast)

My Top 3 Most Wanted Figures:
renegade_decepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
Uberman
Energon

I miss the OLD days, when autographs in the Horror section were free. I remember going, and Tom Savini was just sorta sitting there on the floor, manning his own little booth, rappin' with people and giving out autographs like it was nothing at all. Same with Doug Bradley!

It's a massive, terrible monster but I still go, each year lamenting how it's no longer the thing it once was. Only now I wear costumes.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Kinda sold on going for Tara Strong and Jeffery Combs but…something tells me that this year might become another disaster.

Still not 100% decided on going…the ticket prices are also pretty insane.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Wow, weekend pass is $122 including service fees.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Uhhhh I want to go to shake Mr. Comb's hand for doing such an awesome job as Ratch, but honestly, I do not want to give Hobbystar/Rogers any of my money! Vowed never to return in 2010, haven't been back since.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Can those of you who are saying that it is a disaster tell me why? I have been a couple of years and outside of the crazy crowds at times I haven't really seen anything that would make me classify it as a disaster.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Exclamation Re: Fan Expo Toronto 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Can those of you who are saying that it is a disaster tell me why? I have been a couple of years and outside of the crazy crowds at times I haven't really seen anything that would make me classify it as a disaster.
I believe my first show was in 2000, so I'll start from there to give you my recollection of events.

-It used to be a decent sized crowd within a fairly large space, marketed as Comic and Sci-Fi Con.
-Then "being a geek" was cool.
-Then it was either management change or new money making scheme was developed.
-Then more features were added, Horror and Anime and Gaming. Thus bringing in more crowds.
-Slight change in venue. We moved from the North Building to the slightly bigger South Building
-Then "being a geek" was even more cool than before.
-IMO ONLY....the number of volunteers were growing, but still not sufficient to run the continually faster growing show

- >>> then I think it was 2010, when either Fan Expo screwed up or the convention centre screwed up, and the show was held back in the North Building. It was a year that had more big name guests. Buying tickets took forever because of the HUGE line, then for many people, once you came out for some fresh air/sunlight/food/etc, you weren't allowed back in, due to "max capacity or fire regulations" or both or whatever. My party and I noticed a massive 2-block line outside when we were planning on leaving to get lunch. We then heard people talking, so we decided to trap ourselves in the hall and suck it up with the high priced food at the limited few food vendors. I heard some of them ran out of product, and couldn't get resupplied quickly due to difficulty getting in. IIRC....after all the negative feedback, I think the organizers set up a small limited show in Sept that was free as an apoligy. Someone please add details if they remember more about it. <<<

-this year they've added SPORTS, and they're using both NORTH and SOUTH Buildings to guarantee less hassle with overcrowding. But by doing so, admission costs have gone up higher than usual.

Not surprisingly, as the "Centre of the Universe", this show is starting to turn into the equivalent of SDCC and NYCC.

(again, if I missed anything significant or big, please feel free to details)

PS: nu-Star Trek Zachery Quinto has just been added to the guest list.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)

Last edited by Metroplex79; 06-26-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

As much as I would love to go since the "Dixon Brothers" from the Walking Dead are going to be there, I just can't deal with the hassle of going.

The crowds are just insane and I'm just not sure if it would be worth my time to stand in line and wait for an autograph.

I've been hoping they would put up a "VIP" package like they have in previous years for a photo op with both of them and front of the line autograph priviledges, but I have seen so such packages appear so far.

And combined with the fact that Thursday is really the only day I could go this year just doesn't make it worth it. Even if they were both there on Thursday I doubt the 4-9 time period would allow me to get both of their autographs anyways.

Oh well. Reedus does tons of conventions so I'm not worried. I'll get him eventually.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Oh, do me(and yourself) a favor and NEVER buy a "VIP" package, or any sort of package for that matter.

It was 2010 when I decided to go for the full weekend. Bought the VIP package and everything. And of course it turned out to be a total shitfest. The worst of which was when they blocked the VIP package holders from entering so they could sell more walk-in tickets. Atrocious.