Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #61
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Re: A bit... underwhelmed by it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstewling View Post
Collectors make up a far larger part of the market than either the retailers or Hasbro are either aware of or willing to admit to.

We buy more frequently and often spend more money than any parent buying for a child, which many of us are doing as well.

The fact their main line (movie toys) for the last 7 years have pretty much been shelfwarmers proves that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
Each movie line has outsold non-movie lines by a significant margin.

Does that chart include licenced non-toy products like popsicles, shampoo, school stationary, bedding, etc etc etc? Or are those numbers just fast action battlers, RPMs, Gravity Bots, Battle Chargers, role play products, legends, deluxes, voyagers, leaders, and supreme figures?

I work with numbers everyday, and they can easily be made to make a point, or hide facts. Looking at that chart above, I'm sure it's gross revenue of ALL products not just toys. I'd like to see the breakdown of cases per size class in each year, in each line. THAT would convince me a little more.

I partially agree with the collectors buying more, have you seen our BST section, a lot of collectors buy the movie toys even though many "suck".

For some of us collectors, when you have a troopbuilder figure in a cartoon, you would tend to get more than just 1 of that figure. What's the standard "Army Build" numbers? 3, 5, 10, and 15? Of course the crazy ones who are rich probably would have more than 15 PRiD Vehicons.

How many non-collector parents would buy more than 2 PRiD Vehicons for each of their kid(s)?

Using me as an example, I have 5 PRiD Vehicons, 10 of each Cyberverse black Vehicon and purple Air Vehicons. How many sets of parents/grandparents would you say is required to make the same quantity of sales?

Side Note on the same vein:
As a Star Wars fan/collector, I did some troop building with the clones from Revenge of the Sith. I had ZERO problems buying them from Wal-Mart or TRU. I didn't have to hide them for collectors; didn't have to travel to multiple stores to get a couple; and I wasn't able to clear out the shelves preventing other people from buying. Even after Revenge of the Sith packaging was over, the figures were re-released with new packaging. So I bought a few more. Oh, did I mention Revenge of Sith clones had several color variations? I bought them as well...5 to 10 of each color variation/mold. Yes, I bought a few other non-Clone figures as well, but just the one and not multiples.

A little too far back because of the different economic era, but how many collectors bought more than 1 Divebomb, or Ravage, or Cruellock/Doomlock, or Insecticon back in the Energon era, just because they were generic troops and multiples of them were seen on the show?

Yes, us collectors aren't in the majority of the target market, but we make up in terms of numbers of what is bought when presented with justification. I'm not going to buy 5 FOC Sideswipes, nor 5 FOC Shockwaves, nor 5 Prime deluxe Arcees, nor 5 Prime legends Fallback, etc etc etc.

Let's not get into seekers, I know there are many of us in the fandom. Plus customizers buy random awesome to crap figures for parts.

But there are lot of parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles who buy random figures for the kids.

With middle class shrinking, how many parents are going to buy figures that are leader-sized and bigger at regular price?

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #62
Marcotron
Robot Master

So I went in to my local toy store, and looked at the grimlock figures. The leader class one is maybe an inch taller than the voyager class, and with like a twenty dollar price difference. I decided on neither. I'll be waiting for a sale after I see the film and how they use/misuse grimlock.
Also, I agree that galvatron is not very exciting as a toy. I'll reserve judgement on him till I see how much screen time he actually gets.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #63
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
Does that chart include licenced non-toy products like popsicles, shampoo, school stationary, bedding, etc etc etc? Or are those numbers just fast action battlers, RPMs, Gravity Bots, Battle Chargers, role play products, legends, deluxes, voyagers, leaders, and supreme figures?
Yes, sales numbers from Hasbro should be viewed with some scepticism. But there is also a basic logic involved.

More product in general is going to be produced when Hasbro knows it will have a hit movie to attach it to. I mean how many Prime First Edition figures got produced that they barely reached American toy shelves?

Hasbro likely produced 100 Movie Bumblebees for every 10 Prime Vehicons. The percentage might even be worse than that.

They then sold those to retailers, who despite the walls of Bumblebee figures, still sold them all at some point, even if half of them were at full price and half at cost.

It is just a hypothetical but I can't imagine a scenario where Hasbro produced as many Transformers Prime toys as it did toys for any of the films.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #64
mcmus
Animated

Intersting is Animated done better than Prime based on the chart. Personally, I think the toy quality for animated is one of the best.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #65
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmus View Post
Intersting is Animated done better than Prime based on the chart. Personally, I think the toy quality for animated is one of the best.
Having more on-screen characters with toys didn't hurt, I'm sure.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #66
Johnstewling
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmus View Post
I don't find it that surprising given Animated was a better show, had a good deal of G1 appeal, and had way more characters on screen that were made into toys.
Johnstewling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #67
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior

I was expecting this mediocrity and had anticipated/expected all but checking out on this movie line myself. Maybe 4-5 purchases tops.
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #68
Wheeljack Off
Banned
Wheeljack Off's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by there_is_a_martens View Post
Sorry gents, but I have to disagree. I was genuinely excited when I walked into TRU and saw their huge TF display. Heck, even my wife went through TRU a day before and called me to tell me about all the toys. She was geeking out over, especially the Leaders. In her words, "I like that they're shiny!" Anyways, bought Voyager Prime and Grimlock and waiting for Hound and Galvatron.
I have been out the last 2 days making sales calls around the GVRD and popped into quite a few walmarts and TRU locations.

To me, there doesn't seem to be much excitement around these figures.

You can go into any location and get any figure you want from this series.

The sheen has worn off...the excitement we all felt when we saw our favorite characters from our youth re-imagined (mis-imagined) and on the big screen is gone...as is the "newness" that those being introduced to the transformers for the first time felt.

This is a much harder sell for Hasbro and the success of this line will probably rest wholly on how the movie is received by the 8-14 year olds it is marketed to.
Wheeljack Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #69
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstewling View Post
I don't find it that surprising given Animated was a better show, had a good deal of G1 appeal, and had way more characters on screen that were made into toys.
Once again we agree. Animated was fresh and exciting, Prime was Safe and Bland.

Didn't help that we don't have the HUB network in Canada though.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #70
Johnstewling
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Once again we agree. Animated was fresh and exciting, Prime was Safe and Bland.

Didn't help that we don't have the HUB network in Canada though.
Agreed, Animated often gets the short end of the stick, but those numbers from Hasbro prove it was a well liked show.
Johnstewling is offline   Reply With Quote