Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 12-24-2018, 12:30 AM   #1
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
Transformers: Bumblebee Opening Weekend Box Office Results Are In

Box Office Mojo has updated their website to reflect the*Opening Weekend box office results for*Transformers: Bumblebee. The latest Transformers movie is on 2nd Place with US$ 52.1 Million total (domestic and foreign) revenue against an estimated budget of US$ 135 Million. During the same time frame, Aquaman has raked in US$ 482.8 Million and Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns is in 3rd place with US$ 51.3 Million. However, it is worth noting that unlike Aquaman and Mary Poppins, Bumblebee is yet to be released on most of the Asian continent (including China), Europe and many other countries. Bumblebee will not » Continue Reading.

The post Transformers: Bumblebee Opening Weekend Box Office Results Are In appeared first on Transformer World 2005 - TFW2005.COM.

More...
Old 12-24-2018, 01:00 AM   #2
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: Transformers: Bumblebee Opening Weekend Box Office Results Are In

Good thing they opened during the Christmas break, because that $21 million (the actual domestic take) is the worst opening weekend of any of the movies since they began in 2007.

The holidays should provide ample time to make lots more money. Also as stated once it opens full worldwide it should make a profit, hopefully!!??!!

Seems a shame since the reviews have been so universally good for the movie.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:22 AM   #3
Tonestar
Star Seeker

Paramount should never have released it the same weekend as Aquaman here. Right now super heroes are more popular than robots but hopefully the good "buzz" surrounding the film will help, pardon the pun.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:05 AM   #4
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonestar View Post
Paramount should never have released it the same weekend as Aquaman here. Right now super heroes are more popular than robots but hopefully the good "buzz" surrounding the film will help, pardon the pun.
Yeah as said this is the first time in years that there isn't a Star Wars movie over Christmas. That means everyone else wants to fill that spot, but it looks like Aquaman was the big boy this time around.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #5
Chigimus
Masterpiece

No surprises there. Right from the moment they announced their release date, I knew it was going to be a tough coin flip. In the long term, they will both do well but the opening weekend will see each film eating each other's viewership numbers. I want to see both as do many other people, but franchises like Star Wars/MCU/DCEU all draw larger masses on a wider pop culture scale than Transformers so it should be no surprise to anyone that Aquaman would come out stronger. Even as I was browsing seat selections on the day before opening, there were a lot of nice seat locations left to pick from for BB.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Well... that kind of sucks. A shame, really, as BB looks like a solid step in the right direction, but as others have said, given the choices in the theatre this weekend, my family went with Aquaman. Everything about Aquaman’s marketing was lent to distance it from the rest of the DCEU, (no Justice League references, no Batman or Superman cameos, brighter colour scheme, etc). Bee just didn’t do that. Anyone outside the fandom that I talked to just assumed it was another Bay film, basically treating it like TF6. Quick shots of Cybertron just didn’t distance enough from the smouldering remains of the garbage fire of TF5. Even after watching several reviews I have no idea if this is a reboot, and when you can’t even make that stance for your audience you’re not going to get widespread support outside of the massively devoted. I hope it has decent ‘legs’ and makes better money, but I’m not counting on it. Much like “Solo: A Star Wars Story”, this seems like a good movie cursed by its circumstances.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #7
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Somewhere along the way, executives or producers already publicly declared their intention of this film was to be a prequel. Most of the fandom will view it as a reboot as from the sounds of it, this should've been the live action TF movie we deserved and should've gotten the first time around. With enough outcry, maybe the studios will yield, who knows? But I doubt there will be concern about how well it will do.

Like I said earlier, the profits will level out over the long term to be just as profitable as if it had no competition on the opening weekend with a huge spike. This is just a more balanced progression than your typical short-term blockbuster that stays hot for 2 weeks before the next newest hyped up release topples it. You can bet that internationally in Asian markets, BB will have a huge commanding lead.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
joshimus
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Quinn View Post
Everything about Aquaman’s marketing was lent to distance it from the rest of the DCEU, (no Justice League references, .
Not entirely true. They very briefly mention the battle with Steppenwolf, like briefly as in "Hey you fought Steppenwolf"... on to rest of movie.

I enjoyed Bee and watching that intro I hope to one day get a WFC prequel movie. You can even have Megatronus before he heads to Earth.

I think if anything Bee can somewhat fit in between the '07 movie and at best DOTM but TF5 is already knocked off the list as Bee was never on Earth during WW2 at this point. Consistency has not been really...consistent in the TF movies so...I dunno, but it does bug me.
I hope it does well. There was rumblings of an Optimus prequel (which would be better as a WFC) but it could be interesting having Orion become Prime and how Megatronus and he were friends etc. Then again IF Bee does well, and I say this as someone who likes all 6 films, please not Bay.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

The critics were completely out to lunch on this movie, but thankfully audiences seem to have a bit more taste. I mean, the Bay movies were shit, but at least they found unique ways to be shit. Bumblebee was shit in an absolutely generic Hollywood assembly-line way, which if anything makes it worse.