Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
flexativity
Generation 2
flexativity's Ebay Auctions
Do shipping cost facture in on buying a bot?

Or do you look at the total cost of what it would be to be in your possession? I read alot on this forum people saying especially on ebay that they get ripped off on shipping. As an ebay seller myself I can see why others charge high on shipping, and it's only because ebay charges you a % of your sale. So as a seller we "mask" that ebay % charge by adding it to the shipping, because ebay doesn't take a penny from that. I look at the total, like for united toys. As an example, I've seen predaking 2004 reissue sell for 150 + 200 shipping. I mean that's "outrageous" shipping but really it's 350 total and that's "worth it" I guess in the market today
flexativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Rietzey
Awesomer
Re: Do shipping cost facture in on buying a bot?

Absolutely it does. I can understand wanting to make a buck, but there are points where it's absurd. I'm wary even when something's being sent flat rate shipping; if I'm only buying a deluxe-class figure yet I'm going to be charged more than the figure is worth to ship it, where's the benefit to the customer? This is why, in the last year, I've bought more and more from online retailers and used eBay as a last resort -- shipping from places like Automaton and even the American companies like BBTS and TFSource is generally very reasonable, and if you want something faster (from BBTS/TFSource), you have that choice too if you have no problem paying considerably more.

There are exceptions -- if I need something for my collection badly, I'll often consider paying a higher amount for shipping, especially if it's something that's hard to come by.

Also, while that particular Predaking reissue may go for that much, one can easily get the 2010 reissue now for $200 plus considerably less for shipping (mine cost around $230 shipped when I ordered it last year).

Last edited by Rietzey; 08-31-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Rietzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Pascal
Banned

Total cost (toy + shipping). A low purchase price is useless if shipping is through the roof.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Whenever I buy a bot online, I have several criteria.

1 - Is it available locally?
2 - Price?
3 - Is it discontinued or does it have a chance of showing up at retail locally?
4 - Second hand or new
5 - If not available locally, is shipping reasonable?

Ex. DOTM Voyager Skyhammer is not available locally and I could not find him for sale from forum users. Thus I checked online. He retails at TRU fro $29.99 plus 13% taxes = $33.89 and the $10 (approx.) for shipping. Went online to Ebay and found one for auction with $9.66 for shipping. Auction ended at $12.50. With Shipping, total was equal or lesser than purchasing locally at retail if it was available.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Total cost (toy + shipping). A low purchase price is useless if shipping is through the roof.
Quoted for truth!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Basically if they don't ship USPS First class (from the US) then I don't bother. Priority almost always makes shipping at least $20 more. I just wish we had the same postal rates here as they do in the US. Majority of my single TF purchases are $3-7 from the US, whereas in Canada they start around $12 and take up to 2 weeks in our own damn country.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

I just look at total cost with shipping. Sometimes, overseas sellers may charge double or triple the shipping a North American seller does but it still ends up significantly cheaper overall.

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

Quote:
I agree with the gentleman from Quebec.
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Big Filipino
Protectobot

At the end of the day I only care about how much comes out of my wallet. I could care less how much one charges for shipping as long as the total price is what I'm willing to pay for a toy.
Big Filipino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
This... also if the price of shipping is crazy stupid. It's doesn't give me confidence on the integrity of the seller, and I become reluctant in purchasing from them. I recently asked a seller for shipping cost for an item and got quoted $20 then after I win the auction it all of a sudden changes to $25. WTF. I paid it because it was still worth my while but it's still BS. And I have my finger already on the file a complaint button ready to go, and I'm probably never going to buy from them again.