Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #1301
Undrave
Canadian Slag
Re: The Montreal/Quebec Local Fans Banter Thread

Automaton just sent me my invoice for MakeToys' Paladin Chaos and Mobine Missile Launcher

It's finally arriving! Can't wait to get those!
Undrave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #1302
Abraxys
With full honors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post
Automaton just sent me my invoice for MakeToys' Paladin Chaos and Mobine Missile Launcher

Now there's a good example of good bilingual business in Quebec! Being inclusive, as people who speak two different languages, really shouldnt amount to anything except speaking out of courtesy to fellow neighbors. No politics, no whining.

Last edited by Abraxys; 06-04-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Abraxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #1303
SMOG
zombicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Anglophones, yes.
Nope. All of us, just like I said.

If you live in a historically established and entrenched mixed-language community, you should aspire to be able to operate somewhat in both languages.

We all look pretty bad compared to those Europeans who speak a handful of regional languages passably, but thanks to the march of colonialism, economics and the global media, English really is a special case in general. With the exception of those very geographically isolated communities, I think it's absurd for anyone not to have a working knowledge of English in North America, whatever their mother tongue.

There's not really any reason to argue otherwise, unless it's to point out that soon enough, Mandarin will be the second language we should all have some knowledge of. We're not quite there yet, but it's a good time to start taking those Chinese classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxys View Post
Now there's a good example of good bilingual business in Quebec! Being inclusive, as people who speak two different languages, really shouldnt amount to anything except speaking out of courtesy to fellow neighbors. No politics, no whining.
Agreed. Like we need any other reason to invent differences between us, right? Automaton Toys has the right idea... as an online seller, you want to keep your market open, even beyond simple provincial borders.

zmog

Last edited by SMOG; 06-04-2013 at 09:14 PM.
SMOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #1304
bomoth
Generation 1

were you the one with the 2 g1 astrotrain ? i almost bought them !
bomoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #1305
Grayfox
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhawi View Post

He's back. lol

Flexing those double joints.
That things looks infinitely better that the Transformazing Pandora's Box (I think that's what it's called).
Grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #1306
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOG View Post
Nope. All of us, just like I said.

If you live in a historically established and entrenched mixed-language community, you should aspire to be able to operate somewhat in both languages.

We all look pretty bad compared to those Europeans who speak a handful of regional languages passably, but thanks to the march of colonialism, economics and the global media, English really is a special case in general. With the exception of those very geographically isolated communities, I think it's absurd for anyone not to have a working knowledge of English in North America, whatever their mother tongue.

There's not really any reason to argue otherwise, unless it's to point out that soon enough, Mandarin will be the second language we should all have some knowledge of. We're not quite there yet, but it's a good time to start taking those Chinese classes.
Mandarin is HARD! And learning the characters is even HARDER. I really should have been more serious with my classes... I should have kept at it somehow... most of my two semesters learning Chinese is gone now.

Anyway there is no excuse not to learn English when you live as close to the United States as we do, it's just going to open tons of doors for you. We should all strive to learn more and more languages in fact.
Undrave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #1307
Grayfox
Crossover

Quote:

Speaking of Automaton, has anyone received their Blitzwing and Springer from them yet?
Grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #1308
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
Speaking of Automaton, has anyone received their Blitzwing and Springer from them yet?
They sold out Blitzwing by the time I ordered. Still waiting on my Springer. One month and counting.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #1309
SMOG
zombicon

Quote:
Mandarin is HARD! And learning the characters is even HARDER. I really should have been more serious with my classes... I should have kept at it somehow... most of my two semesters learning Chinese is gone now.
I have a few friends who have studied it, and yeah... very hard. It would probably be easier for a francophone to learn though, because tones are so important, and English is largely tone deaf. In North American English, you can pretty much warp all your vowel sounds, and nobody will ever care as long as the consonants are in the right places. It's much more tolerant of idiosyncratic pronunciation than other languages.

Following that, I wonder if Mandarin will become "internationalized" as it becomes more ubiquitous... looser, simplified, commodified, and hybridized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
I ordered from TFsource, and I still haven't heard a peep from them. I have a feeling we're going to see these on the shelves before the online stores start fulfilling orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhawi View Post
I see you went with a standard Voyager Prime head in the end. I'm tempted to try this myself, but I have to keep reminding myself that I don't care enough for that FOC Optimus to exalt him to this degree.

zmog
SMOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #1310
Protoman
The Legend

Ooooh a french talk in relation to our hobby.

Honestly, if your dealing in pop culture, ENGLISH POP CULTURE, but you only speak french, your just not going to succeed. (Like the doofus with all the TMNT and broken TFs that was bugging me that day to buy his KOs)
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote