Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #101
Pgianos
Banned
Re: Devastator and Platinum Seekers on Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobkat View Post
Yeah, that's been like that for a while, though they haven't had stock in a long time. Best Buy also had them on clearance online not too long ago.
That predaking is top notch quality. It is so sturdy with the die cast parts. Get it!
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #102
thebobkat
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgianos View Post
That predaking is top notch quality. It is so sturdy with the die cast parts. Get it!
No one has stock. But I already have my Takara Encore Reissue so I'm good

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread Updated DEC 28 2023
thebobkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:04 AM   #103
CanBot
Cybertron

Very surprised to see Platinum Predaking is even available on Walmart. I had to get it from BBTS (but discounted; I guess they weren't moving there either).

Which is just one more reason why Walmart 'should' be selling Platinum Trypticon, for crying out loud. Just dumb.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:39 AM   #104
xbrawn
Banned

Back up to full price
xbrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #105
CanBot
Cybertron

Maybe it's just because I'm stuck somewhat in the past, but to me it's just ridiculous that certain stock is available for such a relatively short period of time. Take Devastator. At the height of G1, you could get him for literally years. The only reason you couldn't was because the series lost that booming popularity, and things had to change. Such is the nature of business.

Now, all you've got is this: buy it when you see it because you just don't know if it's going to be there in a few months. Devy has been around long enough, but at much higher prices. Now that it appears he's gone from retail altogether, all you'll see is his aftermarket price skyrocketing...and people who want him will pay it. Rather than: Hasbro distributing the products on a semi-regular basis, still selling out, but people and fans of the franchise knowing that you can get a product at some point in the future (and not needing to pay triple, in some cases, on ebay).

They actually do this for MPs: they get a few reissues, and yes the prices spike when they're 'out' but they generally come back. Takara can guage the popularity, and those that are popular get reissued. The others shelfwarm and everybody who wants one will generally get the chance.

I just can't see how TF franchise got to be so popular in the 80s, yet today's market can't bear to see Devastator released every six months for say, two years. Instead, Devy is gone and they've gotta make way for Fort Max. Ok, but you can stagger their release so they're not competing at Christmas time, but you need to have your heavy hitters in some kind of rotation. Think of how quickly another Hasbro Soundwave reissue would sell, or better yet, another Starscream.

How can the brand build a strong base when every year the fanbase has only the 'newest' stuff to choose from? And too bad if you want the Stunticon combiners, you're only gonna get Motormaster because all his limbs went out of stock six months ago on store shelves? You can get G2 Menasor, but only as a giftset. There's all this 90% solution stuff going on.

The danger is this: a guy like me, who isn't interested in Titan Wars, will now not buy any Hasbro stuff for an entire year. Maybe longer. But if I had the opportunity to buy some hard to find things that were popular, perhaps I would. They could have even brought out Metroplex again; he was selling all day and night on ebay for $200 USD! And yet Devy gets a modest release at Costco, offset by his very affordable last run online of remaining stock at Walmart. But again, very short windows of opportunity.

Anyways, just some thoughts. I realize retail is tough but perhaps exceptions could be made for the items that are truly popular.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #106
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

Big Box Retail is to blame for this as they want new packaging every 6 - 8 months and not only the retail but I am sure the advertising departments of companies are to blame as they are always pushing for the newest thing
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #107
Xtreme987
Metroplex

For those who still want to get a CW Devy they're are still some available @ Automaton:

http://www.automatontoys.com/hasbro-...-awesome-deal/

Opened/Damaged box though. Mint contents & 100% complete. Good luck.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #108
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

There is a flaw in your thinking and memory.

In the 80's it was not easy to find any of the season one G1 cast when the movie stuff came out, it was basically all on the outs by then and all you could find were season 2 and the new season 3 bots.

At least where I live. I remember some stores having really old stock for years, but not getting old figures again later one.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:21 AM   #109
CanBot
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
There is a flaw in your thinking and memory.

In the 80's it was not easy to find any of the season one G1 cast when the movie stuff came out, it was basically all on the outs by then and all you could find were season 2 and the new season 3 bots.

At least where I live. I remember some stores having really old stock for years, but not getting old figures again later one.
Let's put it this way: you could order Devastator for at least two consecutive Christmas' through Sears...and possibly three, but I wasn't collecting the toys by the time the movie arrived (didn't even come to theatres near us, had to read the comic). But my point is that you could find the toys for years, and with the stores in my town, you could find early G1 stuff such as the seekers or even Megatron (Shockwave as well). I could drool over all the stuff I couldn't get for months and months. You could actually plan for your birthday knowing that the only issue was trying to find a way to pay, not whether or not it would be available to buy.

Yes, it's location dependent. But that was my experience. I know it's a different retail world but there should always be 'some' stock from earlier lines released on a semi-regular basis...especially the popular stuff. In fact, that was always the fun part of looking at store shelves: you honestly didn't know if you'd luck out and find a Stormshadow or Snake Eyes or something (ok, different line, you get my drift). I guess the current means to stock shelves is drastically different. And in some ways, you'd still have scalpers out there doing the same shit and buying up limited products. But that's where even some extra stock sold online-only would be helpful, because at least you have a chance. Can you imagine how cool it would be if, next November, you could find more MP Hasbro Starscreams for sale? Why not? He's a moneymaker, so why not bring him out near Christmas? We're never going to see one on a TRU store shelf, but we sure can order one (that's how I got mine, after all).

I dunno, but I like the idea of it.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #110
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
Let's put it this way: you could order Devastator for at least two consecutive Christmas' through Sears...and possibly three, but I wasn't collecting the toys by the time the movie arrived (didn't even come to theatres near us, had to read the comic). But my point is that you could find the toys for years, and with the stores in my town, you could find early G1 stuff such as the seekers or even Megatron (Shockwave as well). I could drool over all the stuff I couldn't get for months and months. You could actually plan for your birthday knowing that the only issue was trying to find a way to pay, not whether or not it would be available to buy.

Yes, it's location dependent. But that was my experience. I know it's a different retail world but there should always be 'some' stock from earlier lines released on a semi-regular basis...especially the popular stuff. In fact, that was always the fun part of looking at store shelves: you honestly didn't know if you'd luck out and find a Stormshadow or Snake Eyes or something (ok, different line, you get my drift). I guess the current means to stock shelves is drastically different. And in some ways, you'd still have scalpers out there doing the same shit and buying up limited products. But that's where even some extra stock sold online-only would be helpful, because at least you have a chance. Can you imagine how cool it would be if, next November, you could find more MP Hasbro Starscreams for sale? Why not? He's a moneymaker, so why not bring him out near Christmas? We're never going to see one on a TRU store shelf, but we sure can order one (that's how I got mine, after all).

I dunno, but I like the idea of it.
Too be clear, I agree with you 110%. I wish the EXACT same thing, it's really too bad that they don't do that.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote